What's new

The DE Buyers Guide....

Im a newbie also and am now slightly confused as some people are reccomending an adjustable to start out as its possible to 'scale down' the severity of the shave-while others suggest the HD (what does this stand for-id appreciate a link to this razor) as one to start out with! Iv read alot of reviews at this stage and am very keen to make a purchase but i genuinely dont know which one to get! I have sensitive skin, ingrown hairs on the neck and particullary sensitive skin on my jaw bone. Again im completely new to the DE and will be coming off a Mach 3!

Im a newbie also and am now slightly confused as some people are reccomending an adjustable to start out as its possible to 'scale down' the severity of the shave-while others suggest the HD (what does this stand for-id appreciate a link to this razor) as one to start out with! Iv read alot of reviews at this stage and am very keen to make a purchase but i genuinely dont know which one to get! I have sensitive skin, ingrown hairs on the neck and particullary sensitive skin on my jaw bone. Again im completely new to the DE and will be coming off a Mach 3!

Welcome to the journey that will likely take you down the path to multiple razors, blades, creams, soaps, etc.... and turning the mundane act of shaving into something you look forward to.

As you've already found, there are two mindsets as to whether you should start with an adjustable or a non-adjustable. The adjustables will allow you to adjust the distance from the safety bar to the blade to increase or decrease the safety margin. The non-adjustables tend to be somewhere in the middle, generaly near the lower end, and some think you can learn your craft without the variables of adjusting the razor.

Which is correct? Probably both. The HD stands for heavy duty and Joel shows a picture of one in the start of this thread. It's pictured by itself under the first three razors. It has a fat, short handle that some love, some hate.

If I were going to recommend an adjustable to you, it would be the Progress. It's the mildest of the 3 adjustable Merkurs by far. My personal favorite non-adjustable is the long handle classic becuase I much prefer the handle length to that of the HD. Personal preferences.

The older Gillettes are nice adjustables that tend to run on the mild side so don't discount those either. Like most of us, you'll likely try several razors before you find what works best for you. Good luck.

Joel, another interesting review and of what I must say is a topic I'd never try to attack. I've been thinking a little lately about the Vision as the HD and Long Classic aren't big enough for me. Lately I've heard about QC issues with the Vision 2000 so I'm getting turned off fast. I thought I might find something nice for the rushed mornings, over a straight.

So, one, could you comment on these issues and two, I've owned the Futur and didn't like it. Heavy and impossible to get under my nose. Is the Vision anymore manageable?

I use Feather blades typically if it matters.

The Vision is bigger and heavier and clumsier than the Futur. I'm not sure how prevalent the QC issues are with the Vision. Mine took some adjusting, but now it's pretty good except for a slightly different blade gap on both sides. OTOH so do my two fatboys, it's just that their blade gap is so small to begin with that it's harder to tell visually, but it shows up in the shave. The Fatboys didn't cost $100 though (pre-fatboy-craze, I've heard they're pretty pricey nowadays).

One thing I like about the Vision that has gradually swayed me over to its side is the aural feedback, which is similar to a full hollow straight. I've gotten used to it with the straights and it feels kind of odd shaving with a Gillette since my usual feedback is missing.

Joe,

As much as I always value your input and opinion, this time I would disagree. Only for one reason. When learning wet shaving, technique is key. Keeping things the same is important.

Randy

Noted here as well. I started with a Future and just ended up confusing myself. If i started over again I would go non-adjustable HD. I have a regular classic now which I love....yes it's it light but my touch with razor is light as well and with a Feather....'nough said.

You should mention in your talk about adjustables that the best way to use them is to dial it up and down for different parts of your face.

heck, somewhere on this forum someone posted the original instructions that came with a gillette adjustable, and it says right in there to adjust to different numbers according to the sensitivity/areas of your face.

EG: 4 for your cheecks and jawline, 3 or 2 for your more sensitive neck areas

I'd like to see a guide like this for Gillettes.

