What's new

The last shave that made you realize why you do this thing...

Mine was tonight.

It is roughly 43 degrees outside, and the windows are open. I have about two days worth of growth on my face. I'm gonna light my face up, and give myself a treat.

I'm a bona fide night shaver anyhow, but tonight...tonight was special. Can't really explain why, but it just was. I got out of the shower and felt the cool air from the windows in the adjacent rooms hitting me. I washed my face with MRGLO soap and then added some Proraso Pre-Post. The cooling feeling then went to my face, and I lathered up some L'Occitane Cade. Loaded the Slanthammer with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Green. Three passes which felt like Sonja Henie slicing through a frozen pond. Nary a bump, nary a weeper. The alum block tingled and and my skin puckered. Thayer's Lavender, Osage Rub, and the cross-ventilation in my bedroom brought my face into what I can only describe as total happiness.

Sometimes, I think we might take this wetshaving thing for granted. I know I have in the past. A seemingly limitless array of products you can use to give yourself a quality shave, you can be inundated with it, and you can easily slip back into this thing being just one more thing you do. Tonight, I am out of my rut. The shave was superlative, but more than that, it reminded me exactly why I shave the way I do, and not the other ways that are available.

That's my story. My question is: What's yours?

Let's fill this thread with shaves that really stick out in your mind and made you realize why you do this.

Mine was tonight as well despite it being 80º here today. Some Mama Bear unscented with Proraso with a drop of glycerin, a Feather, a hot towel w/Proraso pre/post. Top it of with Dickens Witch Hazel, cold rinse then some Pinaud.

Bliss.:thumbup:

Yesterday afternoon. Irisch Moos cream and a 5/8 razor fresh from a touch-up hone. Face smooth and unmarked without conscous effort and then thoroughly dowsed in Proraso AS. :thumbup1:

Mine was yesterday. Shaved with my dull Dovo. Lots of pulling and tugging on the hair some razor burn had to finish with my DE and Feather. I think I just like the pain...Oh and because lathering with a brush and real shaving soap is just plain old fun!

This morning. The ususal steps, used a bigelow cream, and a new blade. Something has to be said, when you feel you got a nice clean shave, and the tingle of menthol.

Funnily enough, it was with Williams. That, my Mühle R89 and a fresh Personna Prep blade. Finished of with some Limes Skin Food. BBS with no irritation.

Mine was tonight.

It is roughly 43 degrees outside, and the windows are open. I have about two days worth of growth on my face. I'm gonna light my face up, and give myself a treat.

I'm a bona fide night shaver anyhow, but tonight...tonight was special. Can't really explain why, but it just was. I got out of the shower and felt the cool air from the windows in the adjacent rooms hitting me. I washed my face with MRGLO soap and then added some Proraso Pre-Post. The cooling feeling then went to my face, and I lathered up some L'Occitane Cade. Loaded the Slanthammer with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Green. Three passes which felt like Sonja Henie slicing through a frozen pond. Nary a bump, nary a weeper. The alum block tingled and and my skin puckered. Thayer's Lavender, Osage Rub, and the cross-ventilation in my bedroom brought my face into what I can only describe as total happiness.

Sometimes, I think we might take this wetshaving thing for granted. I know I have in the past. A seemingly limitless array of products you can use to give yourself a quality shave, you can be inundated with it, and you can easily slip back into this thing being just one more thing you do. Tonight, I am out of my rut. The shave was superlative, but more than that, it reminded me exactly why I shave the way I do, and not the other ways that are available.

That's my story. My question is: What's yours?

Let's fill this thread with shaves that really stick out in your mind and made you realize why you do this.
This morning!

1960 SuperSpeed, Gillette Super Stainless, ToBS Sandalwood, FS Silvertip.

Face lathered and had at it with the Gillette (from a sample pack). Three passes and a nice BBS shave. No irritation, no strays. Just smooooooooth.

Followed up with some Witch Hazel, Real Shaving Co. Balm, and a splash of Old Spice.

Man, what a wonderful way to start the day!

I'll take it in another direction....

The last shave that made me realize why I do this thing was in early January when I found myself shaving in the shower with my Mach3 and just water just to "get it done". That and the price of cartridges put me over the edge (no pun intended).

I shave at night most of the time too, being a college student who's job invovles wearing a big coat and goggles and pushing snow around I don't really "have" to be clean shaven ever so I've not experienced a truly rushed shave.

I'm pretty new so I can probably count on my hands the number of real "ah ha" shaves that I've had, but last weekend I had to fly to go on a weekend trip. I absolutely hate flying, it's a nerve wracking experience for me and I really like to have myself 100% organized and ship shape before I step foot in an airport. So naturally I needed a great shave! It sounds strange, but this particular shave was a big part of getting me mentally prepared for stress, and I think might be my favorite shave, if such a thing is possible :thumbup1:

similar to bdev, i had an experience just the other day that reminded why i have started to try DE shaving, moving away from carts.

Got home from work and had to get ready to hit the town for a mate's 25th b'day...
Jumped in the shower and cleaned up, lathered the face, threw a brand new cart blade in my Quattro and started shaving - WORST SHAVE I HAVE EVER HAD. 3 nicks (near impossible with a quattro) and my face felt like it was on fire for a good 2 hours, even after applying cold water liberally and then soothing aloe/lemon ASB.

Threw the Quattro in the bin today.

Today's shave w/ the traveling slant. An easy irritation free near BBS shave with an easy to lather soap. It was great.

Last night at 4am, I usually need some time to mellow out from an ER shift, especially one spent fighting with our uber-specialty services in a quaternary care setting just to get patients admitted. Come 3:30 am I finally make it home, have a shower, pour myself a glass and decide that the middle of the night is perfect for a full-on straight shave (I DE now most of the time unless it's for luxury).

DR Harris Arlington with AS and Balm, played with my new Chubby 3 in Best (wanted a "scrub" brush not in silver) and gave my "self honed" TI a first pass, second pass and clean went to a Muhle DE.

Applied AS to lower face and upper chest, applied balm to lower face and full face. By the time I was done ... no ER jitters ... no trouble relaxing ... and kept it to one drink before bed ;-)

Now, done eating, 5 minutes, back to ER disaster.

None yet. Sometimes it's not a hassle...sometimes. I've found some products that work better than others, for sure. Some techniques are better than others. I've only been doing it for a few months, so we shall see.

Got an excellent, DFS shave this morning as usual. Worth the hassle?

Probably not.

Jeff

Top Bottom