What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Broken Lance--Grit TV. Spencer Tracy as a hardcase land baron cattle rancher. Tracy was a bad dude, nobody you would mess with. Not a single actor in Hollywierd today that could carry his jockstrap.

Getting in the Halloween spirit with Hell Fest (slasher film about a serial killer running about a horror themed amusement park, so everyone think's its just part of the show) and Frankenweenie (the 1984 short, why Disney thought it was a waste of money and fired Tim Burton over it I have no idea, quite an enjoyable short)

A 1953 noir classic, Wicked Woman, with tall blonde Beverly Daniels and stolid leading man Richard Egan. It's kind of an anti-noir, as there are no murders or real violence, and in contrast to the rainy dark streets of most noir films, everything seems to take place in a sunny but unnamed town, possibly in the Southwest. A sexy but embittered blonde drifts into town and takes a job at a bar and grill run by Egan and his alcoholic wife. Sparks fly between Egan and Daniels, who also has another admirer back at her rooming house, played to creepy perfection by character actor Percy Helton. (If you saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, you'll remember Helton as "Sweet-Face.") The couple want to run off to Mexico. Question: How to sell the bar without the co-owner, the wife, knowing?

Some very good suspense moments in this one. It's only 77 minutes long, but things happen. Good performances all around.

watched The Creature Walks Among Us and 1931's Dracula on Saturday, watched the Babysitter and Babysitter Killer Queen (enjoyable splatter comedy) on Sunday.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The Eureka Stockade from 1949. A great old Australian movie starring Chips Rafferty and Gordon Jackson. Black and White.

The Eureka Stockade from 1949. A great old Australian movie starring Chips Rafferty and Gordon Jackson. Black and White.

Is that the same Gordon Jackson from Glasgow who played the butler in "Upstairs, Downstairs" and Cowley in the "Professionals"?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Is that the same Gordon Jackson from Glasgow who played the butler in "Upstairs, Downstairs" and Cowley in the "Professionals"?
The one and only. I also liked him in the TV Series The Professionals. He was a fantastic actor.

High Noon--Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly star in this western. A New Mexico territory town marshall goes it alone in stopping a bad gang from terrorizing his community.

Made in to Ciniworld before they temporarily all close down here and saw the new Bill and Ted film. I wasn't sure if it would be any good, but it turned out to be an easy watch and I found it pretty funny so a good final trip the cinema for the time being!

Warning: negative

Passengers. It's been a while since I've seen an actor as wooden as Chris Pratt. Things get worse when Jennifer Lawrence enters the scene, with her undeniable acting ability only serving to highlight her co-star's shortcomings. Then there's the issues with the writing. This was science fiction minus the science. Apart from Michael Sheen's robot, all of the AI was either equivalent to what we have now or more primitive. Coupled with vastly advanced technologies, it's no surprise that things go unrealistically and terrifyingly wrong. It would be like living in the 21st century with the intellectual and social constructs of the middle ages. The numerous plot holes add to the misery. Utterly unconvincing, I somehow watched it to the end, more than I could do with the Kingsman: The Golden Circle a few days ago. Now that was a bad movie.

Top Bottom