What's new

The Codger Cabin

I've got fantastic central heating and air conditioning units, separate systems for upstairs and down, but the house is set to the specifications of the perpetually warm Mrs., thus:
In the winter, I wear a jacket in the house because it is cold.
In the summer, I wear a jacket in the house because it is cold.
My lady friend Miss Linda is always cold too. When she comes to my place in summer (10 months of the year, I remind you), she drapes a blanket or throw over her shoulders. Lately, I admit, I've found it a little chilly in my place during the all-too-short "winter" and have been wearing an extra layer now and then. She has the nerve to complain that I keep my place too warm!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

46-4-29.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

A somewhat better duplicate of a recent one ...

46-4-29.3.jpg

View attachment 1496563
I guess in May '46, this would have been a "1946" model; the '47s wouldn't come out until that fall. And as far as I know, this was not much more than a warmed-over 1941 or '42 model anyway. The "new" cars had to wait until, what, '47 or '48? And Ford's '49 would be the really new one. But after almost 4 years of war and no new cars, even a '42 with some reskinning would have been more than welcome.

I guess in May '46, this would have been a "1946" model; the '47s wouldn't come out until that fall. And as far as I know, this was not much more than a warmed-over 1941 or '42 model anyway. The "new" cars had to wait until, what, '47 or '48? And Ford's '49 would be the really new one. But after almost 4 years of war and no new cars, even a '42 with some reskinning would have been more than welcome.
If that bothers you. Don't look what citroen has done with the traction-avant.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

You are correct. A lot of the major hardware innovations (both pent up within the industry, and those resulting from the War) are still about a year off.

The early post-War production was just to try and stop gap pent up demand, with mainly pre-War tooling on hand. The national fleet was very worn by late 1945, and many vehicles placed on blocks by veterans never returned to service.

However, the one big area where major wartime advances were quickly felt were in fuels, lubricants and synthetic rubber.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

46-5-6.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

46-5-20.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

He can just about plant in that cake.

46-5-27.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

46-5-27.2.jpg

Top Bottom