What's new

The new/current Connaught Omega jade brush: good/bad?

Eben Stone

Staff member
I read through many posts here about the Connaught Omega jade brush. No doubt, a very highly praised, highly recommended brush.

Apparently there are two versions. The old/original version that has the medailion/emblem, and the new/current one doesn't have it.

I found a few scattered posts, going back as far as May 2022, mentioning that this new/current version isn't quite as dense as the old/original one.

Is there any news about this new/current brush? is it still highly recommended? Its not expensive, so I don't mind taking a risk, but I want to make an informed decision.

Thanks.

You know with this community, every time something is changed, it is seen as inferior to the previous "golden age" version. People get upset over the most insignificant things.

The medallion was cosmetic. Since this is a special order brush from Connaught in the UK, they decided the brush would be better without the medallion (that's a decision I can agree with). Leaving the medallion off did not coincide with any change to the knot, AFAIK.

Omega knots are standard. What is different is just the handle and the loft. Recently, there were some claims the knot was changed, not as dense, etc. I have one without the medallion, from a couple of years ago, before people started with the claims. It's an excellent brush, one of my favorites.

I believe the owner of Connaught commented on this very issue in one of the gripe threads and said something to the effect of the knots are standard Omega issue but every batch can be a little different. I ordered one a little over a week ago so it should show up in the next week or so. I'm sure it'll be fine; I just wanted the jade handle. It cost me all of $20.50 shipped from England to the US. I did like the looks of the emblem and am sorry that was dropped from the design.

I believe the owner of Connaught commented on this very issue in one of the gripe threads and said something to the effect of the knots are standard Omega issue but every batch can be a little different. I ordered one a little over a week ago so it should show up in the next week or so. I'm sure it'll be fine; I just wanted the jade handle. It cost me all of $20.50 shipped from England to the US. I did like the looks of the emblem and am sorry that was dropped from the design.
That's a really good price. I guess it's the currency exchange rate. Maybe I'll have to order some things from Connaught! It's tempting.

:biggrin:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I bought mine back in June, I think. It's my first one so I have nothing with which to compare it. I will say, my Zenith B33 has a more dense knot and I quite like the copper 506 handle.

You know with this community, every time something is changed, it is seen as inferior to the previous "golden age" version. People get upset over the most insignificant things.

Exactly! I am sorry for the OP, the first batch of pigs was much better than the current one (just being ironic) :lol:

Same goes for the B&B special editions. Somehow Omega was caressing the pigs differently so our members could get a better knot lol

That's a really good price. I guess it's the currency exchange rate. Maybe I'll have to order some things from Connaught! It's tempting.

:biggrin:
I've bought from them in the past and their shipping rate to the US is really inexpensive (but no tracking with the cheap rate). I've found for the things I ordered from them directly, I was able to get the products for less money than in the US even with the added shipping charge. That Jade brush cost me about $4 more including shipping than the Proraso Pro brush I got from Proraso USA recently with an order that had shipping included plus a 15% discount.

I bought mine back in June, I think. It's my first one so I have nothing with which to compare it. I will say, my Zenith B33 has a more dense knot and I quite like the copper 506 handle.
I have the Zenith B03-A26 (IIRC) which is another excellent brush. In comparison to the Jade, the loft is a bit taller, maybe 5mm or so. That may give the impression there is more boar hair in the knot. In any case, too much density interferes with flow-through. There is a happy middle ground for density.

I just bought one as well…taking advantage of the exchange rate. The brush works well so far considering that it is not broken in. The shipping was a bargain (no tracking) and only took about 10 days.

Invoice Date: 19 July 2022
PayPal Express
USA Parcels (airmail)

Payment Status: Completed (Sale)
Currency: GBP

Item Name
OMEGA 011842 Premium Pure Bristle Shaving Brush

£20.75

Subtotal £20.75
Shipping £2.30
Tax £0.00

Total £23.05

Last edited by a moderator:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I shouldn't have commented, truth be told. I've been breaking all my boars in for DecemBOAR month via Wet/Dry cycles and haven't used any of them. I've just stroked them across my face, dry at this point. I've been so taken with my SV Manchurian badgers, I've been rotating them when we're home.

I have 9 very nice boar brushes. I got a little carried away, I admit it....who needs 9 boar brushes? Still, I had a blast "researching" boars on B&B and all of them are B&B Reg approved. <Eg>

I've had this brush on my wish list for years and when I finally decided to go for it about a year ago, I saw that the only one available was the Connaught version without the medallion. I know it's petty but I REALLY want one with the medallion. I think it adds so much to the aesthetic. The naked one looks cheap to me. Which, I know, makes no sense because the medallion is a cheap piece of plastic that will probably fall off at some point but the heart wants what the heart wants.. *sigh*

...I know it's petty but I REALLY want one with the medallion. I think it adds so much to the aesthetic. The naked one looks cheap to me. Which, I know, makes no sense because the medallion is a cheap piece of plastic that will probably fall off at some point but the heart wants what the heart wants.. *sigh*
That medallion is a mixed bag, really. It sticks out from the handle quite a bit so it almost gets in the way of your grip. Some people like it, some don't.

That medallion is a mixed bag, really. It sticks out from the handle quite a bit so it almost gets in the way of your grip. Some people like it, some don't.
I could see that... I pretty much palm the entire handle, fairly certain the medallion would irk me
I agree with you additionally - great brush, really love the opportunity to use mine; but I am focused on breaking in 3 boars vying for the opportunity to tag along travels with me :adoration:

I shouldn't have commented, truth be told. I've been breaking all my boars in for DecemBOAR month via Wet/Dry cycles and haven't used any of them. I've just stroked them across my face, dry at this point. I've been so taken with my SV Manchurian badgers, I've been rotating them when we're home.

I have 9 very nice boar brushes. I got a little carried away, I admit it....who needs 9 boar brushes? Still, I had a blast "researching" boars on B&B and all of them are B&B Reg approved. <Eg>
Sorry if you've already disclosed - what made your travel kit to Bali ?

Last edited:
I have known this community since 2011. This is a hobbyist forum and most members here are a bunch of nerds. For the unaware we might pass as people that like to whine. For us, every single detail is significant. A comma, a different font, or anything that deviates from the original release is being discussed on this forum. I wouldn't be here otherwise.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I could see that... I pretty much palm the entire handle, fairly certain the medallion would irk me
I agree with you additionally - great brush, really love the opportunity to use mine; but I am focused on breaking in 3 boars vying for the opportunity to tag along travels with me :adoration:

Sorry if you've already disclosed - what made your travel kit to Bali ?
I ended up bringing my two SOC Misturas along... and they are a joy to use.

My Connaught Omega Jade showed up today, about 10 days after the order. Handle has a nice weight but zero markings on it. Hard to know about the knot until it's broken in (soaking as we speak after a round with dish soap). Interesting, like the Proraso Pro I got a few weeks ago, this brush didn't smell at all but as soon as I wetted it, it smelled like mothballs, just like the Proraso. It will go away in a couple of lather cycles but I find it interesting. Really doesn't seem like a big upgrade from the $10 10065/66 except for the handle, which is solid. I am surprised there in noting embossed on the bottom like their other brushes. Certainly worth the $20.50 delivered I paid for it.

I ended up bringing my two SOC Misturas along... and they are a joy to use.
My Mistura in Cherry will fit my travel tube where the Taj and Butterscotch will not.
Most likely it will make the trip along with a Trafalgar T2 for use with a TOBS Stick and Speick Cream

I can add one piece of info that may not mean much with such a new brush but I ran another dish soap lather just now into the well soaked brush and it splayed pretty easily while lathering the dish soap in my palm. I mean, I gave it a little effort but I think this brush will splay nicely when completely broken in. Whether that's good or bad is up to the individual. Had ZERO need for another brush but you all know how it is with places like this. ;)

I just bought one as well…taking advantage of the exchange rate. The brush works well so far considering that it is not broken in. The shipping was a bargain (no tracking) and only took about 10 days.

Invoice Date: 19 July 2022
PayPal Express
USA Parcels (airmail)

Payment Status: Completed (Sale)
Currency: GBP

Item Name
OMEGA 011842 Premium Pure Bristle Shaving Brush

£20.75

Subtotal £20.75
Shipping £2.30
Tax £0.00

Total £23.05
Hi,

I also purchased one a few weeks ago when he had a 25% Omega discount promotion. From my observation, the knot is much denser than the Omega 49 knot. I understand that Omega is saying that the grade of hair does not change between brushes, but these hairs split after the first lathering cycle and this brush had a minimal odor compared to the 49. Because Omega boars don't really bloom much, I think it is going to maintain its density for a long time.

Top Bottom