What's new

The Parker 61.

Legion

Staff member
We all know about its famous cousin, the Parker 51. One of the greatest fountain pens ever made, selling in the millions, and going down in history as a design classic. Many of us own one of them, or two... or a hundred (you know who you are.)

But what about the less know 61? Arriving in the 50's, and "cursed" with a revolutionary capillary filling system that many found finicky, it never really found the market traction that the 51 enjoyed. It probably didn't help that it sold for about $20, which could buy you a small car, a steak dinner, and eight cartons of smokes back in '56.

I have a couple of them in my collection, but I never gave them much time, because I have traditionally been so fickle about inks, changing them whenever the mood hit me. Flushing a 61 is a bit more of a chore than a lot of other pens, but it can be done with a squirty bulb and some patience. I've settled down on that now, and have two go to inks which I use almost exclusively now (Noodlers BSIAR and Forest green) so I thought it is time to give the 61 its day in court.

I've put away all the 51's now, filled the 61 with Black Swan (it took a bit to get it started after so long unused, but it seems to be writing like a champ now), and I plan on using this as my regular desk pen for the foreseeable future, just to give it a proper testing.

How about you guys? Any 61 fans with one in the rotation?

http://parkerpens.net/parker61.html

Legion

Staff member
The capillary filler was too much hassle for me, but they were very innovative indeed!

Yeah, that is what I always thought as well. But now I figure they are only a hassle if you want to change inks. If I am happy to dedicate that pen to that one ink (which I am at the moment) it is actually a very neat design. Writes really well too.

I always thought they were cool looking, haven't found a good enough deal on one to pull the trigger yet though

How about 3 in rotation now.... not a "51" to be seen :blink:

Apologize to Pic quality.... I can't take one to save my life.

Signet set FP loaded with vintage quink, matching ballpoint for non FP users who need a pen
Jet flighter with vintage Carters
Red with Rainbow cap... vintage Watermans.

I find the newer inks tend to clog the capillary a bit and make for a hard starter and dry writer

$HPIM1358.jpg

Never used a 61 (yet). However, my father has the Waterman X-Pen, which was Waterman's answer to the 61. Very cool filling mechanism and it writes like a dream.

It probably didn't help that it sold for about $20, which could buy you a small car, a steak dinner, and eight cartons of smokes back in '56.

That line made me laugh out loud, nice one David! My mom always teases me about gas prices: "Back when i started out driving, I could get a full tank and a carton of smokes and still have change leftover from $20!"

Top Bottom