What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
1627861907694.jpeg

Racing footage is great but at 2:55 it was just way too long.

That’s exactly what I’m talking about. I think entertaining movies are looked down on by the critics so that the unwashed masses will just assume that the critic is on a much higher plane than they, the masses, are.
I'll have to give Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert multiple stars for rarely doing this. Ebert, anyway. When Ghostbusters was coming out, they reviewed it. I wasn't planning to see it, not being a big fan of Aykroyd or Murray at that point, and I thought it was going to be another car crash-filled Blues Brothers. Ebert touted the "sly humor" in Ghostbusters and reviewed it very positively, so I went to see it, and rang up one of my short list of Movies in Which I Would Change Nothing.

This weekend I was set to watch one of Clifton Webb's 1950s movies, the more "heartwarming" comedies he did when the studio was trying to change his image from the Waldo Lydecker of Laura. This one was Dreamboat from 1952, with Ginger Rogers top billed with Webb, and a very young Anne Francis playing his daughter. But my power went out!

I'll have to give Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert multiple stars for rarely doing this. Ebert, anyway. When Ghostbusters was coming out, they reviewed it. I wasn't planning to see it, not being a big fan of Aykroyd or Murray at that point, and I thought it was going to be another car crash-filled Blues Brothers. Ebert touted the "sly humor" in Ghostbusters and reviewed it very positively, so I went to see it, and rang up one of my short list of Movies in Which I Would Change Nothing.
I must agree. They seemed to be the critics for the common man and weren’t concerned about what other people thought.

Black Widow last night at a new local Drive In.

Exactly as expected. Lots of explosions, fights and effects. Pretty good story but not a great Marvel movie.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
"Naked Gun" and "Naked Gun 2-1/2, The Smell of Fear."

Great, rollicking, zany Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker fun. Nobody mugs like Leslie Nielsen did, God bless him.

Next, of course, is "Naked Gun 33-1/3, The Final Insult."

All are free on YouTube.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I watched a South Korean movie 'The Witness' from 2018. A very exciting thriller about a man who sees a murder from his apartment window, highly recommended. I am enjoying a lot of South East Asian movies these days although Filipino films tend to be mostly romantic comedies which are not to my taste.

DVR'd A Fistful of Dollars and A Few Dollars More from TCM. Not a fan of 2:35 aspect ratio on my wide screen TV. I haven't seen them in many years. I saw all 3 films in a theater on their initial release while in college in the 60s. I grew up watching westerns on TV in the 1950's, including Rawhide. Besides Wanted Dead or Alive, and Have Gun Will Travel, my favorite was Yancy Derringer. I loved Pahoo throwing back his poncho and blasting someone with his sawed-off shotgun. No blood, but it was still deemed too violent for 50s TV. Like Night of the Living Dead was to horror films, A Fistful of Dollars was like something no one had seen before in a cowboy movie. That said, my favorite violent cowboy film of the time period is still "Valdez Is Coming".

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
MV5BZjlmMTdhNDgtYWMwZi00ZWIxLThlYzEtODE0MjlhNjEzZjlhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAwMzUyOTc@._V1_.jpg

What's not to like? Paul Newman, Sally Field, a vintage boat, a Mazda RX-7, and Miami in the early 1980s. But it is Wilford Brimley's performance holding court near the movie's end that will knock your socks off. This 40-year-old flick has aged well. Currently streaming on Amazon Prime US.

Hour of the Gun--the story of Wyatt Earp/Doc Holliday taking out the Clanton gang for maiming one of Earp's brothers, and murdering the other, in Tombstone, Arizona Territory. Starring James Garner and Jason Robards as Earp/Holliday. These two actors were top-notch in this movie. One of my favorite westerns.

Top Bottom