What's new

The Island Shaving Challenge.

My choices (that work great at home also):
Wolfman WR1 razor in WCS leather case
GSB blades (choice may change tomorrow)
Haslinger schafmilch (one or two little pucks)
Rudy Vey B&B 2-band brush
Pinaud clubman splash (may as well go for a classic)
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I still think that you could go the SR route but stainless...

Razor: Tanifuji Max-fli 5000 (might be a challenge to find) or Filaharmonica INOX
Brush: Maseto Extra density 24-mm two-band Classic (great value)
Soap: A couple DR Harris shave sticks (your fav scent)
Honing: Lapping film set (for the sake of weight and convenience)

Sounds like packing for a deployment. 2 Hints: lots of stuff can fit inside hiking boots and underwear takes up space and isn’t needed.
My kit:
Razor: Blackland Razors Sabre L2
Blade: 25 GEM PTFE (more than necessary but also useful for self aide/small surgical requirements)
Brush: Yaqi Purple Mink (synthetic dries quick and fairly small)
Soap/Cream: 1 stick ARKO and 1 tube cream (Ach Brito Lavanda)
That’s it. Takes up only a little room, great shaves, emergency medical cutting.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I don’t travel with my Wolfman or Charcoal Goods razors. So I’d bring a Timeless 95, 2 tucks of Perma Sharp Golds, a good synth like the PAA Atomic Rocket, a stick of Arko, and a Star Jelly Planet 9 gel aftershave. Done.

They say when travelling bring half the clothes and twice the money. Which I find invariably true.

However, you're not travelling. You're staying in one place and will have the luxury of time. Or I should say time will change to something different than what it is on the mainland and/or your regular life with all its distractions.

It's the lack of distractions that frees one's mind and gives you opportunity to explore new paths inward and outward.

I say this having spent the past year and a half in the woods. And not for the first time! I once spent 3 months living out of a messenger bag, just 2 changes of clothes, a razor, toothbrush, multipurpose soap, and a few good books. Never felt better! But I was on the move...

I'd expect there are some good books in that lighthouse. Relevant books. That smell like 100 years!

In times like this shaving may become more important. Or it may disappear and you'll forget it and grow a lighthouse keepers beard! But for me shaving is a nice mix of inward and outward at the same time- inward thinking and skill development and outward utensils and results.

Anyway, depending on how you personally respond to a degree of isolation, you may find the opportunity to slow down and find new dimensions to shaving. Right now you're guessing. But I can tell you that after a few months on the island, going only where your feet carry you, you'll find immense luxury in small choice (as opposed to none). Now that i think about it, choice kind of defines luxury.

Therefore, were I in your shoes, I would bring my two favorite razors. The ones I get along best with. And I'd bring a few tucks of my favorite blades. And I'd bring a few small chunks/samples of my favorite soaps.

The reason is variety. When you're isolated variety truly becomes the spice of life. And small variety becomes a big luxury when you're isolated. Not confusing quantity, but let having the luxury of small choices be a treat. It'll surprise you how important that can be! Three little soaps, three blades, two razors. It'll occupy your mind in a different way than it does now and it'll give you something to look forward to.

In the next month or so I'll be going from one rural place to another. So I've been thinking about what to pack. Straights are always my preference but I don't ever travel with them because of all the peripherals and extra time they require. And one doesn't want to gamble on new stuff in a situation where you be stuck with things you don't want.

FOCS - my favorite razor, it'll give good easy shaves but you can also really get incredible results if desired, with a little more time and focus. This is my main DE.

Probably a Gillette Knack for a second DE. Just for a little variety. It's incredibly quick and easy and rewarding to knock out a great shave with this razor. Neat, light, simple and not distracting. It's a razor I get along well with. Perfect travel razor.

So I'd have a challenging razor to dive deep as well as a light snack of a razor. An adjustable would also fit the bill for a second razor. Built in variety!

For soap I prefer a hand lather with Granado. I wouldn't bring a brush to avoid that commitment and complication. So I'd bring a bar of Granado. But if you use more than one soap just cut off a chunk of a few of your favorite soaps and put them in a ziploc. The variety in scent performance will be a real treat. Trust me! And without such variety shaving could become drudgery especially in an isolated situation. Bring one with lanolin for cold weather. MWF evolved in a climate like where you're going so consider bringing a chunk (I've never used it). Also, hand lathering uses less soap.

