What's new

The Search For The Elusive Alden Ravello Chukka Boot

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Really nice! Is that working against a shoe tree to support the vamp? I’m guessing that the oil from the bone helps with the shine.

I bought a pair of AE Dundee 2 in what AE calls Bourbon in one of their trunk sales. Quite similar to Ravello color. One shoe has creased quite a lot and has a couple of the sharp, angular type creases that I have not seen in color 8 or cigar. It might be worth the investment in a deer bone and some hard work.

Yes, the shoe trees remain inside the shoe when using the deer bone. After seeing some videos and the results obtained, I had to see for myself and committed myself to the task at hand and now I am a believer in the deer bone process.

Work on those Dundee 2 for a few hours with a deer bone (I work on/shine shoes while watching a football or basketball game) and you will get results. :thumbup:

I cannot believe it’s been 6 years since you landed these things.

I’m definitely approaching the age where new shell Cordovan shoes are going to outlast me. :yesnod:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Taking the good china out tonight.
6ED16BB3-16CB-4E6D-A185-0BFBEADCA001.jpeg

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Closing in on 8 years since finding the elusive ravello chukka. Giving them some care and upkeep.

Although I was skeptical about its efficacy, the deer bone really works wonders on shell cordovan. :thumbup1:

It does take some effort but it definitely pays off.

199B2170-3613-4BC8-8380-8D82B5660753.jpeg

Last edited:
They are looking very good. It looks as if ravello is very similar to bourbon in color. One of the nicest colors for shell imo.

I have one of the deer bone slips that does a fairly good job on creases. The full femur or whatever bone it is looks as if it would really do the job. I should really get one.

It looks as if you gave up on using the extra lace hole.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Closing in on 8 years since finding the elusive ravello chukka. Giving them some care and upkeep.

Remembering your recent thread about getting rid of many pairs of shoes ... I certainly hope these are some of the "keepers"!!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The full femur or whatever bone it is looks as if it would really do the job. I should really get one.
You should give it a try. I think you’ll like the results on your bourbons. It seems antithetical to give the shell leather a real vigorous going over with the deer bone but it really does a nice job smoothing out the creases which of course reappear as soon as you take the first step. But man, that’s one helluva first step. :lol:

It looks as if you gave up on using the extra lace hole.

I hardly ever used it and once I got used to two eyelets, I never looked back.

Now it’s only purpose is like leaving a working button undone on your jacket sleeve. :biggrin:

Remembering your recent thread about getting rid of many pairs of shoes ... I certainly hope these are some of the "keepers"!!
I have a nephew who is a bit of an Alden-addict and happens to have the same shoe size as me. Whenever we greet each other he first looks at the shoes I’m wearing and then asks me:

“How’s your health?” :huh:

As for being keepers, I’ll borrow Saddleback Leather’s slogan:

“They will fight over it when you’re dead.”

These chukkas are not going anywhere. :thumbup1:

Now it’s only purpose is like leaving a working button undone on your jacket sleeve.
Excellent! Like a pieced ear with no earring. Sprezzatura lives. It still must have been stressful to watch someone punch the holes in a new pair of shoes.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Excellent! Like a pieced ear with no earring. Sprezzatura lives. It still must have been stressful to watch someone punch the holes in a new pair of shoes.

I’m sweating just thinking about it. Looking back, all I can say is: “what in the world was I thinking?!” 😳

You should give it a try. I think you’ll like the results on your bourbons. It seems antithetical to give the shell leather a real vigorous going over with the deer bone but it really does a nice job smoothing out the creases which of course reappear as soon as you take the first step. But man, that’s one helluva first step. :lol:

Now it’s only purpose is like leaving a working button undone on your jacket sleeve. :biggrin:

I have a nephew who is a bit of an Alden-addict and happens to have the same shoe size as me. Whenever we greet each other he first looks at the shoes I’m wearing and then asks me:

“How’s your health?” :huh:

As for being keepers, I’ll borrow Saddleback Leather’s slogan:

“They will fight over it when you’re dead.”

These chukkas are not going anywhere. :thumbup1:
Your nephew the doctor? What did they teach him at that medical school?

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
MRS. GOLD STRIKES BACK!!!! :lol:

So, I’ve taken to leaving the left boot of the elusive Alden ravello chukka sitting in the sun every day.

The shell cordovan leather on the left boot is slightly darker than the right boot so I’m attempting to fade it a bit with the sunlight.

While at the office today, I received a text from Mrs Gold that contained this photo and a message that read:

“Living its best life”. 😳😀😎

B057B4D3-1E94-4981-B3A4-48A305FBD436.jpeg

I’m so proud of Mrs. Gold (and slightly disturbed).

She’s still adorable. :thumbup1:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Alden Ravello Shell cordovan chukka got the “spa” treatment today.

Deer and sleeking bone.

An application of Saphir Renovateur

A light application of Saphir mahogany wax

A light application of Saphir Fawn polish.

Oh yeah…. And lots of BRUSHING! 🤪

Getting started..
IMG_6821.jpeg

One done
IMG_6822.jpeg

Both done
IMG_6825.jpeg
IMG_6826.jpeg
IMG_6824.jpeg

IMG_6829.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom