What's new

The man makes the clothes

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
This photo is probably around 100 years old. I found the photo in the Keasbury-Gordon Photography Archive years ago, but I don't have the direct link to the pic itself any longer. The man was a crofter on the Isle of Skye. In places threadbare, in others patched or torn, he still looks terrific. The man in this case makes the clothes.
crofter.jpg

He looks good. Solid work on the knee patches.

My Irish grandmother used to mend everything. She would even sew and patch my white sports socks. She couldn’t understand why anyone would throw out a perfectly fine sock that only had a few holes and a few toes hanging out.

She used a wringer washing machine until the mid 80’s too.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Interesting old photograph. They did it tough years ago. I doubt that anyone of today’s hipsters could have put up with what they put up with. I know that I would really struggle.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Interesting old photograph. They did it tough years ago. I doubt that anyone of today’s hipsters could have put up with what they put up with. I know that I would really struggle.
Absolutely correct. I've been to Skye, and I've spoken to several people in the crofting community there, and I doubt that any of them could put up with what their ancestors put up with. I pray we and they never have to put up with it, but lately I've been wondering...

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Absolutely correct. I've been to Skye, and I've spoken to several people in the crofting community there, and I doubt that any of them could put up with what their ancestors put up with. I pray we and they never have to put up with it, but lately I've been wondering...
Disturbingly true. Ours is no longer a terribly resilient society.

People can get used to doing anything. Patched up work clothes come from getting used to working hard and getting sick of buying clothes to destroy working. I find it amazing that people find them to be fashionable. I’m mad at myself for all those years of cutting up my work clothes for oil rags…. Of course, mine were cotton and not the wool. They didn’t look as good as the crofter. My dad has a set of coveralls that is at least 80% patches. Many of the patches are from a beat up set of coveralls his dad had when he died. We bought him a new set of coveralls years ago, but he just keeps patching. He says it gives him something to do with his pre dinner cocktail….

Top Bottom