What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

View attachment 1307492
What's not to like? Paul Newman, Sally Field, a vintage boat, a Mazda RX-7, and Miami in the early 1980s. But it is Wilford Brimley's performance holding court near the movie's end that will knock your socks off. This 40-year-old flick has aged well. Currently streaming on Amazon Prime US.
"I’m going to have somebody’s butt in my briefcase." One of the best lines of all time.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
1628376502105.png
Although I haven't see this movie yet...the trailer is designed to pull you into wanting more. As a retired Chef (CEC), I was immediately intrigued by this docu-movie...looking for the 'holy grail' of truffles...the "highly coveted white Alba truffle". :thumbsup:

I believe this movie can be 'streamed' (Netflix. HBO Max, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Sony Picture Classics, etc...), but I prefer to wait unit the film is at Red Box or I can wait until 17 Aug...and buy it on Blu-ray or DVD. :wink2:

"The truffle is among the worlds most obsure and mysterious foods". CBJ

"...'The Truffle Hunters' Is Absolutely Sublime"

By Kristy Puchko - Pajpa Film - March 5, 2021

proxy.php
"Imagine for a moment that you could be swiftly whisked away from your life, from lockdown [pandemic] , from the load of pressures bearing down relentlessly, off [to] the forests of Northern Italy.

This is the bliss offered by The Truffle Hunters, an enchanting and immersive documentary about the eccentric old men—and their dear dogs!—who search day and night for the highly coveted white Alba truffle.

With an unobtrusive execution, documentarians Michael Dweck and Gregory Kershaw usher audiences into their world, from humble homes to sprawling woods, posh auction blocks, and dark alleys, where haggling is done by headlights.

The Truffle Hunters begins in an areal shot, looking down upon a steep hill. Through the tree cover, you can make out two people and two dogs. There will be no talking-head interviews, where such men might answer crisp questions about their process. There will be no voiceover serving as a handholding guide through the traditions and trials of truffle hunting and sales. Instead, Dweck and Kershaw allow a curated collection of scenes to play out and build context.

Following, a handful of characters, from hunters to dealers to an auctioneer with a posh palette, The Truffle Hunters gives a well-rounded view of this curious industry. However, the title hints the film’s makers know who the true stars here are.

There is Aurelio, a spry hunter whose closest companion is Birba, his adorable dog and partner in the search. It’s the dogs that sniff out where this rare truffle is buried. So, a good dog is worth their weight in gold. Elderly Aurelio is keenly aware of this, as he is of his own impending mortality. When a family friend tries to pry out the locations of his secret hunting spots, the old man laughs, proclaiming they’ll go with him to his grave. But Birba. For her, he worries. He cuddles her and feeds her treats, and promises he will find her a loving home. Perhaps, he ponders, he can leave his house to a “big woman” who’d have heart enough to give this darling dog due love.

1628379260364.png

1628381312459.png
In sharp contrast to Aurelio’s sweetness is a scowling neighbor who has retired from hunting because of the viciousness that has crept into the trade. He spits with fury over the sabotages some hunters now lay down, resulting in flat tires and poisoned dogs.

His scenes contain an authentic fury, yet sometimes where the artifice of this doc is exposed. For instance, when he settles in to write a manifesto on his typewriter, the camera is already in place before it, clearly staged for a clean shot. He needs some outlet to verbalize his frustrations with his field. So, he dictates boisterously while his gnarled hands struggle to keep up on the keys. Through his righteous rants, the risks of these hunts are made clear, giving setup to one sequence that is not graphic but nonetheless unnerving.
looking-through-the-blinds-jpg.965913

Then, comes Carlo, an 80-year-old hunter with a smile as unshakable as his desire to hunt truffles. He was my favorite. Carlo reminded me of my beloved late grandfather, whether he was guilelessly annoying his broad-shouldered wife as they cleaned a mountain of tomatoes, or politely brushing off the advice of his doctor, or sneaking off—despite warnings and protestations—to go on the hunt once more. His enthusiasm and live-for-the-moment attitude blazing from him like a beacon, inviting and uplifting.

Of course, these men are not the only truffle hunters in the film. Their dogs are also offered the chance to share their perspective on the hunt. Which is to say: they strap a GoPro camera on a dog!