By the way, after hand lathering for 6 months you're never going back to a brush.

A couple tucks of blade types. Almost enough of each to make it through 6 months. Just grab your 3 favorite blades. The ones you most look forward to using. For me that would be Treet Black Beauties, Kai, and the third TBD but so far Wizamet. I'd grab 3 tucks each.

And if you're thinking this it too much I respectfully disagree. You're not travelling, you're going to be at the same location the whole time. And everything that I mentioned can be tucked here and there in miniscule gaps in your bag with zero impact. Or roll a pair of pants tighter and put everything in the space you just created. The luxury of choice is very much worth it if shaving matters to you! This is very minimal but still interesting.

Also, you're still in the CONUS. I can't imagine mail would be impossible. Might take two weeks but there's got to be a way. Even have friends or family send it to a local fisherman. Maine folk are sturdy and reliable! And they always find a way. They're going to respect what you're doing and they're going to be glad to help you out.

Sounds like you'll be there until November or December. I can tell you that I've been lifted off my feet by a noreaster in November. The rain and snow blew sideways for 5 days! You're going to have an incredible time.

I'm honestly a bit envious. You've got the chance of a lifetime! Sign me up!

Last edited:
They say when travelling bring half the clothes and twice the money. Which I find invariably true.

However, you're not travelling. You're staying in one place and will have the luxury of time. Or I should say time will change to something different than what it is on the mainland and/or your regular life with all its distractions.

It's the lack of distractions that frees one's mind and gives you opportunity to explore new paths inward and outward.

I say this having spent the past year and a half in the woods. And not for the first time! I once spent 3 months living out of a messenger bag, just 2 changes of clothes, a razor, toothbrush, multipurpose soap, and a few good books. Never felt better! But I was on the move...

I'd expect there are some good books in that lighthouse. Relevant books. That smell like 100 years!

In times like this shaving may become more important. Or it may disappear and you'll forget it and grow a lighthouse keepers beard! But for me shaving is a nice mix of inward and outward at the same time- inward thinking and skill development and outward utensils and results.

Anyway, depending on how you personally respond to a degree of isolation, you may find the opportunity to slow down and find new dimensions to shaving. Right now you're guessing. But I can tell you that after a few months on the island, going only where your feet carry you, you'll find immense luxury in small choice (as opposed to none). Now that i think about it, choice kind of defines luxury.

Therefore, were I in your shoes, I would bring my two favorite razors. The ones I get along best with. And I'd bring a few tucks of my favorite blades. And I'd bring a few small chunks/samples of my favorite soaps.

The reason is variety. When you're isolated variety truly becomes the spice of life. And small variety becomes a big luxury when you're isolated. Not confusing quantity, but let having the luxury of small choices be a treat. It'll surprise you how important that can be! Three little soaps, three blades, two razors. It'll occupy your mind in a different way than it does now and it'll give you something to look forward to.

In the next month or so I'll be going from one rural place to another. So I've been thinking about what to pack. Straights are always my preference but I don't ever travel with them because of all the peripherals and extra time they require. And one doesn't want to gamble on new stuff in a situation where you be stuck with things you don't want.

What a nice proverb! I wish i could replace "woods" with "Africa"!

Eben Stone

Staff member
The reason is variety. When you're isolated variety truly becomes the spice of life. And small variety becomes a big luxury when you're isolated.

I already answered, but I agree that variety is the spice of life.

I just became displaced from home due to water damage and they found asbestos in the walls. I'm stuck in a hotel while the repairs are done.

Initially I decided to take my RR Hawk, some Feather Pro blades, and TBS maca root soap and a/s and 2 soap samplers.

Apparently I really like variety, because today I went back to the house and grabbed my R41, all the DE blades I'm currently "testing" (about 12), and 16 soap samplers, witch hazel, and proraso green a/s.

If I ever did leave for 6 months I would just take everything I could possible fit.

Hmmm.... gorgeous scenery. I am envious. While I understand packing light, I also have to have activities to fill my time and something to keep me from having idle hands. For me it would I would go on an eBay vintage SR shopping spree. With salvageable blades of course. I would take my hones and probably spend an hour a day bringing those razors back to life.

Also... I’m not one to question personal decisions made by others, but I would take a brush.

