What's new

The Codger Cabin

From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

I don’t see any beer in that boat, so this was probably a ‘leak-proof’ fishing outing in every respect. At least they’re all wearing hats.

View attachment 1335230
Of course you don't see the beer. It's not in the boat. It's in the lake tied off to a cleat or the oarlock. Keeps the beer nice and cool. If that illustration took place 3 minutes later, you'd see them all with a beer.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

41-6.1.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

They’re not making Pontiacs anymore. It worked out swell. I don’t think he’s driving anymore, either. But when he did, he smoked a pipe. With a hat. But I’m not so sure it was SWR, looking at the lady.

View attachment 1335232
Speaking of SWR, I saw the glistening bottom of my SWR can last night. After my quarterly teeth cleaning (required due to my obsessive pipe smoking), I stopped at the grocery to pick up another tub and they were out of stock - bummer. Grocers running low on toilet paper is a bit of an inconvenience but pipe tobacco is unforgivable.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

41-7-14.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

41-7-21.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

41-7-21.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Texaco print ads from this era featured some particularly beautiful artwork. And fortunately for us, a fair number of them contained pipe smoking.

41-8-4.jpg

Beautiful artwork indeed. Wonderful details, from her support hose, fingerless gloves, and well-made leather luggage with its address tag, to his ribbon-edged hat, big hands, and oxford shoes. And another "Smoke Means Trouble!" Texaco ad takes up the back cover of her magazine. Clearly they are waiting for a train (planes were very expensive in 1941); see the time table on Mrs. Grundy's lap and the ticket in our oblivious smoker's hat ribbon.

Odd that there is no mention of the weight on the oil can. Maybe at that point in time, 30-weight oil for winter and summer might have been so prevalent that Havoline didn't need to mention it. I don't know if multi-viscosity oils like our old 20W-50 or 10W-30, let alone our 0W-30 and 0W-20, existed then.

Millions for Defense was the radio show that Havoline sponsored -- and yet we were 4 months out from Pearl Harbor. Note also that the ad lists Daylight Saving times for the Eastern and Central regions, but not for Mountain and Pacific.

Anybody else having trouble getting Edgeworth Match to light? At first, I mean. In my inaugural smoke of the new-to-me Trade Winds foursquare sandblast billiard, I loaded it with Edgeworth. But the big chunks seem to make it hard to get the thing steadily lit. The leaf never went out, but I kept having to apply matches, and twice my Zippo lighter, to get it burning to my satisfaction. On the other hand, I got nearly 30 minutes' smoke once I got it going right, and another 10-12 on a relight, so all was not lost.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Anybody else having trouble getting Edgeworth Match to light? At first, I mean. In my inaugural smoke of the new-to-me Trade Winds foursquare sandblast billiard, I loaded it with Edgeworth. But the big chunks seem to make it hard to get the thing steadily lit. The leaf never went out, but I kept having to apply matches, and twice my Zippo lighter, to get it burning to my satisfaction. On the other hand, I got nearly 30 minutes' smoke once I got it going right, and another 10-12 on a relight, so all was not lost.
Yes. It comes a bit too damp and there are a lot of big chunks in it. In my opinion, LLRR has a better cut. I do have more than a pound but f the Match so I guess I’ll have to work it out. I do like the flavor of the Match though. Lay some out to dry and rub out the large chunks.

Yes. It comes a bit too damp and there are a lot of big chunks in it. In my opinion, LLRR has a better cut. I do have more than a pound but f the Match so I guess I’ll have to work it out. I do like the flavor of the Match though. Lay some out to dry and rub out the large chunks.
Yeah, I dried this bowlful out, but didn't crush the chunks. Odd that it hadn't been a problem with this 2 oz. bag before. Perhaps the biggest bits gravitated toward the bottom of the bag, and I'm just now getting to them.

Texaco print ads from this era featured some particularly beautiful artwork. And fortunately for us, a fair number of them contained pipe smoking.

View attachment 1337919

First Broadcast of Millions for Defense: It's worth a listen.

Ad flyer for Marfak service and Millions for Defense
Marfak-Service-1941.png

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Steve has it right. The Sutliff matches are pretty good, but a little wetter and heavier cut than the STG/Lane varieties.

Leave it air out for 20-30 minutes and it should be more manageable.

Their Edgeworth match is pretty good, and many like it better than the LLRR. But they're both decent iterations.

Top Bottom