What's new

The path to my very own custom bamboo shaving brush (super-mega-pic-heavy).

Alright guys, this is a small update/teaser. I took these pictures with my phone so they aren't the best. But I basically set the bottom into the chubby style handle today (really my first time in a long time working with epoxy so it was more of a test of that then anything else lol. All I need to do is decide between a cork and more epoxy or using silicone to fill up to where I want my brush loft to be set. I also need to still sand and then polish the epoxy on the bottom of the brush (just a little uneven). Not even really sure if I can so I have some other epoxy to make sure I can get back to the clear finish on it ;) .

My other option for my next brushes btw is acrylic "tube." I found nice solid cylinders of acrylic while I was at ACE so I might use that next for a cool look :) .

So without further ado;

So there you have it, that knot isn't set yet, I just stuffed it in the opening. It is a TGN, Grade A, Silver Tip. Not sure what to set the loft to, it is 26mm at the base. The other one will be getting a 26mm, extra hair, two-band, finest.

that looks fantastic!

-jim

Why thank you. I am hoping to get the other brush all set up as well this week. I did what Blade Boy suggested and grabbed some extra copper pipe (not of the end cap variety) to add some weight, it also makes the cork fit pretty perfectly. The one draw back to using the epoxy on the bottom was the air bubbles unfortunately, but I am sure I can work that out before next time :) .

very cool.if you end up with a brush with an end cap you could always fill the closed end with caulk .if that is not heavy enough you could embed some stainless washers in the caulk.

That copper end cap idea was stellar! Not another brush on the planet like it!

Yeah, Blade Boy suggested it in my other thread :) . And there is at least one brush like it, and that is dayoldstubble's brush (he has a post on here about his bamboo brush and he is the one who inspired me and then told me how to do it ;) ). And there will be at least one more brush like it because I am making one for someone else :) .

First brush complete. Knot is setting right now. Gonna shave with it tomorrow. I will also provide pictures tomorrow as I would prefer to use natural light. Grade A, 26mm Silver Tip from TGN feels great, set at about 50mm loft. Makes the brush about 100mm in overall size. I am super excited for tomorrow morning's shave. My camera battery is charged and ready so I will be able to show you pre and post bloom pictures.

Alrighty then. Ready to see it finished I guess eh? This brush is AMAZING. TGN does a SUPER job with their knots. I have a TGN, Grade A, 26mm silvertip in this particular brush. I set the loft at 50mm by putting a wine cork in the center and cutting it to size. I epoxied it in and then let that set for about an hour (I know it is like 12 hours or over night for fully finished). Then I glued the knot in and BAM;

And then because I am not much of a golfer (certainly not compared to Mr. Rudy Vey);

And then what the heck, perhaps my first shave with it and what I broke it in with;

Bloom pictures incoming when the lights come on in the morning :) .

Nice shot of the ingredients for a perfect shave. I like those dimensions - 50mm each for handle and loft - seems to work very well. Enjoy that brush. Gonna have to remember the copper end cap for a handle which has lost its baseplate.

Nice shot of the ingredients for a perfect shave. I like those dimensions - 50mm each for handle and loft - seems to work very well. Enjoy that brush. Gonna have to remember the copper end cap for a handle which has lost its baseplate.

Yeah, if you use the copper, all you have to do is bust out a dremel and the little polishing wheel (white and furry) and some of the dremel jeweler's rouge. A quick little buff before putting the epoxy on really made it shine for me. The one nice thing would have been finding an end cap without the brand name on it ;) . You can't see it in the pics, but there are three little letters on the bottom of the copper :( .

Stunning Panda, absolutely stunning. Now I have to get busy so I can reknot my TGN 30mm with a cracked handle.
You've inspired me and the copper plug is sheer genius.

I love it! Very nice work, that copper end cap on it really finishes it nicely. Neat idea.
A question- Was the decision to sand it all the way down just for looks or was it to stabilize the material and make it less prone to splintering off, etc? Does that make sense?
I love the brush, I really like the look of the bamboo in the first set of pics after you sanded the green off and it looked somewhat finished but still had the joints showing.

Just wondering if you think it would be a problem to make one and leave the handle at that stage of finishing. And if you are taking orders:)

Top Bottom