What's new

The Scandal Sheet: Straights and other stuff

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Great hangover cure. 😋
I'm not a heavy drinker.... but I've been buzzed quite a few times... I've never had a hangover... I guess I stop drinking too soon. <eg>

When I was a teetotaler, I was at a large training session... One of the guys from the UK told me.... the problem with you non-drinkers... When you get up in the morning, that's the best you're gonna feel all day.

Good shave today. I chose my little F.W. Söderén for (faux) Frameback Friday. It delivered a very close shave although this one *feels* sharp which usually means I could do a little better on the stones. But, it's hard to say, it definitely cut efficiently without being harsh.

I lathered up Stirling Beeswax with the Simpson's E-3. Ended up going back to the tub for more about halfway through, this brush doesn't always pick up soap as effectively as some but I still really like it.

A fresh Nacet in the FOCS made short work of the below-the-jaw cleanup. I finished with Saponfonicio Bignoli Agrumi di Mediterraneo. Despite being very citric, this splash doesn't pair as well with MdC Agrumes so I'll continue to use it with my unscented soap. I really like this splash for spring. Very orange forward and feels a little lighter than Myrsol.

Listened to some music for the first time in a while. I'm not the biggest fan of Wagner but I thought the "Good Friday Music" from Parsifal was appropriate today. Then I dialed up the "Magic Fire Music" from Die Walküre. It occurs to me that there are some common narrative elements between these two excerpts and I think there may be some musical commonalities too. Rossini famously said of Wagner that he had some lovely moments but awful quarter hours. I can't disagree, but these two excerpts must certainly be some of the loveliest moments that Wagner wrote.

The music app decided I should listen to Ave Verum Corpus by Mozart after that. And, like Wagner, Mozart isn't my favorite either, but this little motet may be my absolute favorite of his works. So, it was a great way to start the day.
20240329_072649.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
First time hearing that Mozart piece, Matt. That ensemble was right to put “Fire” in there name.

My singing teacher made a point about Wagner’s compositions that I buy into:

When Wagner is exciting, it’s very exciting. When Wagner is boring, it’s very boring.

I guess I have a few days to catch up on. @silverlifter had a wonderful idea for a straight razor SOTD theme week 🌸🌸🌸 🇯🇵🇯🇵🇯🇵 Japanese Steel Week: April 1-7, 2024 🇯🇵🇯🇵🇯🇵 🌸🌸🌸 - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/japanese-steel-week-april-1-7-2024.651155/ and a couple of us couldn't wait until today to start.

Saturday was the Falcon, not the prettiest razor in my den, but pretty doesn't shave, does it? And this one shaves with my best. Sunday was the Osuga Sain, still wearing the edge it came with. Not all straights were sold as shave ready, historically or even today (despite what the manufacturer might claim) so I don't expect it, but this one was. Really, the perfect intersection of gentle and sharp. One of my favorites. Today was the Kyoei, certainly can't fault it in any way either.

DE, if I recall...Saturday may have been the FOCS with a Nacet. Yesterday was definitely the Fatip Retro with a new Feather. Used it this morning as well. It seemed just ok yesterday but today was brilliantly efficient and smooth. Win/win.

Saturday I took the almost-teenager to the bookstore, a special outing just for her. She's a voracious reader, much as I was at that age. She had a couple books in mind that she's been itching to get. I decided to buy the rest of the books in the Dune series, (not all, just the ones Frank Herbert wrote) as I'd only read the first one, a couple times. Mrs. Scandalous has read them, I think, but she decided to join me in that. I finished Dune Messiah on Saturday. It is the shortest of the bunch, I think. Almost got through Children of Dune last night but I decided to go to bed at a sensible hour rather than plow through the last 70 pages or so.
20240330_093519.jpg
20240331_091846.jpg
20240401_072449.jpg

Japanese steel week continues apace. Up today was the Shell 71 from Perfect Works. It delivered a very close, very smooth shave. Stirling Beeswax was the soap. I'm always surprised at just how good this soap is, and I shouldn't be, by now, since I can see quite a bit of the bottom of the tub.

I managed to get a great third run on the Feather in the Retro today. Felt as good or better than the first two shaves. These blades usually get harsh quickly on my face so that was a pleasant surprise. Though, the Shell didn't leave much to clean up. A healthy handful of the Veg finished things off right.

Be well, everyone.
20240402_082130.jpg

Many have said it @huck1680 , but I think it was Frank Sinatra that made it famous though. Regardless, it's one of the harsh indignities of sobriety.

Good (great?) shave again today. Reflecting on yesterday's shave a little more, it was very close. The level of growth I felt this morning was similar to what I'd feel on a Monday, having shaved a few hours later than normal the day before.

