What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

~'35-'39 Eclipse Red Ring
IMG_20230117_112704190.jpg

IMG_20230117_112749546.jpg

IMG_20230117_112812718.jpg

IMG_20230117_213148452.jpg

Interesting handle. Looks to be an inspiration source for the handles for Stirling Soap Company. I see some similarities at least. Nice catch by the way.

Guido

It's an interesting handle. It grips really well and it's positioning is perfect for riding the cap which I did a lot more with this razor then I normally do.

Just reposting here my first experience with this amazing razor.

Cream: Cremo original
Razor/Blade:
Head/Neck - High Proof w/ Astra SP
Face/Neck - Segal Unitary OC w/ Astra SP
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - Aqua Velva
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive
IMG_20230128_211714952.jpg

9/10 shave
10/10 wow experience

Ok, this was a crazy fun shave experience. I just got in a Segal unitary open comb and modified an Astra SP to fit. It really wasn't hard to do and got it first try before I even got the razor and original blade. I printed out the template of it and just went free hand. I read it doesn't have to be exact just a bigger opening to get around the middle hump and don't touch the ends. And I used a cuticle scissors with the curved end. Cut through really easy.
IMG_20230128_210911264.jpg

I don't think this razor was ever used. It's in perfect condition. The box is in great condition and the tuck has all the blades in it. It's really a shame that whoever all owned this razor never got to experience it. This would not be my top choice of a razor to use BUT I think it's a razor everyone should experience at least once.

It's heftier then I thought it would be. I thought the TTO would be more delicate but this is really well made. The handle seems to me to be perfectly designed for the type of shave technique that at least I used. Which was to ride the cap more then I've ever ridden the cap of any other razor.

Seemed to me like more blade feel then anything else I have. No idea what the gap was like as I negated that with the angle. Super efficient shave. One pass and holy crap was I smooth almost every where. Touch up second pass.

Just wow, I don't like aggressive razors but the design of this one is on point. For the first time going at this with this razor and with a hack job on the blade I got a single little weeper on the neck and no irritation. I have to experience this one again. This will definitely be in my rotation.
IMG_20230128_210359907.jpg

Here's mine.

IMG_20221028_170840.jpg

Personna branded Star razor. Zamak head on an aluminium handle, made in England.

I find the stock handle a little too light, but with a heavier handle it's a delightful shaver.

The Zamak part is a shame. But seems to be holding up. The plus side is It was not expensive to get one in good shape even in original box and blades. If this does quickly deteriorate after use now at least I got to experience one. That was worth the price of admission.

Nice shave today. It's very mild. The handle feels really nice and balanced.
IMG_20230130_211819447.jpg

Since I own or had the pleasure of using most of the vintage Gillette razors, my interest in them has dramatically declined and my attention has turned into other non Gillette razors. Over the last year, I've managed to acquire a couple of interesting razors such as the Gibbs #15 adjustable, Eclipse Red Ring, Swing, Segal Adjustable and Dorko Double Slant.

I know of a couple of razors such as the Personna Precisionist, any of the Darwin models, Kirby, Lecoq, Matador, Olaf Rasmussen, but most of them are quite pricy and not very easy to find.

So, what am I missing, what can you recommend?

This is a good place to start

I'm on the lookout for a nice Barbasol floating head. Supposed to be on the more aggressive side so you may like that one.

This is a good place to start

I'm on the lookout for a nice Barbasol floating head. Supposed to be on the more aggressive side so you may like that one.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Barbasol FH. I was looking for it for a while, but I was unable to find one for less than $150.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The French Leresche razors are affordable and top quality with lovely cases. I also have some Rotbart which I also recommend and again they are affordable, at least currently.

Here is my small Rotbart group and my Leresche #34. I also owned the Leresche #51 shown below which is highly rated by many but the shave did not please me so I sold it.

rot.jpg

ler.jpg

ler2.jpg

The French Leresche razors are affordable and top quality with lovely cases. I also have some Rotbart which I also recommend and again they are affordable, at least currently.

Here is my small Rotbart group and my Leresche #34. I also owned the Leresche #51 shown below which is highly rated by many but the shave did not please me so I sold it.

View attachment 1610548
View attachment 1610549
View attachment 1610550

Lovely collection!! Thanks for sharing!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Top Bottom