What's new

The Intercontinental All Italian Shave-Off

Jan 10: B&B Soap Theme - Expensive Soaps

Lather: Czech & Speake No.88
Brush: Italian Barber 2012 LE boar (custom 50mm loft and handle)
Razor: GEM 1912 "Damaskeene" (open comb)
Blade: GEM Stainless [4]
Splash: RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore

Ahhh ... Valobra ... Ahhh

Can't go wrong with this combo. Even my "picky" boar had no problem with the Valobra soap base. A 30 second load gave me exactly 4 passes with practically nothing left on the brush at the end. I wish Valobra would make scents this good in their normal line. I normally dislike rose scents, but this one and Ballenclaugh Hot Barrel Rose are the exceptions. Best description I can give is "dirty rose".

Two more expensive soap shaves on tap and I only have one expensive soap left (C&S Oxford and Cambridge). I'll have to dig into the sample pile to see if I have something that qualifies, otherwise it'll probably be SV Tundra Artica (which I don't consider an expensive soap).

Yesterday's GEM Jewel shave made me want to go back to SE razors for awhile, and today's shave with the open-comb Damaskeene was just as pleasant as yesterday. Like the Streamline/Jewel, this razor can be significantly improved (for me) with a lighter, normal length, hollow handle like I have on my Canadian ER 1914.

SOTD

Another great (60% :blink:) All Italian Shave. :biggrin1:

Prep: Splash of warm water on face
Brush: Omega 10015
Soap: Proraso Red Tube
Razor: Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant
Blade: Silver Star (14)

$SOTD-PBOCS_2016-12-30.jpg :001_wub:

That just finished my first tube of Proraso Red Soap (117 shaves). Fabulous stuff. Of course, I have a new tube on stand by.

Jan 12: B&B Soap Theme - Expensive Soaps

Lather: Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
Brush: Omega 40033 "Mighty Midget" (with O-Rings)
Razor: GEM 1912 "Damaskeene" w/hollow 3" handle (open comb)
Blade: GEM Stainless [6]
Splash: RazoRock The Stallion

Ahhh ... Valobra ... Ahhh

Went with another sometimes picky brush today and the Valobra soap base again showed its superiority. Just a quick thorough wetting of the brush (no soaking) and a 30 second load is all that was needed. This is probably the best soap base on the planets; thick, creamy, slick, protective and luxurious.

I switched it up today and used the standard length hollow handle off my Canadian ER 1914 on the Damaskeene instead of the stock stubby solid handle and I like it so much more. It makes the razor much lighter and better balanced for me. This is going to be a permanent substitution for me.

HI guys thank you all!
My wife is out from the hospital but still under strict control. Hopefully things will be better while staying at home.

SOTD 13 January 2017
Year 1 Week 24 Day 5

So great my favorite Outdoor shave with Stirling Ozark Mountain and a fresh Floid Blue plus the matching balm. Lovely

Pre: hot shower
Brush: Omega Proraso
Razor: Gillette Super Speed 72
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (4)
Soap: Stirling Ozark Mountain
Aftershave: Floid Blue/ Stirling Ozark Mountain Balm

proxy.php

Have a wonderful shave and a fresh day to all gents!

My wife is out from the hospital but still under strict control. Hopefully things will be better while staying at home.
It's good to see you back Stefano. Wishing your wife a speedy recovery. :001_smile

SOTD

Another fine (60% :blink:) All Italian Shave. :biggrin1:

Razor: Phoenix Bakelite
Blade: Silver Star (17)

$PBOCS+SilverStar_2016-12-30.jpg :001_wub:

Welcome back Stefano! Best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery!
Ozark Mtn is a wonderful scent :thumbup1:

Here's my shave for today:
Pre: hot bath cloth
Brush: Omega 40033
Soap: RR Tuscan Oud
Razor: NDC Super Speed
Blade: Bolzano (1)
Aftershave: Monsieur Figaro

I love Tuscan Oud, I wish Joe would restock the AS
$IMG_20170114_131758.jpg

SOTD

A great (60% :blink:) All Italian Shave. :biggrin1:

Blade: Silver Star (18)

$SOTD-PBOCS_2016-11-05.jpg :001_wub:

So much goodness guys!

