What's new

The Daily Double

Henkotsu kami doubles:
129CD0C6-84BA-4BE8-BCA1-7B3605350390.jpeg

Got in one with a Schick E, variant 5 / Gillette Platinum Plus; and another today with my very pretty common bar New LC and a Rapira Platinum Lux. I continue to fear the toe of this kami.

Hey @Ron R ! Three months later, I am only 8 shaves into using the Lupo DC. Most of them used a Kai blade, which might be overkill for the Lupo DC. I need to shave carefully with the Kai to avoid nicks (or annoying near nicks) from the blade corners.

I never use the head with a RazoRock handle; shorter, skinnier, and lighter for me. I mainly think about the Lupo DC in contrast to other modern DEs: my GC-OC84, GC-JAWS .84, ATT R2, and my brass Karve CB.

Things I like about this razor, beyond the usual advantages of RazoRock CNC designs:
> There is a useful contrast between the two easily-identified sides. SB gets closer in a single pass and is more precise for detailing with the edge parallel to the hairline. OC is better for shaving the large areas quickly and easily. My other dual comb is a Fendrihan. It shaves well, but the two sides delivered much the same shave character.
> I like the notched corners on the head. Unfortunately, I think the notches are cut too flush with the blade corners (especially for Kais). An extra .5 mm of steel would be nicely protective without taking away from the precision of following beard lines or face contours.
> The blade alignment fins are on the cap, not the plate. Loading is easier/more familiar than the Gamechanger posts on the plate approach. Or the tiny ATT pins.
> OC teeth are more comfortable than the Gamechangers and the ATT R2.

I continue to fear the toe of this kami.

So today, I muted it with a small trans ark I've had since Boy Scout days. The fear is gone, along with the random nicks.
B4F4954D-ACAA-4984-ACE4-E9FFE21A6891.jpeg

The Henkotsu hit the details. The Carre harvested the broad swaths. I fine tuned them both with the balsa progression and stropped on Kanayama Llama linen and shell. Arko and a homemade boar.

Double with my new-to-me beat up/giant dubl duck boar brush, servicing a Fromm redHead and a Made in England 1912 Ever-Ready with RazoRock lime lather:
EEFCD2DC-384C-44A8-B937-642400CA602F.jpeg

The Fromm is hyper sharp. Of course, a Gem PTFE practically defines hyper sharp. The brush is 170mm long (5 1/2"), with 62mm of loft. Finally a brush that reaches all the way across my copper Captain's Choice bowl. This dubl duck can really slap the lather around.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, May17th, 2021, Daily Double! Gem Micromatic VS (New)Yaqi Excalibur shaving 1/2 face (Left side with Gem), both razors IMO are excellent daily drivers + also <midrange & give similar results. I gave the Gem Micromatic the tougher beard side because I know this razor well and just with feel testing the results were excellent with similar feels of both razors final results.
The Gem is easier to load imo and the Yaqi is doable but a little more fidgeting with the tiny thinner blade.
The Micromatic is at least 3 times the weight and built to last while the Yaqi has no brass in the head(Zamac) with a Aluminum handle with this model. Both razors are a joy to use and the Gem would be least expensive to operate over time with blade costs per 100pcs IMO. Both razors have no blade tabs exposed, another positive.
This confirms my belief that the Gem Personna blades are just as sharp as the Feather blades & has a great proven record for longevity + both blades are excellent in proven sharpness IMO. Yaqi also makes a Excalibur model with a brass handle if you like weight or just use a stainless handle like some folks have done if you like heft. I like this Yaqi handle feel so it will stay for now.

