What's new

The Search For The Elusive Alden Ravello Chukka Boot

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
There are a variety of threads here in the Habadashery that have been discussing some of the more exotic shell cordovan offerings by Alden. Just recently, Joel picked up a pair of Cigar shell cordovan chukkas and whiskey shell cordovan plain toe bluchers. But more to the point, I believe the shop where he purchased them did not offer these particular items on their website (if I'm not mistaken).

Several years ago I found myself in the same quandary with cigar shell cordovan. I swore that the next time I saw them, I would not hesitate one split-second and as soon as I found them... BAM! I pulled the trigger and have been quite happy with the cigar plain toe blucher.

Now, I have been in search of the Ravello shell cordovan chukka boot for quite some time. When they were offered some time ago by various webstores, I dilly-dallied and never pulled the trigger. Now, to my dismay, they are no longer available... anywhere!

I recently sent out emails to four Alden retailers searching for that elusive pair of Ravello chukkas that may have fallen off the shelf in the stock room or that some customer ordered and forgot to pick up, a return, a "no forwarding address"... Anything.

So far I have received two responses. Both negative. One retailer indicated that the "more exotic shell offerings" were at least a year away and that I could put my name on a waiting list (which I did).

I am sure that along this journey I will run into chance sitings of Jim Morrison, Arthur Rimbaud, DB Cooper, The Loch Ness Monster and Sasquatch but, hopefully, I will encounter the elusive Alden Ravello Shell Cordovan Chukka Boot.

So the search begins... :scooter:

The search is half the fun. Knowing that any schmo off the street can't just whip out a credit card and buy a pair adds to the "cool factor" :001_cool:
The simple design of the ptb and chukka, coupled with the unique, rare, yet subdued colors really whisper sophisticated elegance - which appeals to me.

Good luck with your search!

Forgot to mention, if you can get a quorum of about 10-15 fellas together who are willing to go in on a run of ravello, I can get a custom run made and I'm sure I can work some magic on the timeframe. Count me in, so we're already at 2..

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Forgot to mention, if you can get a quorum of about 10-15 fellas together who are willing to go in on a run of ravello, I can get a custom run made and I'm sure I can work some magic on the timeframe. Count me in, so we're already at 2..

What sort of price range are we talking about here?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 580

Make that 3, but I'm going to have to try the chukkas on someplace first so that I get the size correct.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Beautiful indeed.
At 661 USD, not exactly cheap but I see why you would love to own a pair!

With proper care, they should last 20 years. That comes to about 33 bucks a year. Pretty inexpensive in the long run. :biggrin:

Also, heard from 3rd retailer today. No luck.

Last edited:
They do. My color 8 chukka are 8.5EEE

You are correct - I have bought color 8 in 3 E from Shoemart but as far as I know based on calling them, they don't make up ravello, whiskey or cigar in the extra wide fittings. AE also make a 3E and I have their dark brown Dundee which is very close to cigar but they don't make a light color. It might be worth asking them if they can do a ravello or equivalent - they are certainly a perfect fit for my feet. AE seems to be a bit more responsive than Alden in my limited experience.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Heard from 4th retailer and it looks like I'm SOL.

As Joel suggested, I will enjoy the search.

The search continues... :scooter:

You may have better luck in the search for eight other guys here willing to pony up for a special run à la Joel ...

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Sent another inquiry to another retailer.

Record so far: 0-4

I think the only other cordovan chukka I would consider would be by Ron Rider.

Be persistent and phone rather than e-mail. I built a good collection through The Shoe Mart, Alden DC and Alden in NYC. Alden of Carmel and J. Gilbert helped as well. Good service from all. Lefott has excellent service and now handles wider sizes if that is an issue. Sometimes you just might have to wait 12-18 months to get the rare colour in your size. In the last three years it has become easier to get the odd ones. Only place I didn't find helpful was Leather Soul. Alden makes a decent product and cordovan really takes a licking while looking good. I have examples of all the colours but for colour 4. Cigar tops my list for all round shoes and boots. Good luck. Some Ravello teasers, both pair with many miles out in rain or shine... they darken with age.$Revello Chukas Post (1280x816).jpg$Revello Long Wings Post (1280x688).jpg If you hang around Ask Andy or Style Forums you will find some big Alden fans and some info on upcoming make ups.

Last edited:
With proper care, they should last 20 years. That comes to about 33 bucks a year. Pretty inexpensive in the long run. :biggrin:

Also, heard from 3rd retailer today. No luck.

If it is any consolation, I heard from Leffot's about those saddle shoes. Looks like I'll have to keep looking for my first pair of Aldens.

Top Bottom