SOTD 17 January 2017
Year 1 Week 25 Day 2

The solid and stunning reference shave with Saponificio Varesino always amaze me. Matched with a classic end shave.

Brush: Omega 6793 LE
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (12)
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Manna di Sicilia
Aftershave: Floid the Genuine Made in Italy / Saponificio Varesino Mango Butter

proxy.php

SOTD

Another fine (60% :blink:) All Italian Shave. :biggrin1:

Brush: Omega 10086
Blade: Silver Star (21)

$SOTD-PBOCS_2017-01-17.jpg :001_wub:

I'm celebrating my new bambino brush, a true detailing tool. :laugh:

I'm celebrating my new bambino brush, a true detailing tool
My Bambino brush is great. Small brushes let you apply lather with laser-like precision. Large brushes let you lather your cheek, ear and nose without moving the brush ;-)

I have the regular Bambino, but I should have bought the longer handled version you got. My handle is a bit too short.

Check out the Omega Mixed Midget and Simpson Wee Scot if you like small high-performance brushes.

My Bambino brush is great. Small brushes let you apply lather with laser-like precision. Large brushes let you lather your cheek, ear and nose without moving the brush ;-)
:laugh: Absolutely!

I have the regular Bambino, but I should have bought the longer handled version you got. My handle is a bit too short.
I found the slimness of the handle unusual to start with, but I didn't even notice it after about 30 seconds. And yes, the handle length is perfect too.
Go on, treat yourself. :biggrin1:

Check out the Omega Mixed Midget and Simpson Wee Scot if you like small high-performance brushes.
Since discovering boar, I'm not interested in badger any more (too floppy for me). I did my research and am really pleased with the "bigger bambino." I suspect it's going to be my only brush.

Ciao! I have been on a theme month in January. My SOTM does not vary so not much to highlight. My January SOTM is:

Brush: Badger & Blade (Omega) Essential Boar
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor: Co. Ci. Na. "Il Soldatino" Italian Army issue Tech-style 3-piece DE
Blade" Astra Superior Platinum

I am using the Il Soldatino in honor of Stefano. It is his birth month and he gifted me the razor. It is a rare little soldier and I enjoy the simplicity. I am a Gillette fiend and love all things vintage and am also a military buff so there is a lot of attachment for me. The Tech design is simplicity in form and function. I like the solid heavy feel and the mild shave. It handles any sharp blade with ease and the low profile head is a dream to navigate.

Since discovering boar, I'm not interested in badger any more (too floppy for me)
The Wee Scot, because of it's very low loft, is nowhere near floppy. It's actually got more backbone than the Bambino.

The Mixed Midget is a mix of pure badger and boar. The feeling is different than either a boar or a badger. It's not floppy, but it's not a backbone monster either. I bought it as a travel brush originally, but it quickly earned a spot in my regular rotation as the size is perfect for me.

Ciao! I have been on a theme month in January. My SOTM does not vary so not much to highlight. My January SOTM is:

Brush: Badger & Blade (Omega) Essential Boar
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor: Co. Ci. Na. "Il Soldatino" Italian Army issue Tech-style 3-piece DE
Blade" Astra Superior Platinum

I am using the Il Soldatino in honor of Stefano. It is his birth month and he gifted me the razor. It is a rare little soldier and I enjoy the simplicity. I am a Gillette fiend and love all things vintage and am also a military buff so there is a lot of attachment for me. The Tech design is simplicity in form and function. I like the solid heavy feel and the mild shave. It handles any sharp blade with ease and the low profile head is a dream to navigate.

Photo of that razor, yes?

mmmm I'm not for smaller knots...

well this is my SOTD

SOTD 18 January 2017
Year 1 Week 25 Day 3

A floral intense shave with TFS Zagara e Gelsomino. I love it for it's scent as for the nice performance especially the lather

Brush: Omega 102
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (3)
Soap: TFS Zagara e Gelsomino
Aftershave: Floid Blue / Saponificio Varesino Mango Butter

proxy.php

Have a wonderful shave and a fresh day to all gents!

Top Bottom