What's new

The Sprout 2019

shavefan

I’m not a fan
While watering this morning I found several Pequins on the ground and on closer inspection I saw tiny holes in all of them. Pepper maggots? @davent does anything in this pic look familiar? I recall you had a battle with pepper maggots a year or so ago...

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 9.18.48 AM.png

With what i was getting the holes were very small, not very noticeable so it wasn't until you cut into them that you encountered the very unwelcome surprise, brown maggots and rot. The holes were pinhole size.

Did you check in that one to see the damage or visitors. With the size of the hole, i'd think exit hole. Cut into any others to see if anythings amiss.

I hadn't had any issues growingin pots until two years ago and i was hit. Didn't try peppers last year but this year we're back at it with six pots of plants, two varieties that worked well for us in the past and 'touch wood', no issues... yet... being very vigilante on the care, cleaning up plant debris and keeping a close watch.

Had great success in the ground growing all kinds of peppers for years and then was hit, plantings had always always been rotated, soil well fed with compost, manure, peat. After the pest arrived stopped growing them for four years and when we tried again same problems.

dave

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
With what i was getting the holes were very small, not very noticeable so it wasn't until you cut into them that you encountered the very unwelcome surprise, brown maggots and rot. The holes were pinhole size.

Did you check in that one to see the damage or visitors. With the size of the hole, i'd think exit hole. Cut into any others to see if anythings amiss.

I hadn't had any issues growingin pots until two years ago and i was hit. Didn't try peppers last year but this year we're back at it with six pots of plants, two varieties that worked well for us in the past and 'touch wood', no issues... yet... being very vigilante on the care, cleaning up plant debris and keeping a close watch.

Had great success in the ground growing all kinds of peppers for years and then was hit, plantings had always always been rotated, soil well fed with compost, manure, peat. After the pest arrived stopped growing them for four years and when we tried again same problems.

dave
That's sad.

FarmerTan

I'm late to the game here, but I have a few questions:

Despite my beautiful tan arms and white belly (sorry for the mental image burned on the retina of your mind), my health has all but curtailed my farming activities. If being disabled enough to be forced out of a job I loved wasn't bad enough, I have had to consider growing in containers next year.

So..... any pointers?

I hope to beat the blues this winter with going back to experimental stuff, i.e., grafting tomato plants, you name it.

Anyone here with experience in those 7 gallon bags you can buy to grow in? Or those self watering containers?

Believe it or not, I kinda feel like the guy in the tv commercial that asks his friend to find him a roofer. Sorry to bug you all! To make it up to you, I will try to find some pics I took of some volunteer tomato plants my neighbors gave me that I planted in the chicken manure pile (if I can figure it out, lol)

Thanks, Gents. You mean more to me than you know.

dave (not that "nt" one)

shavefan

I’m not a fan

dave

Yes, I cut into the one's I found that had holes and a few random others that seemed fine externally. Nothing amiss... I suppose I can live with it, it seems to be affecting a relatively small part of the population, so far. Thanks.

Seems to me it was a wasp of some sort I’d seen that was ovipositing in the tops of the datils I grew years back.

Good to know, thanks.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yes, I cut into the one's I found that had holes and a few random others that seemed fine externally. Nothing amiss... I suppose I can live with it, it seems to be affecting a relatively small part of the population, so far. Thanks.

Good to know, thanks.
I've grown both the pequin and the tepin. I've seen nothing like your picture. My guess is a small worm from a moth. Query "pepper insects" for a good summary of what may be happening.

Pepperhead love.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I've grown both the pequin and the tepin. I've seen nothing like your picture. My guess is a small worm from a moth. Query "pepper insects" for a good summary of what may be happening.

Pepperhead love.

Yep, I Googled, before I posted about it actually.

The only thing I can find about tiny holes in peppers is worms or pepper maggots (why I reached out to @davent). As far as I can glean there are no control methods. The leaves are fine and healthy as are the plants themselves. I agree with Dave, an exit hole.

BTW, I'm liking these Pequins, a lot! I need to try Tepin next year too.

My search proved futile as well, no where close to identifying what the issue might be, what might be responsible. The joys of gardening... always just enough rewards to keep you coming back for another kick at the can.

