What's new

The Daily Double

The Daily Double
View attachment 1161025
Pre-shave: Pinaud Clubman Shave Oil
Razor (ATG, XTG): @Blackland Razors Vector
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional Super (3)
Razor (WTG): Feather SS Artist Club Japanese Straight
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard (6)
Brush: @Graydog Backyard Maple (TNS 26mm Full Moon)
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Old Spice

Post-shave skin care:
View attachment 1161026

WTG, ATG, XTG. Minor touch-up.

DFS+ with one small weeper.

Beautiful, relaxing Sunday shave! :)
@never-stop-learning, a 1M$ Q for you - which one shaves better?

Let me irritate that - which one would you take on a desert island, if you could only take one?

I've been shaving with the AC SS for sometime now and love it, wondering about the Vector though... stipulating on how it shaves, whether to order it, so any/every comment, info, advice is highly appreciated.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@never-stop-learning, a 1M$ Q for you - which one shaves better?

Let me irritate that - which one would you take on a desert island, if you could only take one?

I've been shaving with the AC SS for sometime now and love it, wondering about the Vector though... stipulating on how it shaves, whether to order it, so any/every comment, info, advice is highly appreciated.

My current level of skill with the Feather is not very good. Plus some old motorcycle wrecks have created dexterity challenges in my hands so my learning curve will probably be longer. I have a lot of fun with the Feather, but still need a second razor for the "difficult" areas of my face.

Today, the Vector is easier for me to use and provides a complete shaving experience on its own.

The Vector and the Colonial General are my two favorite AC blade safety razors. Slight nod to the Vector due to how nimble it shaves.

Hope this helps.

My current level of skill with the Feather is not very good. Plus some old motorcycle wrecks have created dexterity challenges in my hands so my learning curve will probably be longer. I have a lot of fun with the Feather, but still need a second razor for the "difficult" areas of my face.

Today, the Vector is easier for me to use and provides a complete shaving experience on its own.

The Vector and the Colonial General are my two favorite AC blade safety razors. Slight nod to the Vector due to how nimble it shaves.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, it does help indeed. I like the "nimble shave" when using a non-SR.

DD more SR edge tests plus OCtober

It's a crowd scene!
89451B91-87C4-45B6-82A2-41C6C326C918.jpeg

Prep: Col Conk mentholated Amber / Semogue Owner Club in cherry
Right side: 9/16 Sperry&Alexander Co. New York MANGANESE
Left side: 4/8 Nash Hardware Co, Ft. Worth, Tex. 25 The Hodgson Razor
Cleanup: Leresche 35 / Rapira Swedish Supersteel (3)
Lather: Tabac / Omega 10005 face/bowl hybrid
After: badger blends> Richard's Rub then AV-Osage Rub, a great flaming cool down

I have another ten side-by-side ugly SR blind edge test shaves scheduled in this series. Busy, busy, busy...

Last edited:
All quiet on the thread...

Three razors today:
>Valet AutoStrop VB1, still on its first de-spined Gem
>Valet AutoStrop VC1, just received its first de-spined Gem
>Mingoose, arrived yesterday and snuck into today's shave when the VC1 went on strike. Personna injector (1)

VB1 blade gap:
20CE64AF-D28E-4775-B6A4-B021CB38C813.jpeg

VC1 negative blade gap (hidden edge):
4B2197DC-CA66-47F4-9853-B8A9824FC26A.jpeg

Even heavy pressure would not engage the VC1 with my stubble. Everything I tried to do with it had to be re-done by the VB1.

The Mingoose is aggressive, but can be tamed, I think.

Razors:
49B98131-9362-4408-A8D7-C064B709730B.jpeg

And head detail:
650840E7-F044-46EA-A1E7-1805AAC549FD.jpeg

DD - the full story

OCtober and new non-OC razors have made for a number of doubles and triples this month. The new to me MinGoose just refuses to be left out while I am in town/at home.