Razor: Gem MicroMatic Flying wing SE - Mfg 1947-50, excellent mid range, great daily driver, built well, easy to load blade.
Razor: Yaqi Excalibur SE- Mfg 2021> excellent mid range, great daily driver, harder to load, great feel to this razor IMO.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(4), excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
Blade: Feather Professional AC 50mm(3), excellent blade, very sharp, smooth& sharp, longevity?.
Soap: Razorock Blue barber, nice scent + excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Atlantis 24mm- excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great backbone for scrubbing + excellent painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rise after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Blue barber with witch hazel+ a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results Gem F.W: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:excellent shave with my Micromatic Flying wing.
Results Yaqi Excalibur: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:excellent shave with my Yaqi Excalibur.

MMMonday, May17th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Unintentional Daily Double today.
PXL_20210519_172618356-01.jpeg

Torrey Gibraltar / Gillette Old Type (Astra SP)
MdC, Fougere
Rick Montalvo
Hazlett's Apothecary, 1888

The plan was to use the Torrey again today. But when I got to the ATG pass, my right hand was trembling to the point that I didn't feel safe. Switched to the Old Type for ATG all over and an extra ATG pass on my neck. Almost as smooth a the straight, but it doesn't last as long.

The Herbrand has its first outing:
01A7F375-F234-4CCF-B5C2-395093D4B4E3.jpeg

C076DC68-EA8C-46BC-B59F-C4335FEC9191.jpeg

The Herbrand is working well after I finally got it out of the restoration queue. Patina respecting 'polish', scales washed up a bit, hinge pin tightened, full bevel set and honing/stropping. With the thorough prep and the excellent M&M Ouroboros croap, I quite enjoyed this first shave. The PAA copper Ascension did only a very slight sideways neck whorl touch up.

Lots of double shaves, as always these days, this one was particularly joyful:
Rigarazor + PAA copper Ascension/Kai (12)
Sanax boar - lonesome
Col Conk Lime prep + Lea Mentolada lather
Alum + Richard's Rub + Florida Limeade after

ABA26511-9C30-475A-94A8-A0CDD1991AAB.jpeg

Heck, I'll post a excellent Sunday double. The plan for a Micromatic Monday double has been back burnered.
50573B58-FB4C-4658-A3DC-87DD72F1DF18.jpeg

Double list:
Portland Razor Co The Gustave 7/8 + Fatip OC slant
Col Conk Lime + RazoRock Black Label soap sticks
Richard's Rub + 4Rum badger blends
Stag line:
Tony Miller strop - linen/roughout horsehide
Opal re-knotted boar - scrubby
Gillette Silver Blue - shave 7, on the shelf with its twin since side-by-side razor tests last October

PXL_20210621_150927977-01.jpeg

GEM Bullet Tip / GEM Personna SS PTFE
Joseph Rodgers & Sons, Celebrated India Steel
Arko
Rick Montalvo
Pinaud Clubman

Shave test for the Rodgers after a quick refresh on the Les Lat. A smooth, smooth first pass.

The Bullet Tip (Micromatic Monday) finished things off XTG and ATG for a beautiful BBS finish.

Double Lime today. I thought I would compare the old Conk Lime to the 'zesty clean' re-formulation. Of course, the older version was zesty and clean, too. I can smell a difference, but I don't have the fragrance vocabulary to describe it.
09BBC49E-228F-430E-AF7D-D7D3065663E3.jpeg

Henkotsu kamisori
Schick G5 / Personna 2
the Conks and two Omega 10065 boars
alum and Florida Limeade

Robeson ShurEdge + MinGoose/Schick B (13)
BDD13799-F9F4-4CBF-9E81-1FE0B59847FF.jpeg

A top notch shave. The arrival of an excellent synthetic bevel setting hone solved the puzzle of restoring this edge.

Worked in three razors in a red/white/blue fest.

the main event, Blue Steel by R.Bannier, Norfolk, Va
7DC69A9F-F308-4738-835E-61B8EE017816.jpeg

blue "USN" Schick G for clean up
10762D74-0A1F-401F-AA23-D0F2C74257B0.jpeg

E-R Shovelhead/PAL Blue Carbon for the back of the neck
88A00C35-F086-4B8F-9B50-053462AEE1D6.jpeg

Top Bottom