What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

41-8-4.2.jpg

Steve has it right. The Sutliff matches are pretty good, but a little wetter and heavier cut than the STG/Lane varieties.

Leave it air out for 20-30 minutes and it should be more manageable.

Their Edgeworth match is pretty good, and many like it better than the LLRR. But they're both decent iterations.
That was the weird thing: I've been smoking the stuff for several months now, and hadn't had this trouble before. Possibly the big chunks are what I'm getting to now. Maybe I need to try out the Lane Limited Ready Rubbed. . . .

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
That was the weird thing: I've been smoking the stuff for several months now, and hadn't had this trouble before. Possibly the big chunks are what I'm getting to now. Maybe I need to try out the Lane Limited Ready Rubbed. . . .

That is weird. I've got a bunch of Duke Albert that I occasionally dip into, in a less than perfectly sealed giant Ball decanter, and the top layer is about where I now want it for moisture.

LLRR in the tub will open on the wet side, and a little sour on the tin note, too. But it settles down nicely after a few days and is my present daily. If you like SWR and the Sutliff match, you should like LLRR. Unfortunately, I have not seen it around in other than the big tubs lately, and that's a big investment if you don't like it.

Try finger milling the top of the fill on your next bowl of the Sutliff match and see if that helps get it going better. The finer, the better.

That is weird. I've got a bunch of Duke Albert that I occasionally dip into, in a less than perfectly sealed giant Ball decanter, and the top layer is about where I now want it for moisture.

LLRR in the tub will open on the wet side, and a little sour on the tin note, too. But it settles down nicely after a few days and is my present daily. If you like SWR and the Sutliff match, you should like LLRR. Unfortunately, I have not seen it around in other than the big tubs lately, and that's a big investment if you don't like it.

Try finger milling the top of the fill on your next bowl of the Sutliff match and see if that helps get it going better. The finer, the better.
Right, all I can see is the big tin, and it's out in a lot of places too. I'll try cutting some of the big chunks the next time I smoke the Edgeworth Match, then. Normally I put a big dose out on a saucer, let it sit 15-20 minutes, then load the pipe for the day. A little chopping wouldn't take too long.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

41-8-4.4.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

41-9-8.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

41-9-15.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

41-9-15.jpg

View attachment 1341328
I'm working my way through a couple of ounces of Milan's Kentucky Club Mixture clone. It's not the same as the regular KC, which I never found in the old days, but rather it's the match for the "aromatic" KC blend sold in the red plaid package. I'm liking it, as I liked the original before Middleton started drenching it in PG. It's not really all that aromatic, unless by aromatic they meant "not as bad as a tire fire", but it is pleasant and leaves a nice woodsy room note. Penn marketed several varieties of KC, but the KC Mixture is the only one I remember on the shelves at the drug store.

Top Bottom