E325AA8C-4466-4408-96BA-ED86EEEE614D.jpeg

The MinGoose does not have a stellar reputation. I want to nickname it MinG the Merciless, but it is more forgiving at straight up and down shaving than that moniker implies. It is aggressive as well as very efficient, but can be tamed north to south.

The only design defect in my eyes is the width of the head, which IMHO is too close to the width of the injector blade. The exposed blade corners make it hard to do the east/west sideways work needed to fully touch up my neck.

The corners of the well-gapped blade just want to dig in and help. An extra millimeter on each side of the head and a little curve to the sharp corners of the cap would probably do the trick. But I doubt there will be a MinG Mk2.

The more rounded corners of the Schick Proline B-20 might resolve the issue. I intend to find out soon.

Injector alphabetic double - side by side

>Schick J1 / Personna (3)
>Schick G amber / Personna (1)
>Col Conk Lime stick / Omega 10065 for prep
>Tabac stick / custom olive wood boar for the shave
>Richard's Rub and Clubman after

A48EC59B-CAF0-4805-87E2-0249FDE6B692.jpeg

Good solid shave, the J exceeded expectations by matching the G closely. I used my experimentally hammered stainless prep bowl to make a very wet lather for the top layer.

Photos to show how much I need to figure out in order to get a good looking hammering:
F91A839A-A29D-4206-9F02-55762CD80391.jpegC4C5A034-077C-4107-85D1-FEBE3E8E5AF1.jpeg

Another side-by-side, my first use of shims.

Right side: El Fantasma (ElF) P1 Kai, P2&cleanup Bic CP
Left side: slantified Tech, P1 Bic CP, P2&cleanup Kai
Kai on 4, Bic on 7
Überlathered Col Conk Lime + Tabac - excellent!
Reknotted vintage boar
Alum, Richard's Rub, Adidas Dynamic Pulse

F7F12A00-825E-4629-BF19-9E66B3CAA235.jpeg

I have been pretty disappointed with the ElF's ineffectiveness. The shim and Kai combo really pep it up. The sTech is a similar story, though it never shaved as weakly as the ElF. It the event, this was a very comfortable but very close shave.

I'm not enamored of the whole shimming idea, but I've made myself a stack of shims. I'm sure I'll get some further use out of them. Shimming sure worked this time.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Single Edge Sunday
The Daily Double
shave 20201115_095817_2.jpg

:001_wub:
Razor: Feather SS Artist Club Japanese Straight (1st two passes)
Blade: Feather Artist Club Proguard (1)
Razor: @Blackland Razors Vector OC (3rd pass + touch-up)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (1)
Brush: @Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Contributors Handle (TNS 24mm BOSS v1)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Vitos Extra Super Coco
Post-shave care: Barbero Alum Block
Post-shave care: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave/Fragrance: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum Aftershave Cologne

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Outstanding shave! :)

Shimming again

Pass 1 - PBOCS / Bic Chrome Platinum (8) with a narrow shim above the blade
Pass 2 and clean up - M Adjustable by Schick / Personna (1)
Old Spice grated into a stick, Solid Set boar

CD353C97-154C-4AFD-B8DC-645183134935.jpeg

The top shim on the PBOCS tamed it. Period.

I just cannot get the shave I want out of this Schick. After pass 2 on '3' and attempted cleanup on '5' I finished the shave by calling back the PBOCS. And the Bic CP did a better job than the fresh Personna, even though it was headed for the bin.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
N.O.vember 2020 #7
The Daily Double
20201115_193858~2.jpg

:001_wub:
Razor: Feather SS Artist Club Japanese Straight (1st two passes)
Blade: Feather Artist Club Proguard (2)
Razor: @Blackland Razors Vector OC (3rd pass + touch-up)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (2)
Brush: Maggard Sandy Pearl handle (Maggard 26mm Timberwolf)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Noble Otter Flying Hide (sample)
Post-shave care: Barbero Alum Block
Post-shave care: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave/Fragrance: @OkieStubble Bootlegger's El Dorado

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Wonderful shave! :)

New Year, new double, four mentholated products

I have been shaving some doubles, but failing to post them here. This one features my Christmas present Oneblade (third use) side-by-side with my 'new to me' Schick I2 Hydro-magic (second use).