Today was the Sankan 1200, the razor that *really* opened my eyes to the possibilities of Hitachi Yasuki steel. It's a lovely thing, scales look like a Jolly Rancher almost, and boy does it shave well. I chose the Stirling Beeswax again today to confirm a suspicion--well, two-- one, that I get perhaps a closer shave with it, and two, that I might owe the current Feather's surprising longevity to the soap as much as anything else.

I know there are some that scoff at the idea that one soap might deliver a closer shave than another-- and perhaps that's not unreasonable-- but it seems to be true, at least marginally. And if you think about it, the difference between a close shave and a REALLY close shave is marginal. At best.

Anyway, the Feather performed flawlessly, again, for it's fourth outing. It may just be a special blade. I once had a disposable go for nearly a month at a time that I could usually only get 5 days out of one. So, stranger things have happened. More testing is in order.

Splash was the Veg, and it barely tingled. So, a grail shave-- close AND smooth.

Be well.
20240403_071609.jpg

Many have said it @huck1680 , but I think it was Frank Sinatra that made it famous though. Regardless, it's one of the harsh indignities of sobriety.

Good (great?) shave again today. Reflecting on yesterday's shave a little more, it was very close. The level of growth I felt this morning was similar to what I'd feel on a Monday, having shaved a few hours later than normal the day before.

Today was the Sankan 1200, the razor that *really* opened my eyes to the possibilities of Hitachi Yasuki steel. It's a lovely thing, scales look like a Jolly Rancher almost, and boy does it shave well. I chose the Stirling Beeswax again today to confirm a suspicion--well, two-- one, that I get perhaps a closer shave with it, and two, that I might owe the current Feather's surprising longevity to the soap as much as anything else.

I know there are some that scoff at the idea that one soap might deliver a closer shave than another-- and perhaps that's not unreasonable-- but it seems to be true, at least marginally. And if you think about it, the difference between a close shave and a REALLY close shave is marginal. At best.

Anyway, the Feather performed flawlessly, again, for it's fourth outing. It may just be a special blade. I once had a disposable go for nearly a month at a time that I could usually only get 5 days out of one. So, stranger things have happened. More testing is in order.

Splash was the Veg, and it barely tingled. So, a grail shave-- close AND smooth.

Be well.View attachment 1822981
That's a nice looking brush.

Bob Quinn makes some great handles, both the shapes and the materials. Though he's seemed to have slowed down a bit. I'm a sucker for stone, even fake stone, and lapis is my favorite I think.

I've always preferred longer handles in general, even if I'm face lathering (which isn't often). And I like to rest my brush on the rim of my bowl regardless so a short handle needs to have a lip.

Today's shave was probably one of my best and I judge that by the fact that after I rinsed the residual soap off my face, I could have easily skipped the aftershave. I didn't, because I'm a creature of habits. But I could have.

The tools were excellent, which helps. Kikuboshi 2002, Oumo brush, Fatip Retro with Feather (5). I had to double check, but yes, it was day 5 for this blade. Soap was Stirling Beeswax again.

The difference, maybe, was prep. I usually do a face wash in the shower, then Proraso preshave while I'm getting everything lined up. Sometimes I use Stirling's preshave bar instead. That's what I've been using this week. Today, on a whim, I decided to use Proraso preshave after I'd rinsed the Stirling off. Honestly I don't know if it was what made the difference (first pass felt about the same as always) but everything came off easier today. The DE cleanup, especially, was exceptionally efficient and smooth.

Finished with Myrsol Limón and a spritz of Stirling Sandpiper EDT. I really like this fragrance (better than the original, even!) but I can't wear it all the time. It's been months since I've worn it, I'm sure.

Be well.
20240404_072952.jpg

More thoughts on yesterday's shave. Despite leaving the bathroom feeling exquisitely shaved and smooth, I noted some extra growth, primarily on the left side of my throat, that tells me perhaps that Feather *is* falling off a bit. I didn't bin it though, not yet. I think it will have at least one more excellent shave left.

Today, though, I decided to see if I could recapture lightning in a bottle again but with the FOCS instead. My Hoshi Tombo (literally, "Star Dragonfly") was up for Frameback Friday again and it was flawless as usual. I repeated the extra prep from yesterday-- shower, then Stirling preshave bar, then Proraso. Soap was Beeswax again, lathered with the Proraso Pro boar.

Frankly, the shave was great, and yet... especially the DE pass did not seem effortless, even with a relatively fresh Nacet in the FOCS. So... maybe yesterday was just magic? Sometimes it's wise not to peer too closely at the inner workings of things.

Overall, a great shave, though. Finished with Bignoli Agrumi di Mediterraneo. I suspect in a few hours that I'll note that today's shave was closer...but yesterdays, I think, was more satisfying.

Be well, all.
20240405_064329.jpg

Top Bottom