What's new

The Speakeasy Acquisitions 2021

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
First post in this section. Got this stuff for my birthday/ fathers day this year! I'm excited as I'm an alcohol newb. Been dabbling with beers the last year or two with too much success. Have been wanting to try some different types of liquors. Pretty excited to try all this stuff out. Never tried anything of this nature before so it might get interesting haha

I went from never drinking liquor straight to Scotch. Wow, that was a nightmare. I hated it. Then I tried some American Whiskey….yuck!. I finally settled on Rum. I‘ve found several rums that I enjoy on the rocks. I was recently gifted a bottle of Jameson. To my surprise it wasn’t that bad. IDK if my taste is maturing because of the Rum or what. I guess we all gotta start somewhere.

Thanks!

I went from never drinking liquor straight to Scotch. Wow, that was a nightmare. I hated it. Then I tried some American Whiskey….yuck!. I finally settled on Rum. I‘ve found several rums that I enjoy on the rocks. I was recently gifted a bottle of Jameson. To my surprise it wasn’t that bad. IDK if my taste is maturing because of the Rum or what. I guess we all gotta start somewhere.

Oh wow. Rum is something I would definitely like to try out sometime. Hopefully my taste will mature as well haha. I didn't really care much for wines other than maybe sangria. Beers have been hit or miss. Some have been ok but I usually get half way through one and get tired of the bitter flavors. Definitely done better with the darker less bitter beers. The first bourbon experience yesterday went ok. The flavors were good although I wasn't able to pick out some of the deeper flavors yet. I didn't even mind the light burn when I tried it neat. More sweetness popped out with an ice cube added for sure. Maight take me a few to get used to this level of alcohol. That feeling like I'm drinking rubbing alcohol haha. I'll get there. First bourbon went way better than the first beer hahaha. Took a little bit to tune into pipe tobacco flavors too. Looking forward to trying more stuff though. Rum is one towards the top of the list.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Thanks a bunch! Might take me a bit to get used to them and tasting the deeper flavors but it should be fun and interesting 😁👍
You’ll find that tasting Whisk(e)y is a lot like shaving. Everyone’s palate and tastes are different. I have a big sweet tooth so the sweeter flavors like maple syrup, caramel, and burnt sugar tend to stand out to me. Some of the very well known Whiskey reviewers will say they taste “burnt leather” or other off the wall things like that. If someone tells me they taste burnt leather in a drink my first reaction is why have you been chewing on burnt leather? Some Scotch on the other hand Does indeed taste like iodine, sea weed, and smoke.

You’ll find that tasting Whisk(e)y is a lot like shaving. Everyone’s palate and tastes are different. I have a big sweet tooth so the sweeter flavors like maple syrup, caramel, and burnt sugar tend to stand out to me. Some of the very well known Whiskey reviewers will say they taste “burnt leather” or other off the wall things like that. If someone tells me they taste burnt leather in a drink my first reaction is why have you been chewing on burnt leather? Some Scotch on the other hand Does indeed taste like iodine, sea weed, and smoke.
I too have a sweet tooth haha. Thats exactly what my first bourbon was like. Definitely got the sweetness. Although it wasn't a specific sweetness. Maybe maple brown sugar kinda sweet if I had to put a label on it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

That doesn't really surprise me at all. Rum tends to be more "approachable" as a neat spirit, and Scotch whisky tends to be the least. American whiskey is all over the place, so it might matter which one you try first. Irish whiskey also is a pretty good place to start with whiskey, since it tends to be mighty smooth and often does not have some of the flavors that turn folks off Scotch.

I know what you mean about hating Scotch right off the bat. The first Scotch I ever tried was when I was 17 and I had a highball with some form of Johnnie Walker (I'm nearly positive it was Red Label, but I never saw the bottle and didn't know enough to ask at the time). That was a VERY hard drink to suffer though, but my pride demanded it (ah, the teen years).

While I typically abhore the term "approachable," it sort of fits here.

9135BA68-3151-4FB9-9393-B63D12AA1AF5.jpeg

Last edited:
Had to crack the 12 tonight. Soooo much better than the last bottle of Weller 12 I was able to get. The last bottle was heavy with wood and grass notes. This bottle has those notes, but they are much more subdued. An online description of "caramel, dark cherry, and orange" seems to fit perfectly. The finish is loooong. Worth the $30 if you can find it!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Went to two large liquor stores (Total and Spec's) looking for Knob Creek bourbon. Saw a few bottles of Knob rye but no bourbon. I really wanted either the 12 YO or the 121 but would have taken basic knob. Nuthin. Ok, martinis it is!

Went to two large liquor stores (Total and Spec's) looking for Knob Creek bourbon. Saw a few bottles of Knob rye but no bourbon. I really wanted either the 12 YO or the 121 but would have taken basic knob. Nuthin. Ok, martinis it is!

Not sure where you're located, but I was in both of those today as well. Plenty of Knob Creek to go around here. I find myself going to Specs less and less since Total Wine has such a much better selection. The Total had a power outage today while I was there. They were individually walking customers through the store to help them get what they needed and then checking them out.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Not sure where you're located, but I was in both of those today as well. Plenty of Knob Creek to go around here. I find myself going to Specs less and less since Total Wine has such a much better selection. The Total had a power outage today while I was there. They were individually walking customers through the store to help them get what they needed and then checking them out.
I am in Austin. I go to Total almost always. I was a tad surprised. May try Twin on Monday. I had a Peerless rye old fashioned. Poor me.

Top Bottom