What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

The 2010 remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street. Really disappointed with this one. In trying to make it a much darker version than the original, it lost all the elements that made the original so good. There was none of the dark humour from the original, Freddy was (to me) too serious and looked too realistic with none of the one liners he had in the originals and the story line albeit similar wasn't as good.

My 5 year old grandson and I watched the Mummy's Ghost and The Mummy's Curse, both 1944. He really enjoyed them and was going around saying "it's the mum-mah! I wanted to get him going on the Frankenstein series but he had to back home to his parents. I picked up Abbott and Costello Meet The Mummy this week because I think he'll enjoy that.

Last weekend my neighbor set up a video screen outside for "movie night". One of my other neighbors lobbied for I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, against my wife's protestations. I of course was in full support. What a classic movie. My neighbor and I were laughing out loud through most of the movie and quoting lines repeatedly. What a great movie.

Devil. A group of strangers are stuck in an elevator and one of them is the Devil, good film and I had no idea who the Devil was until the very end!

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
The ‘Bat’: Vincent Price, he was a killer
It was called a ‘Thriller’, which is want I wanted : it was pretty good
Then I saw a movie about Killer Spiders. They were really Tarantulas . It was bad movie.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Peter Sellers,

Great supporting cast,

music,

the pinnacle of the swinging 60's

That is The Magic Christian:

starring Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr, with appearances by John Cleese,
Graham Chapman, Raquel Welch, Spike Milligan, Christopher Lee,
Richard Attenborough and Roman Polanski

Songs by Badfinger, including one written by Paul McCartney

The Magic Christian received mostly negative reviews on release
with its unrelenting and heavy-handed satire on capitalism, greed and human vanities.

I almost forgot,
the absolutely most memorable rendition ever of Hamlet's soliloquy
is by Laurence Harvey, done as a striptease .
I never saw the film but I loved Terry Southern's book. "That'll make it hot for them!"

Peter Sellers,

Great supporting cast,

music,

the pinnacle of the swinging 60's

That is The Magic Christian:

starring Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr, with appearances by John Cleese,
Graham Chapman, Raquel Welch, Spike Milligan, Christopher Lee,
Richard Attenborough and Roman Polanski

Songs by Badfinger, including one written by Paul McCartney

The Magic Christian received mostly negative reviews on release
with its unrelenting and heavy-handed satire on capitalism, greed and human vanities.

I almost forgot,
the absolutely most memorable rendition ever of Hamlet's soliloquy
is by Laurence Harvey, done as a striptease .
I have never seen this movie. I need to check it out.

The Party was funny as hell and the Magic Christian cast looks stellar.

Yesterday I watched Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger and Thunderball to mark Sean Connery's passing.
It's a shame for a lifelong Bond fan, novels and movies, to admit it, but I don't have any of those films on DVD.

I just finished watching Connery's early (first?) film, Hell Drivers, from 1957. He plays one of a cadre of rough-and-tumble truck drivers who compete wildly with each other for a number of runs per day. With him are Stanley Baker, the lead (who would have made a good Bond himself then), Patrick McGoohan (of which more in a moment), David McCallum (later of Man From U.N.C.L.E.) as Baker's crippled brother, Jill Ireland, and Herbert Lom. It's a very tense and fast-paced movie.

The standout in it is McGoohan. He plays the clearly insane road foreman of the truckers, the "pace setter," and I hope he received some award for the role. He's a tall goblin, chain smoking, sneering, and howling with laughter, and he moves as though he wants to smash anything and anyone that gets in his way. I chose it to see Connery, but McGoohan dominated the story.

Top Bottom