What's new

The Dark Side of Corn Huskers Lotion

I just dumped my Corn Huskers Lotion in the trash.
There is nothing organic about Corn Huskers. The biggest danger is the the large amount of methylparaban. It is the substance that made a fortune for Estee Lauder by making preservative free cosmetics. Cheap cosmetics have large amounts of it also and are responsible for the rosy cheeks that develop after you are sensitized to it. Skin is great for making you allergic to substances in life.
Another problem is that once you are allergic to it, you will develop a cross reaction to paba and benzoic acid structures. Multi-dose vials of medications contain this as a preservative and people that list multiple allergies are not actully allergic to the medication but to the preservative.

Here are the ingrediaents
Water, Glycerin, (Moisturizer) SD Alcohol 40, (Solvent) basically vodka

Sodium Calcium Alginate, viscous gum that is abundant in the cell walls of brown algae. It ranges from white to yellowish-brown, and takes filamentous, granular and powdered forms used for thickening

Oleyl fatty alcohol coming from inedible beef fat thickener

Sarcosin, crystalline nitrogenous substance, formed in the decomposition of creatin

Methylparaben, synthetic preservatives are used in 99% of the skin and hair products made today. Highly toxic and cause allergic/skin reactions. Recent medical studies indicate these chemicals are estrogenic. This means they mimic estrogen in the body with butylparaban being the most potent

Guar Gum, another thickening agent

Triethanolamine, pH balancer in cosmetic preparations in a variety of different products

Calcium Sulfate, Fragrance, Calcium Chloride,
Fumaric Acid, Boric Acid, pH adjustment

It's troubling to me that the OP seems to have not posted in quite some time. :em19:

The early discussion in this thread got me wondering... Has anyone tried bacon grease for an AS balm? My skin is somewhat oily, so it wouldn't be for me, but for those of us with dry skin, it seems like a great fit. Natural, organic, renewable, and has proven pheromone-like properties. It's a win-win-win-win!

It is a shame STM(1) didn't stick around. I'm sure he could have contributed to some playful banter here. Or at least he could have attracted it.

What it needs is "witch hazel". That would make its healing properties complete.
The original 1930s corn huskers - which I've made at home a few time - had Witch Hazel, Bay Rum, Glycerine, Camphor and a very weak Ammonia. Maybe WH added to the current shelf version would be good. I suspect it's the methyl-parabens that are making it disappear from local stores.

Well, at least it has glycerin in it. That is an ingredient I look for in every AS I use. No "glycerin", no way. It's a must have ingredient for me, much as alcohol is.

I don't use products with Glycerin because It is a humectent and in cold dry winters in New England There is no water in in our air so It can steal water from our skin.

I just dumped my Corn Huskers Lotion in the trash.
There is nothing organic about Corn Huskers. The biggest danger is the the large amount of methylparaban. It is the substance that made a fortune for Estee Lauder by making preservative free cosmetics. Cheap cosmetics have large amounts of it also and are responsible for the rosy cheeks that develop after you are sensitized to it. Skin is great for making you allergic to substances in life.
Another problem is that once you are allergic to it, you will develop a cross reaction to paba and benzoic acid structures. Multi-dose vials of medications contain this as a preservative and people that list multiple allergies are not actully allergic to the medication but to the preservative.

Here are the ingrediaents
Water, Glycerin, (Moisturizer) SD Alcohol 40, (Solvent) basically vodka

Sodium Calcium Alginate, viscous gum that is abundant in the cell walls of brown algae. It ranges from white to yellowish-brown, and takes filamentous, granular and powdered forms used for thickening

Oleyl fatty alcohol coming from inedible beef fat thickener

Sarcosin, crystalline nitrogenous substance, formed in the decomposition of creatin

Methylparaben, synthetic preservatives are used in 99% of the skin and hair products made today. Highly toxic and cause allergic/skin reactions. Recent medical studies indicate these chemicals are estrogenic. This means they mimic estrogen in the body with butylparaban being the most potent

Guar Gum, another thickening agent

Triethanolamine, pH balancer in cosmetic preparations in a variety of different products

Calcium Sulfate, Fragrance, Calcium Chloride,
Fumaric Acid, Boric Acid, pH adjustment

Frank, You need a vacation.

He's currently lobbying congress to get the terms 'Witch Hazel' and 'witch hazel' their own multiagency taskforce for the enforcement of purity laws.
Another classic! He knew his cosmetics. I keep waiting for Thayers With Hazel to change their name!

Does anyone use Corn Huskers Lotion on their hands instead of on the face? It works really well for my dry hands in the cooler, lower humidity months around here. I have yet to use it on my face.

Does anyone use Corn Huskers Lotion on their hands instead of on the face? It works really well for my dry hands in the cooler, lower humidity months around here. I have yet to use it on my face.

I've used it on my hands.

Please let us know how it works on your face and neck! :001_rolle

Top Bottom