What's new

The Sprout 2019

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Nice. All but one of my peppers died. I have no clue why. I'm using the same methods, soil, etc. as prior years but with little to show. Well, I'll have to review things next year.

Dang Aaron, sorry to hear that. Which one survived? Any ideas what caused their deaths?

I have the pequins in pots now but I'm going to try and plant them in the yard in early fall and see if they'll grow 'wild'. I know they'll grow as perennials in Dallas, the Dirt Dr. has a vid showing his.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Dang Aaron, sorry to hear that. Which one survived? Any ideas what caused their deaths?

I have the pequins in pots now but I'm going to try and plant them in the yard in early fall and see if they'll grow 'wild'. I know they'll grow as perennials in Dallas, the Dirt Dr. has a vid showing his.
The pimientos are struggling but they have fruit. To be continued...

Nice. All but one of my peppers died. I have no clue why. I'm using the same methods, soil, etc. as prior years but with little to show. Well, I'll have to review things next year.

The joys of gardening, you just never know... major drag!

Any hypotheses Aaron? New bugs, i think it was you saying there was an uncharacteristic amount of rain, poor drainage, drowned plants?

Didn't grow peppers last year because they bombed the year before that. This year i've half a dozen pots again and touch wood, the ripe ones we've harvested so far have been what we expect, good!
dave

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
We are having a bit of a war in my garden. Ok, where I'm growing veg is pretty much 8' x 8'. I planted fewer cucumbers this year but the few I planted are sneaky buggers. Look away for a couple of days and they are getting their grips on my tomatoes. It takes some untangling but I'm glad they are healthy.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Took down the green bean vines. Its amazing how heavy they were. It broke a lot of my bamboo trellis. A few cherry tomatoes left along with one beefeater. All the herbs are doing fair and the swiss chard and kale are still alive even in this heat. Rained today. Planning the fall/winter garden so I'm perusing my seed catalogs today. Thinking about changing up a few of the varieties of leafy greens for fall...looking.

More new varieties of tomatoes coming along and Hot Portugal peppers happening devoid of bug larva... Amsik paste plants look to be well hung with green tomatoes, fingers crossed, the garlic and basil are ready for sauce making.

Sunset Bumblebee - cherry sized
file1-34.jpeg

Blue Beauty - Wild Boar Farms
file2-28.jpeg

Indigo Apple - Wild Boar Farms
file5-19.jpeg

Liquid Gem - Wild Boar Farms
file-47.jpeg
file4-25.jpeg
file3-27.jpeg

dave

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Those look great Dave. I'm planning to try some of the different tomatoes next spring.

My spring garden is just about done here in N.Carolina. All that's left are three eggplant plants.

Fall is looking too busy for me to devote the required amount of time to the garden so I will just do soil prep for next spring. My garden plot had never been cultivated before this spring so I got really lucky this year. Produced pretty well but should do better next spring.

Tomatoes finally starting to come into their own, four varieties yet to ripen anything but they have lots of green.

IMG_E6298_B&Bsize600.jpg

...................dave

Thanks Aaron and BT. Some interesting new odd colours this year, some we'll grow again some probably not. Hard to properly make the call as i've only one plant of each to base judgement on.
dave

Having a tomato allergy and pepper sensitivity sucks right about now.

Have you read The Botany Of Desire @davent?

Wow, that's for sure! Does the issue extend as well to other nightshades?

I have not read it but checked and see it's available in many formats from my local library. Put it on hold and am second in line. Thank you!
dave

Wow, that's for sure! Does the issue extend as well to other nightshades?

I have not read it but checked and see it's available in many formats from my local library. Put it on hold and am second in line. Thank you!
dave

The book speaks of other plants also, but explains the increase in available apple and garlic types of late. Of which I am grateful for. I hope you’ll enjoy the book. You may have seen the author speaking or featured in a lot of food documentaries.

I am fine with eggplant and potatoes....also extremely grateful for all that I can eat without suffering reactions. I do have over thirty other food sensitivities that I have to diligently watch out for.
Celiac disease and leaky gut has caused those and the pepper sensitivity. The tomato allergy was present but fairly benign as a child (slight contact reaction to the trichomes), and became worse when the c/d struck, or worsened.

The book speaks of other plants also, but explains the increase in available apple and garlic types of late. Of which I am grateful for. I hope you’ll enjoy the book. You may have seen the author speaking or featured in a lot of food documentaries.

I am fine with eggplant and potatoes....also extremely grateful for all that I can eat without suffering reactions. I do have over thirty other food sensitivities that I have to diligently watch out for.
Celiac disease and leaky gut has caused those and the pepper sensitivity. The tomato allergy was present but fairly benign as a child (slight contact reaction to the trichomes), and became worse when the c/d struck, or worsened.

Major drag, never able to let your guard down or pay with nasty consequences. Can't imagine the stress alone that that must create.
dave

Later... caught in the act on another victim. Same young rabbit that has a major appreciation of my various bush and pole beans. We've had a pet rabbit for years and had no idea beans and tomatoes would be so appealing to a fur ball. Haven't seen a rabbit climb a trellis yet so there is hope, probably find a means to topple the trellis.

file2-34.jpeg

Couple varieties from Wild Boar Farms, Amethyst Cream & Indigo Blueberry, Amish Paste for our winter canning.

file1-42.jpeg
file-57.jpeg

dave

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I definitely have to try some of those varieties next year. If they can grow that beautiful fruit in 'Canadia' I can only imagine how they will do here in N.Carolina.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Beautiful stuff gents!

Pequins are starting to produce. Also, got my first 'Jamaican chocolate' habanero this morning.

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 11.36.47 AM.png

Top Bottom