What's new

The Scandal Sheet: Straights and other stuff

Had a nice shave today, the little E.A. Berg was up for frameback Friday, accompanied by the nicely floppy/poofy Vestavia silvertip. Soap was MdC rose. DE work was the RROT, Bic (2). Only thing of note, it seemed like neither razor was getting quite as close as I expected, I had to work for it a little more. I kind of think it may be the soap. Not that MdC is bad, at all. It's quite good. But I think Stirling Beeswax is a notch better in that department. Finished up with the Veg, no drama there at all.

My right ear is still not at 100%, and maybe it won't ever be at this point, but I decided I couldn't take one more silent drive to work, so I listened to Tony Rice's debut album, Guitar. "Salt Creek" is such a nice little fiddle tune. Love it.

Be well.
20240419_072214.jpg

Another great shave today, so good I forgot to take a photo. Almost forgot to use aftershave. Could have easily skipped it. The straight was my Henckels Friodur. Been experimenting more with my little Escher hone and this razor really came out nice. Really smooth.

Beeswax for the soap again. I ordered a couple refill pucks this morning as my tub is almost gone.

DE was playing around with the Fatip Retro and the RROT, both with Bics with a few shaves on them. The Retro is so smooth... the RR is still getting a tiny bit closer. I loaded a GSB in the RROT for tomorrow.

The boy has an orchestra concert this afternoon and ma and dad are driving up for it. It'll be nice to see them.

Be well.

Another great shave today, so good I forgot to take a photo. Almost forgot to use aftershave. Could have easily skipped it. The straight was my Henckels Friodur. Been experimenting more with my little Escher hone and this razor really came out nice. Really smooth.

Beeswax for the soap again. I ordered a couple refill pucks this morning as my tub is almost gone.

DE was playing around with the Fatip Retro and the RROT, both with Bics with a few shaves on them. The Retro is so smooth... the RR is still getting a tiny bit closer. I loaded a GSB in the RROT for tomorrow.

The boy has an orchestra concert this afternoon and ma and dad are driving up for it. It'll be nice to see them.

Be well.
Enjoy the concert!

Catching up from the weekend. I logged on enough to try to at least stay on top of the new posts, especially in this section (not easy, there is a lot going on in everyone's lives, it sounds like), but not a lot of time to write, and that's ok. My son's concert on Saturday was very good. The first half, especially, was at another level than what I've heard from this group-- and they are very, very good normally. The second half was a little more ragged...well, that's the wrong word, really, but ragged in comparison to the first half. They played Stravinksy's Firebird Suite in its entirety for the second half, and I have to remind myself that the first 2/3 of that piece is legitimately challenging for any orchestra. So.

Apparently high strings actually dulled my tinnitus down to almost imperceptible, I was shocked after their first piece, in the dead silence in the hall that my ears weren't ringing. First time in months. I know that Mrs. Scandalous has experimented with various audio apps that are designed to interfere with tinnitus and has found some relief (the idea being that by stimulating the ears in the ranges where there are hearing deficits, that the brain temporarily stops trying to fill in those gaps). Those have never worked for me. Nor does listening to music on headphones or on a stereo. Perhaps more live orchestral music in my life wouldn't be a bad thing.

One of the downsides of my current condition is that not only is my hearing worse in some ranges, but it's more sensitive in others. So, a long concert was pretty fatiguing. But still well worth it. I'm grateful that I can hear it at all.

We had a nice visit with ma and dad. They're both nearly 80, but in pretty good health and quite active. Mom has been sliding, very slowly, mentally, for years now and I can tell it's getting harder for dad. But they're starting to talk about the future--moving off the farm and trying to figure out what to do with all their stuff. Dad isn't ready for that. And I don't blame him. But at least it's on his radar.

My son has some drama with his mother right now. I won't go into details but it's been brewing for a long time. I hope they can figure out how to get through it.

Dad said, "so...do you have any new razors?" Well, as a matter of fact, yes. Yes I do. So I got to show those off and nerd out about spheroidization and carbide structures for a bit.