So..... any pointers?

I hope to beat the blues this winter with going back to experimental stuff, i.e., grafting tomato plants, you name it.

Anyone here with experience in those 7 gallon bags you can buy to grow in? Or those self watering containers?

dave (not that "nt" one)

Hi Dave, I did try dwarf tomatoes in 5gal bag containers last year and the plants did really well up to a point and then they tanked. That and i believe it was chipmunks that seemed to need to sample each and every fruit that had set so got nothing from them. Had grown none of these varieties before, no idea where i screwed up but no reason they shouldn't work fine. I grow other tomatoes and peppers in pots with no issues.

Aaron i believe has had good success with the seven gallon versions.

To start...

For any pot, make sure it has drainage holes, (the bags drain fine without holes).

Use a soilless potting mix, i mix my own using peat moss, compost or aged manure and finally coarse builders sand (or perlite if you already have it on hand) to improve drainage, 7:3:1 ratio.

dave with 'nt'

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yep, ive had really great success with the grow bags...love em. I use two parts soiless mix, one part homemade compost and one part cow manure from Lowes or homedepot.

Despite my beautiful tan arms and white belly (sorry for the mental image burned on the retina of your mind), my health has all but curtailed my farming activities. If being disabled enough to be forced out of a job I loved wasn't bad enough, I have had to consider growing in containers next year.

So..... any pointers?

Believe it or not, I kinda feel like the guy in the tv commercial that asks his friend to find him a roofer. Sorry to bug you all! To make it up to you, I will try to find some pics I took of some volunteer tomato plants my neighbors gave me that I planted in the chicken manure pile (if I can figure it out, lol)

dave (not that "nt" one)

I’m not so well myself much of the time, so I understand your plight. I will gather some helpful info and share. Not well now, this will be brief. I use bags and buckets, as the garden plot gets decimated by rabbits. Fencing for them at the garden plot hasn’t been feasible at this point in time.

I use/re-use hydroton balls in the bottoms of my containers for drainage. They are calcined clay(?) “marbles” with some porosity rather than a glazed surface. Buckets are all drilled for drainage. The synthetic fiber (sort of a felt) bags have not done well for me. Plastic bags keep the moisture better and seem to drain through their holes better. With the fabric ones I’ve used, the soils seemed to either dry too fast or stay too saturated. I place much of them off the ground on patio bricks. This helps keep rabbits out, but not squirrels and 13 striped ground squirrels. I still find walnuts planted now and then and rarely a plant damaged.

I amend soils and can later send the name of a helpful container growing book, that discuss all aspects of container growing, and indoor under light growing, nutrients, and hydroponics. Any brew and grow shop would carry them.

I’ve grown in the bags that soils come in as well. Green sand was maybe one of the better amendments I had success with. I rarely see it. I make compost tea from the pile to water with, and rooting formula from willow branches (extracting the Indole-3-butyric acid and salicylic acid by steeping the tender young willow shoots.
Diatomaceous earth for pests control, as a soil amendment or cover (sand works for the latter too) to reduce fungus gnat damage to roots.

Hey I will try and post more later when on my feet and some symptoms subside. You can do quite well with container growing.

Last edited:
Mexican Sour Gherkins grown in ground on old split rail post. I’m slicing and placing in coconut vinegar with aronia berry syrup, for keeping. Good snacking too. Not as sour as they may sound. Cross of cucumber and melon I think, which is a name they go by as I recall-cucurmelon, but I wouldn’t quote me on that.
D529AEC3-0BE9-4B18-A7CE-E5D50EDD7018.jpeg
361CD36D-B0F8-4F26-BE7F-60F60F252908.jpeg
40E08A7C-7688-4D0F-A527-F59A591E8294.jpeg

Then a ginger that is sprouting.
32966C6E-D4AE-44D8-8938-B69EB6B02E78.jpeg

We grew those little sours one year back a number, they grew like wildfire, feed an army. Looks real good.
Are you going to plant the ginger?
dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan

FarmerTan

I’m not so well myself much of the time, so I understand your plight. I will gather some helpful info and share. Not well now, this will be brief. I use bags and buckets, as the garden plot gets decimated by rabbits. Fencing for them at the garden plot hasn’t been feasible at this point in time.