Thus, we are thrust into the point-of-view of a hunting dog as it races through the woods. The frenzied rush of brush swinging by, the excited pant, the snuffle of his nose, it all takes the immersion of The Truffle Hunters to the next level. You can almost feel the grass beneath your feet and smell the distinct stink of truffle in the air.

It is absolutely Sublime". [...]

Read More: "Truffle Hunters"

proxy.php
"The truffle is the very diamond of gastronomy". Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I can't speak for the civilian version, but the military versions of this jacket are comfortable, warm and surprisingly lightweight.

A classic from 1952: Dreamboat, a delightful comedy with Clifton Webb, Ginger Rogers, and a very young Anne Francis. Webb plays Thornton Sayer, an English prof at a little college in New England, with a grown daughter (Anne) who is tuning up to be an academic too. Turns out that 25 years back, he starred as "Bruce Blair" in a series of silent films -- and now those movies are being run on TV by his former co-star Gloria Marlowe (Ginger R.), to hype her perfume products. His college is not amused, and so he sets out to block the films from being shown on TV. Wonderful wit and sight gags, including "footage" of Blair's silent flicks with Gloria, with a neat little twist ending.

Funniest line: His daughter tells him in horror about the perfume products Gloria is hawking. "Exotic Passion, and Five Sins --"

Thornton: "Five?" (As if he'd be okay with 2 or 3, or even 4, but 5 is really beyond the pale)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
According to website, they have both an authentic version as well as a less-expensive replica.

Which one do you think McQueen wore? 😀
The orange lining in the pic of McQueen wearing it open looks like milspec. The orange in the jacket pic below seems washed out and not as bright. Most of the ones I wore had a brass zipper and pull, but I did have one that was steel. Never had one that was black or plastic.

Last edited:
Part of 1957's Trooper Hook, the big-screen adaptation of Jack Schaefer's classic Western short story "Sergeant Houck." Joel McCrea plays the title role, the stalwart and tough-but-human soldier detailed to bring a woman (Barbara Stanwyck) captured some years ago by the Apaches back to her husband -- along with the child she bore to the Apache chief. Very good casting, especially to someone who has read the short story many times and admires its storytelling and writing.

Odd moment: During one of McCrea's rare longer speeches as Hook, I found his voice very familiar. It took some flipping through my mental database, but at last I had it. McCrea sounded exactly like William Holden in Sunset Boulevard and Stalag 17!

What a great movie. Going to have to watch it again now!
Watching Peter Graves as a bad guy was fun.
I'm a big Billy Wilder fan and have loved most of his movies. But I saw Stalag 17 only recently . . . and somehow I couldn't avoid thinking (in the comic scenes) of Hogan's Heroes! It was the same way for me with Sunset Boulevard at first. I'd seen parodies of it on Carol Burnett and other variety shows growing up, and couldn't absorb the true flavor of the film until I was older and on a second viewing. Apparently there is something about Wilder's films that lends itself to parody.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm a big Billy Wilder fan and have loved most of his movies. But I saw Stalag 17 only recently . . . and somehow I couldn't avoid thinking (in the comic scenes) of Hogan's Heroes! It was the same way for me with Sunset Boulevard at first. I'd seen parodies of it on Carol Burnett and other variety shows growing up, and couldn't absorb the true flavor of the film until I was older and on a second viewing. Apparently there is something about Wilder's films that lends itself to parody.

He had a penchant for flashbacks and odd cut scenes which probably contributed to that. The strange, somehow out of place Greta Garbo bit with Robert Strauss was one such piece.

Part of 1957's Trooper Hook, the big-screen adaptation of Jack Schaefer's classic Western short story "Sergeant Houck." Joel McCrea plays the title role, the stalwart and tough-but-human soldier detailed to bring a woman (Barbara Stanwyck) captured some years ago by the Apaches back to her husband -- along with the child she bore to the Apache chief. Very good casting, especially to someone who has read the short story many times and admires its storytelling and writing.

Odd moment: During one of McCrea's rare longer speeches as Hook, I found his voice very familiar. It took some flipping through my mental database, but at last I had it. McCrea sounded exactly like William Holden in Sunset Boulevard and Stalag 17!
Never thought of that, but they both have a certain gravelly Midwestern sound

Top Bottom