What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

46-6-3.3.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

46-6-3.4.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

The Dulles brothers were two historic US government figures from the 1950s. And two big-time pipe smokers. Here we meet Foster, the older brother, in a 1946 photo blurb. Foster would go on to become Secretary of State under Eisenhower. And younger brother Allen would go on to build and run the CIA during that same period and into the Kennedy years.

Allen Dulles was a very dedicated pipe smoker, and was typically photographed with a straight billiard or pot jutting out of his mouth. But he was not averse to a bent or cob, either.

46-6-3.5.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

That's an understatement.

46-6-10.3.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

46-6-10.6.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Thorens made more than wonderful turntables back in the day ...

46-6-10.7.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

46-7-8.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
"Verily"? Did some copywriter at this ad agency major in Shakespeare? Seems an odd choice over "Truly." You have to wonder why his supervisor, or the client, let it go by.
Looking at the entire blurb, I suspect poetic devices were attempted.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

When even a great room note won’t work ...

46-7-15.jpg

Today’s buyers should heed some of this solid advice not only for homes but vehicle purchases as well.
I know. The old rule of spending no more than 25% of your monthly income for shelter has apparently flown too close to the sun, lost its wings, and plunged into the ocean. As for paying no more than 3 times your expected annual income for a house nowadays? Realtors would laugh at you.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I know. The old rule of spending no more than 25% of your monthly income for shelter has apparently flown too close to the sun, lost its wings, and plunged into the ocean. As for paying no more than 3 times your expected annual income for a house nowadays? Realtors would laugh at you.
I suspect the second truism is rooted in the first one.

Top Bottom