I use/re-use hydroton balls in the bottoms of my containers for drainage. They are calcined clay(?) “marbles” with some porosity rather than a glazed surface. Buckets are all drilled for drainage. The synthetic fiber (sort of a felt) bags have not done well for me. Plastic bags keep the moisture better and seem to drain through their holes better. With the fabric ones I’ve used, the soils seemed to either dry too fast or stay too saturated. I place much of them off the ground on patio bricks. This helps keep rabbits out, but not squirrels and 13 striped ground squirrels. I still find walnuts planted now and then and rarely a plant damaged.

I amend soils and can later send the name of a helpful container growing book, that discuss all aspects of container growing, and indoor under light growing, nutrients, and hydroponics. Any brew and grow shop would carry them.

I’ve grown in the bags that soils come in as well. Green sand was maybe one of the better amendments I had success with. I rarely see it. I make compost tea from the pile to water with, and rooting formula from willow branches (extracting the Indole-3-butyric acid and salicylic acid by steeping the tender young willow shoots.
Diatomaceous earth for pests control, as a soil amendment or cover (sand works for the latter too) to reduce fungus gnat damage to roots.

Hey I will try and post more later when on my feet and some symptoms subside. You can do quite well with container growing.
Wow! Thanks so much!

I look at stuff on the internet but that is usually too general.

Now I will try to post the pic of my transplanted volunteer 'maters. I'm hopeful that they taste good, as they typically grow a lot of heirloom varieties!

We grew those little sours one year back a number, they grew like wildfire, feed an army. Looks real good.
Are you going to plant the ginger?
dave
Yes, I just did plant it in a container in case I choose to bring it in at end of season. I’ve grown turmeric like this. Fresh it is so much of a different flavor and texture. I expect the ginger will be too, just as garlic is. Not drastically different I guess, but pleasing to me, before the dessication, I suppose it is, concentrates things.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

So..... any pointers?

dave (not that "nt" one)

Hi Dave.

I've enjoyed growing some veg on my decks in 15, 5, and 3 gallon "Smart pots". I've used a mix which is roughly 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss. I think this might have been due to reading a post from the "nt" Dave guy. Definitely the 15 gallon bags are heavy. I tend to get them in place and then fill them from smaller containers. I had a great crop of purple peppers last year. This year I mostly used them for cherry tomatoes.

On YouTube CaliKim29 has a great bunch of videos on container gardening.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Sneaky cukes.

I planted fewer cucumbers this year . . . but I seem to be getting the same harvest. We were having new fence put up and the guys were working long days and the days they were not working it was raining. I swear these things go from tiny to huge very quickly.

Coo Coo Cumbers-203626.jpg

FarmerTan

Hi Dave.

I've enjoyed growing some veg on my decks in 15, 5, and 3 gallon "Smart pots". I've used a mix which is roughly 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss. I think this might have been due to reading a post from the "nt" Dave guy. Definitely the 15 gallon bags are heavy. I tend to get them in place and then fill them from smaller containers. I had a great crop of purple peppers last year. This year I mostly used them for cherry tomatoes.

On YouTube CaliKim29 has a great bunch of videos on container gardening.
Thanks for the information! Those cukes look tasty. I'm away at present, but our son tells us that our neighbor has delivered 4 bags full! Pickles anyone? lol

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I didn't till up a regular garden this year, so I don't have much to contribute.

While watering this morning I found several Pequins on the ground and on closer inspection I saw tiny holes in all of them. Pepper maggots? @davent does anything in this pic look familiar? I recall you had a battle with pepper maggots a year or so ago...

View attachment 1009699

Looks like birds to me. I've caught them eating peppers, even the Habaneros! I heard birds aren't affected by capsicum. Also caught some wasps eating on them.

The wife did a couple of containers of tomatoes and a lemon tree. It's been so hot the 'maters did nothing, but we have little green lemons on the lemon tree. I may transplant the lemon tree to the garden area.

DSC_0001 (2).JPG

Top Bottom