What's new

The DE Buyers Guide....

A really great post, this is so much more helpful then the sellers of razors. Thank you for the work to put it out.

I bought one of those Murk classics and I really like it. It was my first DE so I don't have alot to compare with but I get a nice shave and haven't done any damage yet. Shave On, Mike

I really enjoyed this post Joel. It was interesting to read someone's elucidation about the nuances between all the different razors.

I was very lucky when I bought my first razor a few months ago. Having thought I had done enough research to figure out that Merkur was the best maker of DE safety razors in the market today, I selected my razor based on price. The HD 34C turned out to be a perfect choice. But it was one made by someone entirely ignorant at the time.

Now I'm just slightly a little less ignorant. But I started looking at all the vintage Gillette models available. Again, I really lucked out with a ball end Old Type that I picked up for a reasonable price. I feel like using an open comb forced me to really pay attention to technique. My limited experience (not even a year into traditional wet shaving) is that when my technique is spot on, I get terrific shaves. If I don't concentrate and just whip through it, the experience is somewhat different.

So I won't bug you Joel about Gillettes, since you have already stated you don't care for them, but I'd love it if one of the moderators or contributors could work up a similar post about all the different vintage Gillette models. I'd especially be interested to know folks' feelings about TTO vs pre-TTO.

Also, Joel, I'd appreciate learning a bit more about the slanted head Merkur. It seems so counter-intuitive to see a head like that on a razor. The mechanics of how that works are intriguing to me.

Once again, thanks for a highly informative post--and I really look forward to a similar one from someone with experience on the Gillette vintage models.

H

Harshaw

Hello,

This is my first post, so I hope you'll excuse me if this question has been answered before. I'm 24 and capable of growing a full beard. However, my facial hair is not very coarse, and an electric razor passes over large patches without shaving closely. My one experience with a straight razor barbershop shave resulted in a badly cut-up face, presumably for the same reason (or a myopic barber).

I received a Merkur safety razor as a gift, and have been enjoying it more than any Gillette cartridge razor. However, it's a model with a "comb" under the blade, which I've read is specifically intended for coarse, difficult beards. I'm not completely free of the razor burn and irritation I'd get about 36 hours after a Gillette shave.

I'd like to buy the right razor. Any advice is very welcome.

Thanks!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Hello,

This is my first post, so I hope you'll excuse me if this question has been answered before. I'm 24 and capable of growing a full beard. However, my facial hair is not very coarse, and an electric razor passes over large patches without shaving closely. My one experience with a straight razor barbershop shave resulted in a badly cut-up face, presumably for the same reason (or a myopic barber).

I received a Merkur safety razor as a gift, and have been enjoying it more than any Gillette cartridge razor. However, it's a model with a "comb" under the blade, which I've read is specifically intended for coarse, difficult beards. I'm not completely free of the razor burn and irritation I'd get about 36 hours after a Gillette shave.

I'd like to buy the right razor. Any advice is very welcome.

Thanks!

Welcome to B&B!

I would first advise to keep the same razor. You probably have the 11c? Did you try a razor blade sample pack? The pressure is one of the key elements in razor burn/irritation, it should be none.

Also, what do you use as a lather? Canned, soap, brush, etc.

I would advise to start with this page: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Getting_started_wetshaving

Also, please post a thread in the Check-in Shave Clinic section of the forum. You will get help for sure! :thumbup1:

Y

Yutaka

I am looking for a good baby face smooth shave with very little irritation. I have only used cartridge razors or an electric shaver to this point. After all my reading a nonadjustable sounds like the way I want to go. But am not firmly set on it. Is the HD still what you would recommend? Please give me all the advice you've got. I'm open and am looking for my first DE. Please help me!!

Thanks for the guide. I've been thinking about investing in a DE for months. I love my straights, but I've been wanting something that requires less prep and a DE seems perfect. As a result of the reviews (and some digging on Amazon) I jumped in and ordered a Merkur 180 and a blade sampler from shaveplace.

I am looking for a good baby face smooth shave with very little irritation. I have only used cartridge razors or an electric shaver to this point. After all my reading a nonadjustable sounds like the way I want to go. But am not firmly set on it. Is the HD still what you would recommend? Please give me all the advice you've got. I'm open and am looking for my first DE. Please help me!!

IMO, there is no other razor I will recommend to newcomers than the Edwin Jagger 89 series razor. Ive tried almost all the different merkurs out there.

Do yourself a favor and purchase either an EJ-89 or 89L. (89L is the same exact razor, only w/ a lined handle for grip). I own the EJ-89L, and it is an outstanding performing razor, and one of the best looking razors out there too. It's a cant miss razor, you will not regret that purchase at all. :thumbup1::thumbup1:

New to B&B and glad to be in such informed company. I've been a wetshaver for about five years and like a lot of guys, bought the Futur 'cause it looked so darn cool. Heck, I went he whole matching bowl-stand-brush route. But as my RAD developed to early addiction levels I added a long handle Merkur 180, a fatboy HD with a gold/quartz handle (beauty!), and the most recent (and the one that started to raise the wife's eybrows) an EJ89. The point of the rambling is that my Futur is still the go-to choice for me when I want flat out baby-butt cheeks and comfort. I'll admit, the snap-on blade cap puzzles and concerns me but it has never loosened up nor failed me yet. I don't know why, but I'm going to chalk it up to German mad scientist mojo.:sneaky2:
Risking early spousal termination, I've been eye balling the Vision for a long time. Your write up didn't help dissuade me either.:biggrin1: Is the Vision really worth the investment dollars over the Futur? I'd aqppreciate your opinion, and thank you for a great informative write-up!

For those coming here from Google, a new Buyer's Guide was also recently added to the Wiki:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Modern_Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness

Contents:

1. Buyer's Guide for Currently-Manufactured DE (Safety) Razors, Ranked by User-Polled Aggressiveness including details for each razor head on:
    • details of head construction and materials
    • relative price index
    • assembly (TTO, 2-piece, 3-piece)
    • country of origin
  2. Razor Brand/Manufacturer Star-Rating Survey Results
  3. Frequently Asked Questions
    • 3.1 What kind of razors are listed here?
    • 3.2 How do you use a DE razor?
    • 3.3 Won’t I cut myself to shreds with this old-style of razor?
    • 3.4 What safety DE razor should I buy?
    • 3.5 What is razor “aggressiveness”?
    • 3.6 What creates “aggressiveness”?
    • 3.7 What aggression level should I get for my first DE razor?
    • 3.8 Isn't the mildest razor always going to be the best?
    • 3.9 Why not jump right to the most aggressive razor?
    • 3.10 Are the relative aggressiveness rankings scientifically accurate?
    • 3.11 What are the key differences in razor head constructions?
    • 3.12 Should I get a Twist to Open (TTO), 2-piece, or 3-piece razor?
    • 3.13 Limitations of ranking this list included
  4. Companion Polls used towards calculating rankings
    • 4.1 Upcoming polls
    • 4.2 Closed polls
  5. Research links
    • 5.1 Other links
  6. See also

Last edited:
Top Bottom