What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

Some may recall some pages back, during the early War years, a commentary about alternative pipe materials as traditional Mediterranean briar sources became unavailable. Some alternatives, such as Breezewood pipes made from mountain laurel, did not fare well. Another of the alternatives mentioned was California briar, marketed as “Mission Briar”, into which several pipe manufacturers invested.

Here’s a later ad promoting the fruits of that wartime investment.

46-4-15.2.jpg

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
The Bourbon Trail is an awesome experience. Makers Mark has an absolutely beautiful grounds, tour and tasting. Buffalo Trace is a must as well. They make some of the best bourbon in the world on those hallowed grounds (Blantons, Pappy, George T. Stagg, Eagle Rare, etc.). The distillery, tour and tastings are all top notch also.

If you haven't seen it the documentary "Neat" it is an excellent and entertaining watch also.

PM me if you have questions...although I'm not currently at home, I live firmly in the middle of the bourbon belt.
Heading to the Bourbon Trail next week. One of our stops along the way will be the distillery that makes Four Roses.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

46-4-15.3.jpg

The Bourbon Trail is an awesome experience. Makers Mark has an absolutely beautiful grounds, tour and tasting. Buffalo Trace is a must as well. They make some of the best bourbon in the world on those hallowed grounds (Blantons, Pappy, George T. Stagg, Eagle Rare, etc.). The distillery, tour and tastings are all top notch also.

If you haven't seen it the documentary "Neat" it is an excellent and entertaining watch also.

PM me if you have questions...although I'm not currently at home, I live firmly in the middle of the bourbon belt.
Thank you!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Here’s another of those Typewriter-Pipe ads, this one for Smith-Corona, famous makers of mid-Century mechanical typewriters.

But few today remember that the “Smith” of Smith-Corona was once L.C. Smith, makers of legendary shotguns in the early 20th Century.

And having handled a 30” 12 gauge with automatic ejectors, I can attest that they are indeed legendary shotguns.

46-4-22.2.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Here’s another of those Typewriter-Pipe ads, this one for Smith-Corona, famous makers of mid-Century mechanical typewriters.

But few today remember that the “Smith” of Smith-Corona was once L.C. Smith, makers of legendary shotguns in the early 20th Century.

And having handled a 30” 12 gauge with automatic ejectors, I can attest that they are indeed legendary shotguns.

View attachment 1495428
Ditto with Charles Parker.
I own several Chas. Parker bench vises, but Parker is also well known for the wonderful shotguns they produced.

4973cf8aa4be0d9adaddeb829ec541d0--vise-restoration.jpg

charles-parker-brothers-shotguns-collectible-guns-forgotten-history.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Ditto with Charles Parker.
I own several Chas. Parker bench vises, but Parker is also well known for the wonderful shotguns they produced.

View attachment 1495475
View attachment 1495476

I know Brownings and Benellis are all the rage today. But way, way back in the day, Smiths and Parkers were the Lincolns and Cadillacs of American shotguns. Some preferred the sleek balance of the Smith, others the solid dependability of the Parker. The rivalry continues on today among collectors. But you really couldn’t go wrong with either. Both remain elegant, exquisitely machined classic firearms for discerning sportsmen.

View attachment 1495428
I love the artwork . . . but why is he wearing a jacket over what is probably a flannel shirt, in the house? Poor home heating in Maine in 1946?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I love the artwork . . . but why is he wearing a jacket over what is probably a flannel shirt, in the house? Poor home heating in Maine in 1946?
I've got fantastic central heating and air conditioning units, separate systems for upstairs and down, but the house is set to the specifications of the perpetually warm Mrs., thus:
In the winter, I wear a jacket in the house because it is cold.
In the summer, I wear a jacket in the house because it is cold.

Top Bottom