What's new

The Power of Process

Woke up this morning and for the first time I just didn’t feel like shaving. I’m laying there in bed at 4am thinking I could get another 20 minutes of sleep. As I laid there thinking about the 20 minutes it occurred to me 20 minutes is just not as much as you think. Also, if I make the precedent of skipping a shave today it would lead to skipping the next day. This could also lead to a lax atmosphere with coworkers I’m leading. A slippery slop if you think about it. The whole, “make your bed every morning” mindset to success.

So, reluctantly I got up, grabbed my gear, and trudged off to the latrine. Due to the power of process I turned what could have been a mediocre morning into a great morning. I was able to get a great shower, a great shave, and a great start to my day.

So, here’s my question to the rest of you. Have you ever had somewhat of the same experience where the power of process brought you through to the other side. A task that you weren’t looking forward to, but you got it done anyway and felt great about it? I’m curious if I am not the only one.

I deal with this decision at least once or more per day, non shaving related. Often, it goes along with the thought that “if I don’t do it, it’s not going to get done, because no one else is going to do it”.

In terms of shaving, I shave every morning. I purposefully wake up early, setting my alarm to account for my prep and shave time; wouldn’t miss it if there’s any chance not to.

Sometimes I give in to the urge to let things slide, but usually not. It's actually quite nice not to feel you're always a slave to routine, and if I give something a miss one day I generally put more care and effort into it the next.

I deal with this decision at least once or more per day, non shaving related. Often, it goes along with the thought that “if I don’t do it, it’s not going to get done, because no one else is going to do it”.
I know the feeling.

Sometimes I give in to the urge to let things slide, but usually not. It's actually quite nice not to feel you're always a slave to routine, and if I give something a miss one day I generally put more care and effort into it the next.
I make the routine my slave, never a slave to the routine. Bend it to my will. Use it to my advantage. The point of my post was the routine/ process was used to get me out of a funk, not put me there.

I'm glad to see you have the ability to give in, but come back with more vigor. Not a bad trait.

Sometimes, my morning shave is the highlight of the day. Even on a bad day, I've done one thing well and I did it just for me.

No sliding! The bed gets made, the face shaved, groceries shopped for, the mail collected, email read. And some days I fit a nap into my busy retirement schedule, too.

Woke up this morning and for the first time I just didn’t feel like shaving. I’m laying there in bed at 4am thinking I could get another 20 minutes of sleep. As I laid there thinking about the 20 minutes it occurred to me 20 minutes is just not as much as you think. Also, if I make the precedent of skipping a shave today it would lead to skipping the next day. This could also lead to a lax atmosphere with coworkers I’m leading. A slippery slop if you think about it. The whole, “make your bed every morning” mindset to success.

So, reluctantly I got up, grabbed my gear, and trudged off to the latrine. Due to the power of process I turned what could have been a mediocre morning into a great morning. I was able to get a great shower, a great shave, and a great start to my day.

So, here’s my question to the rest of you. Have you ever had somewhat of the same experience where the power of process brought you through to the other side. A task that you weren’t looking forward to, but you got it done anyway and felt great about it? I’m curious if I am not the only one.

100%. Working out is like this for me. There are weeks i look forward to it, and others where i have to literally talk myself into doing it. I never regret doing it though. The weeks that i take off either on vacation or when i’m sick make it hard to get back into the routine and i could easily see how weeks could become months could become giving it up alltogether. Thankfully i’ve stuck with it for over a decade and don’t ever see myself not exercising. But there are days i really have to will myself to do it.

I went through a period like that. It was called "Basic Training".

I went through a period like that. It was called "Basic Training".
Did the Basic thing back in the 90s. Very interesting time. The first two weeks sucked, but after that I'd be lying if I said my country butt didn't have fun.

@Macduff
Between hours at work and other obligations I haven't hit the weights in years.

I know the feeling.

I make the routine my slave, never a slave to the routine. Bend it to my will. Use it to my advantage. The point of my post was the routine/ process was used to get me out of a funk, not put me there.

I'm glad to see you have the ability to give in, but come back with more vigor. Not a bad trait.

yep, that can make all the difference. it has to get done, but my attitude towards it is my choice. sometimes that first task turns to a better attitude and makes the rest of the day/tasks easier/more tolerable/pleasant.

I haven't shaved in a week. I've been working from home and it's just darn nice to have the extra sleep and the beginnings of a beard :).

Woke up this morning and for the first time I just didn’t feel like shaving.
This came to mind:
proxy.php

(Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee)

I’m laying there in bed at 4am thinking I could get another 20 minutes of sleep. As I laid there thinking about the 20 minutes it occurred to me 20 minutes is just not as much as you think. Also, if I make the precedent of skipping a shave today it would lead to skipping the next day.
I'm retired and shave in the evening, so not a problem.
proxy.php

Yes.
When I take my turn doing the dishes, I can't stop until it's all done, including wiping down the stove top, stuff that splattered onto the wall next to the stove, cleaning out the drip catcher on the coffee maker, crumbs out from under the toaster, inside of the microwave oven, etc.

I've worn facial hair most of my adult life and shaved always in the shower. So, shaving was the same as washing my hair and body.

Since coming here, I've learned how to shave well. I now use a brush and make lather. I use quality blades and have learned to map my face. Shaving does not take long if I am in a hurry, but it can take longer if I decide.

On the weekends I usually shave later in the day. I enjoy using the old tools. I feel blessed to have found them and learn their history. So many friends here have helped.

Been retired for 5 years. Am now having time for “my hobbies”, which includes wet shaving. It has many facets that I’m discovering more each day. It will never become a chore or boring. You can devote as much time and effort as you want. Enjoy it while you can!!

Top Bottom