What's new

The Sprout 2019

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Well, the habanero made it through the nasty storm we had a few weeks ago (hail, high winds, torrential rain, mini twisters), seems no worse for the wear...

Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 10.30.32 PM.png

Starting to give up some bounty...
Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 10.30.10 PM.png

These are much larger than the Ghosts I had last year...
Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 10.29.38 PM.png

We still have yet to have our first triple digit temps, last year we hit 100° in April. Looks like it might happen soon though, forecast calls for 98°/99° next week.

Man that is huge, a meal unto itself although i can't say i know anyone that's going to do that, hot sauce? Super looking plant too, huge plant for huge peppers.

We've been much cooler so far this summer as well, hottest day according to my max/min thermometer, never-sees -sun, was last Friday and 35.4C/95.7F and over 80% humidity, snow's been gone for a while now.
dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Thanks guys. Amazed that it came through that storm relatively unscathed. It was battered and beaten, but this year I put a HD 54" tomato cage over the start and it seems to have helped a lot with supporting it as it matures. Last year I lost quite a few branches from my peppers due to wind.

Last year the weather was hot, hot, hot. This year... wet, wet, wet. My most pesky pest this year has been slugs/snails. They got 4 of the lower hanging habaneros already.

Last edited:
Started harvesting the shelling peas, seeds given to me by one of the farmers at the market. Never grown shelling peas but they did really well, a dish in the works.

IMG_E5629.JPG
WXIUE5600.JPG

Further ripening of Brad's Atomic Grape, never grown these before, not sure what it's going to look like ripe.

IGRGE3610.JPG

Garden Peach, grew these last year, very tasty, just ask the chipmunks. Mostly yellow but have a slight orange/pink blush low down, fuzzy skin like a peach.

WGREE9575.JPG
dave

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Anyone doing a fall garden?

It's been so wet here a spring one would have drownded. Although the wife does have a tomato plant in a container on the front porch. When the big mower gets back from the shop I'm mowing the garden area and tilling up a spot.

Never done a fall one before. Thinking about:

Lettuce
Beets-maybe
Onion
Garlic-maybe
Cabbage
Carrots
Kale
Radish
Spinach

If I can keep the deer out of it. One year they jumped the fence in the summer and ate up the lettuce. Yes, I'm sure it was deer...they left sign. But...I have a good motion detector water sprayer that Aaron recommended that seemed to work well.

What do you guys plant in the fall in your area?

I just keep reseeding open spots with lettuce, mesclun and arugula, radishes all season long, i can have fresh garden salads with my tomatoes until the killing frost hits. Garlic i've been planting mid November for 25 years and harvest third week of July. Still carrying forward the same garlic i bought 25 years ago. Last year added a few new ones from a local framer, we'll soon see how they performed next to mine.
dave

I'll take them off as soon as i notice them.

I tried using them for a few things, made a pesto and froze into cubes to use through the winter, wasn't very impressive. Haven't come up with anything i'd really want to use them for, into the compost.
dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Anyone doing a fall garden?

It's been so wet here a spring one would have drownded. Although the wife does have a tomato plant in a container on the front porch. When the big mower gets back from the shop I'm mowing the garden area and tilling up a spot.

Never done a fall one before. Thinking about:

Lettuce
Beets-maybe
Onion
Garlic-maybe
Cabbage
Carrots
Kale
Radish
Spinach

If I can keep the deer out of it. One year they jumped the fence in the summer and ate up the lettuce. Yes, I'm sure it was deer...they left sign. But...I have a good motion detector water sprayer that Aaron recommended that seemed to work well.

What do you guys plant in the fall in your area?
I planted all kinds of lettuce and kale last fall and grew all of it through the winter. I used a row cover when we had freezes.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
July 20. Our garden has been a bit slow. Cold spring. The last few days have been crazy warm and moist.

Forced Harvest.jpg

Huge amounts I had to take off the garden today. Now the question is if I can use most of it in various dishes over the next couple of days.

Nice batch of lettuce Mike, i've been waging war with a baby rabbit, stopped it getting back at the lettuce patch but tonight found the newly sprouted bush beans nipped off under the netting. Appears it climbs leans onto the netting so it collapses onto the sprouting plants. New fix in order.

Great bowl of tomatoes Aaron!

Gorgeous day here after a couple scorchers, mid 20's (C) and humidity way down, a day for gardening. Harvested the years garlic, radishes, a few tomatoes. With the garlic up have a new bed to seed into, tomorrow.

Garlic, 12 bulbs of Yugoslavia Red, 14 bulbs of Music, boh from new bulbs i bought from a local farmer last year, 43 bulbs of garlic i've been growing on since 1994, i'm guessing that it's "music" as well. The reds pretty small and not very red for me, the music is a bit bigger and mine is the keeper, no surprises. Overall really good year, curing in the basement, follow your nose.

file4-20.jpeg
file5-15.jpeg
file4-22.jpeg
file2-25.jpeg

A few new tomatoes, Wild Boar Farm's Atomic Grape & Indigo Apple, the garden Peach gave up a few...

file-36.jpeg
file3-23.jpeg
file1-25.jpeg
file2-22.jpeg
file3-21.jpeg

Mixed radish pack from Baker's Creek Rare Seeds, great mix!

file-34.jpeg

dave

Top Bottom