Blades: Feather FHS (3) v Personna (2)
Lather: not really, Cremo Cooling for lubrication
After: Richard's Rub badger blend, B&M Terror balm, and a Stirling witch hazel toner blend, for yet more menthol and the vetiver scent I've been craving

0B568248-96F2-429D-84BC-5518253FE91B.jpeg

Solid, fast DFS. The Oneblade actually out-performed the Schick on the worst trouble spot. Plans for testing Cremo vs Barbasol 1919 is why the Cremo is no longer cooling its heels in the refrigerator.

DD Straight double, chill factor chaser...

SR: Dovo Carre shoulderless, thumb notch 6/8
'Injector': MinGoose, Schick B (10), rusdrunkbear handle
BrushLess, LatherLess creams: Barbasol 1919, Cremo Cooling
Balm (sic): B&M Terror
Splash: badger blend bay rum Captain's Choice + VIBR
Balm repair: Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
0B5AF86B-F775-40CB-80B3-E1E090E320B1.jpeg

Lower end DFS - BLLL cream in slick hand style is highly inconvenient for an SR shave. This new Carre is an easy shaver, however. Loving this style of blank/grind.

I q-tipped a hefty dose of Terror on my neck, just for the chill factor. The balm was so irritating in that quantity that I hosed my neck down with Lucky Tiger 15 minutes later!

DD Straight double, chill factor chaser...

SR: Dovo Carre shoulderless, thumb notch 6/8
'Injector': MinGoose, Schick B (10), rusdrunkbear handle
BrushLess, LatherLess creams: Barbasol 1919, Cremo Cooling
Balm (sic): B&M Terror
Splash: badger blend bay rum Captain's Choice + VIBR
Balm repair: Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
View attachment 1205044
Lower end DFS - BLLL cream in slick hand style is highly inconvenient for an SR shave. This new Carre is an easy shaver, however. Loving this style of blank/grind.

I q-tipped a hefty dose of Terror on my neck, just for the chill factor. The balm was so irritating in that quantity that I hosed my neck down with Lucky Tiger 15 minutes later!

That's a beautiful razor.

I had a fantastic shave with 2 new to me razors yesterday but was having internet issues so I didn't get around to posting it till now.
I used a 5th use Gem SS PTFE in both razors.
Razor #1 Gem Damaskeen OC. WOW this razor is wonderful. Very Efficient and still very smooth. Several days growth were knocked down to SAS on the first pass were I used the OC Dammy. I did another pass and a half to get a very close shave.
Razor #2 was used a little here and there to try it out and it did not disappoint. I'll have to do a full shave with it soon. On initial use it seems very efficient and smooth but not quite as efficient as the OC Dammy.
I did get a little irritation on the sides of my Adams apple were the skin was already not exactly happy. However for me that has been par for the with any razor I've used when going for a very close shave.

20210107_172201~2.jpg

Triple. Mainly the SR, but I had the time to compare detailing performance of the MinGoose and my new Schick I2. Hey, I pulled out my Arko stick and wanted to enjoy it as long as possible today.

Icy tube of Col Conk to prep, then Arko face/whipped with the black walnut/bleached TGN boar knot, then Wade&Butcher chopper for two laps, then the injector blade side-by-side - MinGoose+Schick B vs Schick I2+Personna, then wash it down.
B3E3AC54-E1E5-4F0A-836D-C372D405BD7D.jpeg

F8869DB4-75B6-41FC-806E-891006DBAE69.jpeg

Fast Sunday hybrid double:
648A9096-2EA6-40C5-BBA6-FDD7CE7EC72B.jpeg

Brit Wilkinson (6) in the RR Stealth head/PAA handle hybrid. Accidentally bottom shimmed Kai (7) in the @Rosseforp handled Karve OC-C. The Stealth may not be much of a detail razor, but it will deliver a fast and very effective shave when dinner is about to be served.

Top Bottom