What's new

The Scandal Sheet: Straights and other stuff

Another top notch shave today. The straight was a Heljestrand MK 3 that I rescaled in walnut. I've had mixed results with scales but these turned out really nice. I think I used some kind of gloss poly on them. They seem to be standing up to abuse pretty well. I finally rehoned this one yesterday, I had originally had it honed by someone else, and it was very good. Frankly it didn't need it but I like the feel of an edge that's fresh off the stones.

The Vielong horse continues to be meh+ but I guess that's good because it makes me appreciate my other brushes more. It's a tad scratchy when splayed, but just fine when using painting strokes. As long as you don't mind a healthy dose of floppiness. I don't, that's one of the things I like about this brush.

Soap was MdC Rose, splash was the Veg. DE was the RROT, shimmed, second run on the Feather. Still feels a little...dangerous... but I got very close in places I don't always, without a lot of drama. A little more tingle with the Veg but not an all-out sting.

Be well.
20240416_070620.jpg

Did something a little out of character today, used the same straight razor as yesterday. Although, I did do a light retouch of the edge on my little Escher. I've had inconsistent results with the Escher--all pretty good, but some better than others. This time I did a minimal amount of strokes on water only, no slurry, and it was ended up being beyond good, it was really great. I had intended to use a different razor today and just do half a pass or so with the Heljestrand to test it, but once I started, I put that other razor back in the drawer.

Soap was Stirling Beeswax, managed a very wet but not runny lather with the Vielong synth,

DE was a sort of experiment, started out with the plastic med prep DE that I got from my last doctors appointment. I managed to pop the tabs so I could load a new Treet 7 day into it. Looking at it, it has a pretty neutral exposure, thoroughly clamped at the top, but with a pretty big blade gap. Most of the razors I like have minimal blade gaps. But, I wanted to try this with a blade I am familiar with. Starting below the right jaw, it shaved very well. Smooth and efficient. Once I got to the center of the adams apple and over to the right side, it started to struggle (more stubble left there from the previous SR work). I think the fact that it's very light exacerbated that. But I found myself having to use more pressure in the direction of the cut in order to get through the whiskers, which, again because the razor is so light, became hard to control and translated to more pressure towards the skin. Rather than push on, which I could have, and probably been fine, I grabbed the RROT to finish up that stretch, and it didn't struggle at all, even though the blade has dropped off enough that it was about the same level of sharpness. Now, that razor is light, too, but not that light. Anyway, no blood, no irritation, very, very close in the end, and maybe I've learned/confirmed something about my razor preferences. I do think this little med prep is a surprisingly decent design, though.

****Warning, BOSC-like typing ahead****

Conversations in another journal have me thinking about my own definitions of mild, efficient, and aggressive. I guess my take might be different, as I'm only applying them directly to an ATG only pass, but I see them as interrelated, but mostly in relationship to one other factor at a time. Let me try to explain.

Mildness means, to me, can I do as many strokes as I want without creating drama. A truly mild razor is one that I can run across already BBS skin without discomfort or the possibility of irritation.

Efficiency means, to me, how many strokes does it take to get to that BBS. Generally as efficiency goes up, mildness goes down. But, there's another factor, and that's closeness-- as in, how close can the razor get under ideal circumstances. For instance, the FOCS is capable of getting slightly closer than the regular Fatip OC on my face. But in terms of efficiency, I think they both get to their respective levels of ultimate closeness with about the same amount of work.

Aggression is a weird one. For me, aggressive means, if I don't handle it correctly, I may see blood or irritation. Note that it's not directly related to efficiency, though...for instance I don't find the Mentor to be particularly efficient but it is definitely more aggressive. Also more blade dependent.

So, to sum up my paltry den, I'd sat the Fatip OC and the RROT with a shim are at a good sweet spot of mildness and efficiency. I can run them over my skin until my arm gets tired without a lot of potential drama. Both are capable of shaving quite close, but the RROT is slightly ahead in that respect. I would say the FOCS matches the closeness of the shimmed RROT but maybe slightly less efficiently, and at the same time, slightly more aggressive, especially if I mess up angle/pressure/etc.

The RROT *without* a shim is about on par with the Gillette Old Type I have in terms of results, although the OGOT is a more comfortable design. Both are capable of about the same level of closeness as the Fatip OC but slightly less efficiently, and more blade dependent.

The Mentor is it's own beast, and the only satisfactory shave I've had with it was with a new Feather loaded. But that, at least, was very close and mostly not dangerous feeling. Every other blade I've used in it, it was borderline unusable. The plastic med prep, reminds me more of the Mentor than any of the others, but seems a lot safer at the same time. Haven't used enough blades in it to really get a read on it beyond that.

Alright, thanks for reading. Be well.
20240417_071751.jpg

Ahhh. That explains it. Thanks.

Does one need to be invited into said fraternity?

Or, is it a bit like being an alcoholic...once you get deeply into it, it's hard to give it up and you spend all your money on it...lying about what you purchased...coming out with lines like "I just need one more drink razor..."...hiding your booze shaving gear so your family can't see what an addict you've become...

I have a feeling I know the answer and I may need a twelve step blade program.

Last edited:

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Ahhh. That explains it. Thanks.

Does one need to be invited into said fraternity?

Or, is it a bit like being an alcoholic...once you get deeply into it, it's hard to give it up and you spend all your money on it...lying about what you purchased...coming out with lines like "I just need one more drink razor..."...hiding your booze shaving gear so your family can't see what an addict you've become...

I have a feeling I know the answer and I may need a twelve step blade program.
There’s a quasi entry system in place, but if you’ve ever “shaved for science,” you’re already one of us.

There’s a quasi entry system in place, but if you’ve ever “shaved for science,” you’re already one of us.
Lol. By shaving for science, would that include using a micrometer to try and figure out a razor's blade exposure with a given blade? Would it include spending weeks testing different blades to determine which one might be optimal for a specific razor? Would it include experimenting with different processes to determine which is best for removing the funky smell of badger from a brush?

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Lol. By shaving for science, would that include using a micrometer to try and figure out a razor's blade exposure with a given blade? Would it include spending weeks testing different blades to determine which one might be optimal for a specific razor? Would it include experimenting with different processes to determine which is best for removing the funky smell of badger from a brush?
Welcome to BOSC. You’ll fit in perfectly. We also have cookies.

Not a lot of time for a full write-up today, I need to cover at another office for a few hours. So, the facts: C-Mon branded Filarmonica 14, Stirling Beeswax, Vielong synth. Razorock OT, fresh Bic, shim. Excellent shave, the Bic has that usual first-shave smooth-but-not-laserbeam sharp feel, but was very effective. The straight didn't leave much for it to clean up, though.

Finished with Myrsol Limon.

Be well.
20240418_071934.jpg

Top Bottom