What's new

the Rocnel Sailor thread

It seems every time a luxury (highest end of any hobby) item is lusted after, the conversation turns contentious at some point. It’s the law of human nature. I would never pay $100 for a mechanical pencil, that is just crazy and those straight edge guys are lunatics lol. I’m writing this with my Mont Blanc pen while wearing my Rolex though. I’m happy with my $10 vintage Gillette although I do have about $3,000 in razor blades😇. I jest it might only be $2,200. Happy Saturday!
I didn't get a word of that, I can't stop drooling over the toast in your avatar.

I don’t know, I think there’s a lot of guff said about brush makers who don’t satisfy demand. As far as I can see these are spare-time hobbyists who make a few brushes after work or on weekends, and their price levels are dictated by the quality of their product relative to the prices charged by comparable brush makers. If they sell out fast it is because a more customers want them, but the brush maker can only make so many.

I don’t think there is some sinister business strategy at play. Why would you intentionally lose sales if your prices and product are competitive and there is a lot of unsatisfied demand? A lot of good small business owners just aren’t interested in expanding, for perfectly sound reasons.
How about De Beers? A classic example of limiting supply to increase demand and price. They have tons of diamonds stashed away. It's not a bad strategy, it's the only one.

How about De Beers? A classic example of limiting supply to increase demand and price. They have tons of diamonds stashed away. It's not a bad strategy, it's the only one.
Yeah, different story if you have a global monopoly. I understand they are sitting on centuries worth of diamond stock which, if sold, would make diamonds cheaper than popcorn. Apparently there is far, far less gold in the world, by weight, than diamonds. Gold is rare, diamonds aren’t.

So I've been browsing e-bay and found a couple of outrageous listings.

Both razors are considered rare, and don't go on sale very often.

One is a first generation Paradigm Titanium, machine finished , only about 50 made, selling for 1800 USD. The other is the LASC BBS-1 (pre wolfman days) not sure how many were made, but this one lists for 1505 USD.

Heck, if I were to list my 2020, I should slot in the price right between the two, say 1650, lol.

One is a first generation Paradigm Titanium, machine finished , only about 50 made, selling for 1800 USD. The other is the LASC BBS-1 (pre wolfman days) not sure how many were made, but this one lists for 1505 USD.

Heck, if I were to list my 2020, I should slot in the price right between the two, say 1650, lol.

Your 2020 Sailor is a very special creation. The re-sale market may not have grasped this yet but I think the 2020 was created to be the Rolls Royce of razors. Grand, imposing, sumptuously polished and gilded. And its $750 price tag was much more unusual in 2020 than it is now - there cannot be many of them. I don’t know if we will see its like again because many said it was just too heavy - but if there was ever a future collectable razor I think this is it. Don’t ever sell it.

As I was looking through Murat’s YouTube channel earlier I saw this one showing the 2020 in natural light, and it reminded me how great that model was. I really wish I had one.

Yeah, different story if you have a global monopoly. I understand they are sitting on centuries worth of diamond stock which, if sold, would make diamonds cheaper than popcorn. Apparently there is far, far less gold in the world, by weight, than diamonds. Gold is rare, diamonds aren’t.
Tell that to my wife.

Lab created diamonds 💎 look great without all the blood diamond baggage. South Africa still offers the best real diamonds in my opinion at great prices. The background of these stones is still open to discussion…the dealers don’t discuss their sources except to say no slave labor was used to mine the stones and they‘re harvested from a state sanctioned site.

I was never fan of those sugarcoating practices and mind games of how some folks try to use clever words and tactics to make you believe that something is incredible rare like using the word ''unobtainium'' (gosh, I hate that word) and that it's no longer made or currently out of stock and make up ridiculous excuses how to squeeze you as much as they can.

Just put a price on the darn razor or whatever you're selling and let me make up my own mind and research about it and decide whatever I'm going to buy it or not.

I've lost the count of how many times I was told that a certain thing is impossible to find below this or that price and so on and for some ''unknown'' reason I pretty much always find a way to find things much cheaper IF I put my mind on it and really want something regardless of what it is.

Learn to think for yourself (and how to spot those red flags) instead of letting others bamboozel you with half-truths and take your money in the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently there is far, far less gold in the world, by weight, than diamonds. Gold is rare, diamonds aren’t.
While we are off topic (sorry OP) did you know that current research and observation points to the theory that gold is created when neutron stars collide (rapid neutron capture ie. the r-process). Also they believe that black holes play a part on occasion too. Only 1% of supernovae explosions create gold they say so that theory has fallen by the wayside lately.

Experts surmise that all the gold on the planet was brought here by asteroids and sunk to the core when the planet formed. Gold was brought near the surface by more asteroid collisions. If not for literally Earth shattering impacts which killed the dinosaurs and gave rise to mammal superiority, we would have no gold to covet. And we would be running from T-Rex. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
4-19-22.Sailor.CK-6.Semogue.2Band.640.JPG

2021 RSMC.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've made an offer on the Paradigm. I know what he is asking for is stratospherically nonsensical, so I've offered him 500. The original value is about 400. I'm not willing to pay more than that and sticking to my guns on this one.

Having said that, there were already 5 other offers before me, so chances are there may be no chance for me at all, lol.

Just thought I'd give it a shot and maybe fluke out.

And I thought that the guy who paid around 2000 British pounds for the Anglo-American Aristocrat was crazy :D.
Don't laugh I was hot for that one too but didn't want to go that high. :)

There is always someone willing to buy a rare item. I listed one of the 50 Janus New Toggles for Eric and it sold for $1,500 unless my memory fails me, retail was $500(?).

The Rocnel line is popular and I suspect the earliest will appreciate and some other year models will retain value. I'm just glad I got a 2020 while I could.

Don't laugh I was hot for that one too but didn't want to go that high. :)

There is always someone willing to buy a rare item. I listed one of the 50 Janus New Toggles for Eric and it sold for $1,500 unless my memory fails me, retail was $500(?).

The Rocnel line is popular and I suspect the earliest will appreciate and some other year models will retain value. I'm just glad I got a 2020 while I could.

I find it funny and crazy, but yeah, you have a point too. If someone is willing to spend that much money on this or any other razor, he most definitely doesn't need my or anyone else's permission to buy it.

I'm sure that for some folks $2000 is like pocket change and getting what they want isn't an issue.

Maybe one day I will grab one of those razors while it's still in production and the price are still in the acceptable perimeters, but paying $1000 + for a razor is a serious commitment.

Top Bottom