Shaves, they were uneventful. Yesterday was one of the new-to-me Kikuboshis, today was a French rattler. I used a GSB in my RROT (shimmed) and that was interesting. Smoother than I remember but the sharpness is not quite where I need it. Today, in fact, I managed to get what looked like actual razor burn in a small spot on my adam's apple. Haven't seen that in years. But a little yarrow balm followed by Myrsol cleared it up.

I also shaved the cat this morning. Well, not the whole cat. But she had a couple of very matted dreadlocks on her back near her tail, when we got her, and Mrs. Scandalous tried trimming them out, which took care of one of them, but the other came back. So I trimmed it off with hair shears (which the cat actually really appreciated, because it's been bugging her), and then took it down a little closer with the plastic med prep razor. Not BBS, but enough that hopefully it will grow back normal. The razor must have tugged a little, because she got a little squirmy. But now she's got a nickel sized bald spot on her back and probably feel a lot better for it.

In the little bit of time I was on here yesterday, I also managed to buy a New SC off the BST. Been real curious to try one of these and this one was the right price. Will need some polish but looks sound. Given my preferences so far for securely clamped open combs, I think this might be right in my wheelhouse.

Be well, everyone, really. I think about all you guys and what you're going through, all the time.

Catching up from the weekend. I logged on enough to try to at least stay on top of the new posts, especially in this section (not easy, there is a lot going on in everyone's lives, it sounds like), but not a lot of time to write, and that's ok. My son's concert on Saturday was very good. The first half, especially, was at another level than what I've heard from this group-- and they are very, very good normally. The second half was a little more ragged...well, that's the wrong word, really, but ragged in comparison to the first half. They played Stravinksy's Firebird Suite in its entirety for the second half, and I have to remind myself that the first 2/3 of that piece is legitimately challenging for any orchestra. So.

Apparently high strings actually dulled my tinnitus down to almost imperceptible, I was shocked after their first piece, in the dead silence in the hall that my ears weren't ringing. First time in months. I know that Mrs. Scandalous has experimented with various audio apps that are designed to interfere with tinnitus and has found some relief (the idea being that by stimulating the ears in the ranges where there are hearing deficits, that the brain temporarily stops trying to fill in those gaps). Those have never worked for me. Nor does listening to music on headphones or on a stereo. Perhaps more live orchestral music in my life wouldn't be a bad thing.

One of the downsides of my current condition is that not only is my hearing worse in some ranges, but it's more sensitive in others. So, a long concert was pretty fatiguing. But still well worth it. I'm grateful that I can hear it at all.

We had a nice visit with ma and dad. They're both nearly 80, but in pretty good health and quite active. Mom has been sliding, very slowly, mentally, for years now and I can tell it's getting harder for dad. But they're starting to talk about the future--moving off the farm and trying to figure out what to do with all their stuff. Dad isn't ready for that. And I don't blame him. But at least it's on his radar.

My son has some drama with his mother right now. I won't go into details but it's been brewing for a long time. I hope they can figure out how to get through it.

Dad said, "so...do you have any new razors?" Well, as a matter of fact, yes. Yes I do. So I got to show those off and nerd out about spheroidization and carbide structures for a bit.

Shaves, they were uneventful. Yesterday was one of the new-to-me Kikuboshis, today was a French rattler. I used a GSB in my RROT (shimmed) and that was interesting. Smoother than I remember but the sharpness is not quite where I need it. Today, in fact, I managed to get what looked like actual razor burn in a small spot on my adam's apple. Haven't seen that in years. But a little yarrow balm followed by Myrsol cleared it up.

I also shaved the cat this morning. Well, not the whole cat. But she had a couple of very matted dreadlocks on her back near her tail, when we got her, and Mrs. Scandalous tried trimming them out, which took care of one of them, but the other came back. So I trimmed it off with hair shears (which the cat actually really appreciated, because it's been bugging her), and then took it down a little closer with the plastic med prep razor. Not BBS, but enough that hopefully it will grow back normal. The razor must have tugged a little, because she got a little squirmy. But now she's got a nickel sized bald spot on her back and probably feel a lot better for it.

In the little bit of time I was on here yesterday, I also managed to buy a New SC off the BST. Been real curious to try one of these and this one was the right price. Will need some polish but looks sound. Given my preferences so far for securely clamped open combs, I think this might be right in my wheelhouse.

