What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

On holiday last week and had a week of watching movies every evening (wee one was sleeping so can't go out)

- Superbad (love this film)
- Hatchet (getting into the Halloween spirit with some comedy horror)
- 22 Jump Street
- The Cottage (an excellent British comedy horror with Reece Shearsmith (league of gentlemen), Andy Serkis (playing an actual person, no CGI, motion capture involved 😂 ) and Jennifer Ellison)
- Hubie Halloween (Adam Sandler "comedy" horror, I didn't pick it...but it wasn't as bad as I expected)
- The Babysitter: Killer Queen (another comedy horror...starting to see a trend here...)
- Moana (one for the wee one, fortunately it has some catchy songs)

Just re-watched one of my all time favorites, After The Fox from 1966? It's Peter Sellers as an international thief smuggling gold in a unique way. Great supporting cast, script by Neil Simon, directed by the great De Sica, music by Burt Bacharach, title sung by The Hollies, it's the pinnacle of the swinging 60's.

Just re-watched one of my all time favorites, After The Fox from 1966? It's Peter Sellers as an international thief smuggling gold in a unique way. Great supporting cast, script by Neil Simon, directed by the great De Sica, music by Burt Bacharach, title sung by The Hollies, it's the pinnacle of the swinging 60's.

Peter Sellers,

Great supporting cast,

music,

the pinnacle of the swinging 60's

That is The Magic Christian:

starring Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr, with appearances by John Cleese,
Graham Chapman, Raquel Welch, Spike Milligan, Christopher Lee,
Richard Attenborough and Roman Polanski

Songs by Badfinger, including one written by Paul McCartney

The Magic Christian received mostly negative reviews on release
with its unrelenting and heavy-handed satire on capitalism, greed and human vanities.

I almost forgot,
the absolutely most memorable rendition ever of Hamlet's soliloquy
is by Laurence Harvey, done as a striptease .

Last edited:
Peter Sellers,

Great supporting cast,

music,

the pinnacle of the swinging 60's

That is The Magic Christian:

starring Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr, with appearances by John Cleese,
Graham Chapman, Raquel Welch, Spike Milligan, Christopher Lee,
Richard Attenborough and Roman Polanski

Songs by Badfinger, including one written by Paul McCartney

The Magic Christian received mostly negative reviews on release
with its unrelenting and heavy-handed satire on capitalism, greed and human vanities.

I almost forgot,
the absolutely most memorable rendition ever of Hamlet's soliloquy
is by Laurence Harvey, done as a striptease .
MC is more psychedelic, but ATF is funnier.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Chazz Palmenteri’s, A Bronx Tale - an excellent movie from back when I still cared to watch DeNiro.
Favorite scene ... City Island; Wasted Talent & Flamenco Sketches:

Baywatch (2017). No where near as bad as I was expecting. In fact, I though it was well made, knowingly self referential and quite funny. I'm turning into kind of a fan of The Rock. I liked him in Pain and Gain too, a bad film but there was something about it I liked.

Last night, Beauty and the Dogs, maybe the first Tunisian film I've seen. Very, very good. Based on real events, it's about a young womans fight for justice in a new, yet still corrupt emerging democracy.

My Man Godfrey from 1936, with William Powell and the astonishing Carole Lombard. It's usually called a "screwball" comedy, as it's from that period (think Bringing Up Baby w/ Cary Grant), but the situation is not too screwball-ish. The Fifth Avenue upper-crust family for whom Powell's Godfrey goes to work as their butler is pretty weird, however, and the father (raspy-voiced Eugene Pallette) even says so. But Godfrey not only learns something important about his life, he touches the lives of the Bullock family in ways he and they don't expect. More witty than laugh-out-loud funny, it is great -- a fine example of how well Hollywood could do a film during the first decade of the talkies.

Trivia: Powell and Carole had been divorced for three years at this point. The studio wanted Joan Bennett to play the lead opposite him, but he said firmly, "No. Carole is the only one." They remained friends until she died in that untimely plane crash in '42. (Powell, boy, he got around. At one point he was engaged to Jean Harlow, the Marilyn Monroe of her day.)

Baywatch (2017). No where near as bad as I was expecting. In fact, I though it was well made, knowingly self referential and quite funny. I'm turning into kind of a fan of The Rock. I liked him in Pain and Gain too, a bad film but there was something about it I liked.

I liked Baywatch as well, its a good comedy that doesn't take itself too seriously and was well cast.

Top Bottom