For me it would be:
Razor: Gillette contract tech
Blades: Gillette silver blue
Soaps: Stirling Haverford, mountain man, executive man, triumph and sandpiper
Brush: Stirling synthetic 2 band
A couple of bottles of my custom scented ASB (which may or may not be hard to get after next month. Owner of the store is leaving due to personal reasons. She’s in the process of selling the business but not sure on the current situation.)

Razor: Weck Sextoblade - light and zero footprint, can use every day or mow down a month long beard
Blades: 3 packs of five blades - Annie, Kismet, and Personna - variety and 10-15 shaves a piece = 150 shaves minimum
Brush: A small synth of your choice - dries fast, no damage from the environment
Soap: Stick of Arko and a few Stirling samples - variety and quality with decent post shave since no aftershave was mentioned.

I already answered, but I agree that variety is the spice of life.

I just became displaced from home due to water damage and they found asbestos in the walls. I'm stuck in a hotel while the repairs are done.

Initially I decided to take my RR Hawk, some Feather Pro blades, and TBS maca root soap and a/s and 2 soap samplers.

Apparently I really like variety, because today I went back to the house and grabbed my R41, all the DE blades I'm currently "testing" (about 12), and 16 soap samplers, witch hazel, and proraso green a/s.

If I ever did leave for 6 months I would just take everything I could possible fit.

I'm sorry to hear about your displacement. We went through a similar situation and I know it's no fun. I hope everything is resolved as well and as quickly as possible!

I think your experience is valuable and relevant here. My initial thought was, "oh yeah, shaving gives you something very pleasant to do!". It can be a nice diversion in trying times. It has been for me over the last year!

I'll just repeat a few other comments that point out that the original poster isn't on the road travelling light, they just need to get there and then will be unpacked for 6 months.

So just squeeze in your favorite gear!

You will be living on a remote island for the next six months. What shaving gear do you bring?

This needs to fit into the size of a suitcase along with all of your clothing and anything else that you wish to have for the next six months of your life. It needs to survive high humidity, and there is no option to have anything shipped to you once you arrive on the island.

I was inspired to ask this question to the B&B community drawing from my own life circumstances. There is a good chance that I will be moving to a remote island in the next few weeks and the very real question of "what do I bring?" is staring me in the face. It's going to be a very interesting game of how creative can I be when I pack my bags, and what can I live without? As much as I'm going to miss my straight razors, they are overly complicated and not friendly to living right on the ocean. Which is where the beauty of the stainless steel safety razor is going to shine.

I've decided to go with the following:
1 Feather AS-D2 safety razor
20 Feather double edge razor blades
1 Puck of Ogallala Bay Rum Shaving Soap
1 Parker Safety Razor travel case

View attachment 1259189View attachment 1259190

Beautiful place! Best of luck!

And keep us posted about how the “challenge” evolves once you’re there.

A Pearl Flexi adjustable
It's brass, heavy enough to double up as a mini hand weapon if you encounter someone or something hostile charging towards you fast and furious.

Just take it out from your pocket, curl up a first and let the handle position between your fingers like those iron knuckles ready for a super knock out punch.

Soap can be Williams mug shave soap. I heard it can double up as bath and shave soap. No brush needed. Triple milled, a little will go a long way.

Sent by the Shave Maharaja from my SM-A705GM using Tapatalk

Beautiful place! Best of luck!

And keep us posted about how the “challenge” evolves once you’re there.
It’s been a crazy journey! I’ve been on the island for two days now, but too sunburnt to shave yet. I’ll update as we go. The water here is super soft, so I hope that will help.
E4D6EBC0-EB06-418D-8DAD-6A562CC275EF.jpeg
BD5429A9-26D9-486E-939A-F04428351430.jpeg
ABC8681E-DE08-4B23-A554-5A1C716F12DC.jpeg
18E96FE9-4486-45A4-87FF-644EB83D4705.jpeg

It’s been a crazy journey! I’ve been on the island for two days now, but too sunburnt to shave yet. I’ll update as we go. The water here is super soft, so I hope that will help.View attachment 1270628View attachment 1270629View attachment 1270630View attachment 1270631

As far as “remote islands” go, you should be constrained to using one of these vintage Braun electric razors for the length of your saty! I think any of the moderators will second this.

464A80EA-9CFE-4D7F-AD47-7AB7AC14AB5F.jpeg

All jokes aside, this is gorgeous!

If you don’t mind my asking, what caused you to move to this godforsaken place?

Top Bottom