Anyway joel just one thing:
Are you sure you didn't get the Futur and the Vision mixed up?
You said the handle is heavy and the head light. This is just not true. The head is heavier as the razor is perfectly balenced on the tapered area beneath the adjustment dial where you are supposed to hold it. I do not find it awkward nor has it ever slipped, and I have large hands.

As for
The blade loading and unloading mechanism is TERRIBLE, as it is cheap, and quite dangerous.
I don't see how it is any more dangerous than any other razor. If anything it is an advantage over TTO mechanisms as you don't have to worry about weather it is closed tightly enough. I would hardly call it cheap either. Nothing on the Futur feels cheap to me.

I know everyone's experience is unique and we all have our personal opinions on each razor but I just feel you are being overly critical of a fantastic razor which many have no issues with at all. However, you are full of praise for the Vision, a razor with a history of problems and which many people have had to return to Merkur for replacements.

Hello,

My first De razor was a Wilkinson classic DE back in 1992 then I choose to return to disposable razors for more than 10 years:cursing: :cursing: last november I discovered the real thing : Badger and blade and I decided to buy my first real DE : a merkur classic with Feathers. Then a 1949 SS, then a L type injector etc, etc.
I've got quiet a strong beard and I Think a classic Merkur is a good start (when I say classic I mean classic not the HD)
I think the more important thing is to be patient and relax when you first start with a DE. You have to take your time and you'll get great results.

rtaylor61 said:
Joe,

As much as I always value your input and opinion, this time I would disagree. Only for one reason. When learning wet shaving, technique is key. Keeping things the same is important.

Randy

Noted here as well. I started with a Future and just ended up confusing myself. If i started over again I would go non-adjustable HD. I have a regular classic now which I love....yes it's it light but my touch with razor is light as well and with a Feather....'nough said.
I agree that technique is prime and that consistency is great, but not if it's consistently bad.

You have to have the discipline not to play with the adjustable. By starting at something like a 2 setting you can concentrate on technique without the harshness that a fixed head Merkur can present to a newbie. Some guys have difficulty with that. In any case, it makes it easier to learn technique and develop consistency. Then you can crank up the exposure to get the closeness you want.

The Futur is not a good choice for a newbie, because it's harsh. I don't know what was so confusing. All you had to do was set it on 2 and forget about it. Maybe you couldn't resist playing with it.

woooooooah...That was only my opinion, and how i feel about starting out with an adjustable. I'm sorry if i came across with effect of "startign with an adjustable is inherently bad"...that wasn't my point.

Having options isn't bad, it just wasn't for me. Setting the Futur 2 wasn't that great, 3 was worse, and shaving on 1 took me forever. Add to that I had a sampler pack of blades (highly recommended) and what i ended up doing was trying to dial in each blade perfectly to my face, instead of focusing on technique.
Some people share my views, other's don't. I bought the Futur because of the 89235634756783265632465 and one good reviews i read about it, aotof them from people with sparse beards like mine.

"The Futur is not a good choice for a newbie, because it's harsh. I don't know what was so confusing. All you had to do was set it on 2 and forget about it. Maybe you couldn't resist playing with it.-Joe Lerch"

This razor proved to be very harsh on me, hence why i played with it so much....to try and make it unharsh. Lesson learned for me.

Due to this personal experience of mine, I have started to ponder the world of straights, thinking that If all i need is one blade and something to hold it to get a great shave...you can't get much more basic than a straight.

I hope that clarifys, my stance on the whole "starting with adjustables or fixed" issue.

The bottom line is there are just one too many beards in this forum for any one opinion to be right.

woooooooah...That was only my opinion, and how i feel about starting out with an adjustable. I'm sorry if i came across with effect of "startign with an adjustable is inherently bad"...that wasn't my point.

