What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

41-9-15.4.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

41-9-22.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
That doesn't really clarify their relationship.....

As Chubbins’ skirt line and heel height both inch higher, keep in mind that we are in the era of the ‘pin up’ girl. These ads were increasingly directed to that audience, and aiming for their attention as they flipped through the pages.

I’ll leave the rest of you to speculate on the relationship, but the speculation per se shows the ads did their job.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
As Chubbins’ skirt line and heel height both inch higher, keep in mind that we are in the era of the ‘pin up’ girl. These ads were increasingly directed to that audience, and aiming for their attention as they flipped through the pages.

I’ll leave the rest of you to speculate on the relationship, but the speculation per se shows the ads did their job.
I was wondering about her skirts and the low cut of her blouse. My grandmother would have been in her early 20's during the time these ads ran and in all the pictures I've seen of her from that time it seems that knee length skirts and a modest blouse were the "normal" dress of the day.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I was wondering about her skirts and the low cut of her blouse. My grandmother would have been in her early 20's during the time these ads ran and in all the pictures I've seen of her from that time it seems that knee length skirts and a modest blouse were the "normal" dress of the day.

The lake and water scenes in these … snug bikinis and high cut shorts … ladies alluringly sprawled out in bathing suits … Chubbins’ girl friends, none of them drawn unattractively.

Back in the day, they called it cheesecake.

Something for the young men to ration on their starving eyes, some of whom were, or would soon be, locked in close quarters with few if any girls for months at a time. And many smoked pipes; it was not yet an older men-only avocation.

Creeping cheesecake. One of several interesting features of these Judge Robbins era ads into the early 1940s.

We’ll touch on all this in a different context in a few more coffee table years.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

No hats. No beer. No prunes. But they still got gas.

The kids don’t seem to care. Dad is conveniently near his work room, to where he can quickly escape once the kids start fighting.

41-9-22.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

41-9-22.3.jpg

The kids don’t seem to care. Dad is conveniently near his work room, to where he can quickly escape once the kids start fighting.

View attachment 1342713

They conveniently left out pilot lights... Always felt holding that pilot reset on the furnace was longer than '20' seconds to do a relight, more like a minute or two. The stove easy, lift the top and hit the Bic.

Funny part was the furnace pilot always got blown out when the furnace ignited aggressively, that woosh when the burners fired up after to long of a delay. No electric ignition back then, just straight up you and fire to reset.

Last edited:

View attachment 1342713
I'd love a house with a basement like that -- especially that little cushioned seat with the drawers beneath and the world map above.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

41-9-22b.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Here’s one of those mysterious pipe smoking - typewriter ads I mentioned a while back. In this one, we hear about dear old Dad handing off a Royal portable to the kids years ago.

And the Royal apparently kept the kids off the breadlines, helped Sis find a husband, and made Bill the next CEO.

But we never hear about what happened to Dad after the Crash. Did Dad have to give up Walnut for Union Leader? Maybe Dad needed the magical Royal back to keep him and Mom from losing the house. I wonder if the kids fought over where the Royal stayed? And what did Frank think about all this? Did they let Frank use the Royal? Did the magical Royal transform Frank’s life, too?

Gee, a whole soap opera in a typewriter ad.

41-9-29.jpg

Top Bottom