Be well, everyone, really. I think about all you guys and what you're going through, all the time.
Do you have hearing aids for the Tinnitus? I understand that they are supposed to help.

Do you have hearing aids for the Tinnitus? I understand that they are supposed to help.
Not yet. They do help. I have my first appointment with an ENT and audiologist later this week, so will probably get some answers there. I hope. Generally speaking with the sort of condition I have, they would want to make sure the hearing loss is stabilized before prescribing hearing aids-- which is was my wife's experience, she had to wait several months and was frankly miserable but is pretty happy with hers.

I actually don't think I have a lot of hearing loss yet, so it's unlikely that I'll be getting hearing aids anytime soon. One of the things with these middle/inner ear disorders is if they can prevent or at least minimize the attacks, they can prevent permanent hearing loss. So hopefully we're catching this early enough...and while my current levels of tinnitus are annoying, I can live with it. For now.

Part of me worries that I'm just crazy and they'll tell me there's nothing wrong with me. I mean, I am crazy, but not in that way. So.

Years of riding motorcycles have given me tinnitus as well, I am used to it now. I did use earplugs on the trip this weekend. I have earplugs that allow some sound through but block the harmful excessive noise. Good luck with the tinnitus. It seems you had an interesting weekend as well.

When you wrote you shaved the cat, I flashed to you using a straight razor on the cat's hind end, I am glad calmer heads prevailed. Haha.

Yep, I finally got some hearing aids about a year or so ago...and I wear them sometimes. The wife asks if I'm wearing them, to which I generally reply "What"? I don't suffer from tinnitus (thankfully) and we now have the tv set for quite a few of our streaming providers with subtitles so we don't have to have the volume set to 11.

c7ae0212-0996-4aaf-916e-eb6262e74894_text.gif

I realize it's counter-productive to actually have the aids and not use them which I attribute to a combo of stubbornness and forgetting I have them. Which also makes it hard to be "hear" in the moment...BADABOOM!
Gotta go, I hear the Missus talking...I think.

Years of riding motorcycles have given me tinnitus as well, I am used to it now.
I've had tinnitus since I was a teen after a deer hunting incident... dad was using a new rifle that had gas venting on the chamber and I was right in the wrong place when we scared up a couple muleys out of a draw. Had a partial perforation of the eardrum but it healed and I got pretty used to it. This current thing is new, though. More intrusive and I also get episodes where I'll lose hearing in one ear or the other followed by screaming loud tinnitus for 30 seconds to a few minutes.

That, and the vertigo.
flashed to you using a straight razor on the cat's hind end
I considered it. I probably could have done it if I skipped the scissors. But, wasn't sure how she would take it, so yeah, a SAFETY razor seemed like the safest bet. LOL.

Part of my issue is the same as yours without the tinnitus...known as "Harley Hearing". Shorty helmets etc. Last few years I started wearing 3/4 helmets which covered my ears and prevented further degradation...to a degree.
Just the roar of the wind across the ears can cause permanent hearing loss in 15 minutes for those with unprotected ears. I've always used full-face helmets, but even with a full-face helmet for enough miles, will cause some damage, regardless of the pipes. The aftermarket pipes that make the rumble we so love, don't help the situation at all.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I was in construction for about 1/3 of my working years... In addition, I was often around loud manufacturing plants during another phase.... not to mention lawn mowing and weed whacking for decades. I've always protected my ears... I have always used ear plugs, etc.... Always.

I still have ringing in both ears.. as does my wife. Our doctors told us... on several occasions... welcome to old age. It's a normal part of aging....

We can both hear fairly well, when we don't concentrate on the ringing in the ears.. if we think about it, our brains stop blocking it out and it's deafening. <eg>

I also had a windshield on my bikes which really helped with deflecting wind away from the head but also enabled me to ride longer...no windshield really tires you our quickly. I gotta start using the aids...I paid enough for them. Oh yeah one other benefit is when my phone rings it goes to my aids immediately no more having to hold the phone to my head and asking people to speak louder..Hah. And when I'm using my AirPods I can answer the phone by pressing the stem and then a double tap to end the call.

Top Bottom