Having options isn't bad, it just wasn't for me. Setting the Futur 2 wasn't that great, 3 was worse, and shaving on 1 took me forever. Add to that I had a sampler pack of blades (highly recommended) and what i ended up doing was trying to dial in each blade perfectly to my face, instead of focusing on technique.
Some people share my views, other's don't. I bought the Futur because of the 89235634756783265632465 and one good reviews i read about it, aotof them from people with sparse beards like mine.

"The Futur is not a good choice for a newbie, because it's harsh. I don't know what was so confusing. All you had to do was set it on 2 and forget about it. Maybe you couldn't resist playing with it.-Joe Lerch"

This razor proved to be very harsh on me, hence why i played with it so much....to try and make it unharsh. Lesson learned for me.

Due to this personal experience of mine, I have started to ponder the world of straights, thinking that If all i need is one blade and something to hold it to get a great shave...you can't get much more basic than a straight.

I hope that clarifys, my stance on the whole "starting with adjustables or fixed" issue.

The bottom line is there are just one too many beards in this forum for any one opinion to be right.

Only one? :biggrin: There are as many opinions on this board as there are members. Some sing the praises of a "you name the product", while others wrinkle their noses at it. What you really get is "This is what works for me and what I like based on my technique, and personal preferences." We just need to remember there is no "right" when it comes to products. The exception would be fundamentals such as good prep, not using too much pressure, etc.

Oh, yeah, and the long handle classic is the BEST razor EVER!!:wink1:

A few fellas had asked about this post and wanted me to bring it back up from the grave. :smile:

I'll kick it off.

Tip O'neill once said that you're entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. Sometimes we're not clear where we end one and start the other.

If I tell you that I like the Vision because it has close tracking, that's an observation and a resulting opinion. The observation is a fact.

Getting back to the subject of razors, I just got the new Merkur, what is it 38c or something like that. It fills a need. It's a large, hefty razor with a normal head. Those of us with large hands finally have something that feels comfortable and doesn't cost a fortune. It seems to handle very much like the Vision, but you don't have the large head that so many guys complain about.

The handling of the Futur has been somewhat problematic, because its geometry results in an unusually large flattest blade angle, which rresults in a bit of harshness, especially at settings above 3 (not so if you use Feather blades).

For me, that comfort factor of the new razor was a big improvement on a fixed exposure razor, because I always found them too small and too light. So far, I've only used it with the Merkur blades that came as a gift with it. The proof of the pudding will be when I use a Feather. Then I'll have a comparison on an even playing field.

I am new to the Badger & Blade. I currently use an cartridge razor and want to change. I like the idea of the DE, so I really appreciated this posting. The Merkur Classic HD looks like it is worth a try.

thanks

What I don't get, and hopefully someone here can straighten me out, is how much complaining there is about how slippery the Futur is, but the Vision has the *exact* same finish and nobody says anything about it.

What gives?

What I don't get, and hopefully someone here can straighten me out, is how much complaining there is about how slippery the Futur is, but the Vision has the *exact* same finish and nobody says anything about it.

What gives?

I say this in an non-condescending manner - but have you ever seen/held a vision?

While it has the "same" finish, the balance is much different, and most important - the razor has "grip" by having the top knob (adjustment) as well as the bottom knob (silo door knob) creates an "I" shape versus the "l" shape of the futur. Major, major difference.

I say this in an non-condescending manner - but have you ever seen/held a vision?

While it has the "same" finish, the balance is much different, and most important - the razor has "grip" by having the top knob (adjustment) as well as the bottom knob (silo door knob) creates an "I" shape versus the "l" shape of the futur. Major, major difference.

Interesting. No, I've not held a vision, just a Futur. That makes sense though.

Different as day and night for me. I used my Futur for only a short time and sold it. It just didn't work for me for several reasons. I didn't like the balance, the way the blades load, or the way you have to adjust it.

The Vision on the other hand, is my favorite razor out of the 20+ razors I own. It just seems like an extension of my hand and the balance couldn't be better. It's heavy, but the balance seems to negate the weight. And, with a Feather blade, provides the closest shave I can achieve with any other razor/blade combination.

Top Bottom