What's new

The Codger Cabin

Chubbins is really a hooker from Jersey, and the Judge is her...handler.
I've been inspired by the comic series to think about a story with 2 characters modeled on them -- but with my trademark supernatural elements. Think "American Gods meets Ol 'Judge Robbins."

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

40-5.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

Norman Rockwell smoked a pipe. He painted them, too. Lots of them. This golden era ad is but a minor example. Some might argue the cream of Kentucky is a leaf, but wouldn’t turn down this liquid one, either.

40-6-10.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

40-6-10.2.jpg

Those two guys must be pretty stout, a Servel gas refrigerator weighs a ton. A guy gave me one, 46 years ago or so. I used it to age home brewed beer. The only catch was, I had to get it out of his basement. It took three of us and it was a chore. The only electricity it used was for the light; all natural gas. They were very popular in our area, in the prolific Hugoton gas field. Farmers got free house gas by virtue of the original lease agreements, so every farmstead had at least one Servel on the place.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Before Igloo coolers became commonplace, this is how the old codgers kept them cool out on the water. I remember my father doing this, and I’m sure others have similarly fond memories ... unless you dropped the can opener in the lake.

40-6-17.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

40-6-17.3.jpg

Reactions: ctr

View attachment 1305550
"This is the year of all years to be THERE . . ." True. The U.S. election year of 1940 was a crucial one -- FDR was running for an unprecedented 3rd term, for instance. And many Americans were sure we'd be in the war against Hitler in a year or two; so a lot of the U.S. response would depend (as it always does) on whoever was President.

Before Igloo coolers became commonplace, this is how the old codgers kept them cool out on the water. I remember my father doing this, and I’m sure others have similarly fond memories ... unless you dropped the can opener in the lake.

Is that why the old timers of my day (some WWI vets but mostly Greatest Generation) had a bottle/can opener tied off to the tackle box? I just thought Grandad was a lush when the grandkids weren't around.

Is that why the old timers of my day (some WWI vets but mostly Greatest Generation) had a bottle/can opener tied off to the tackle box? I just thought Grandad was a lush when the grandkids weren't around.
It also explains American Ingenuity, or perhaps ingenuity in general. When you drop opener in the lake, you'll get very creative in finding a way to get the can/bottle open. Or, you have a six pack in the hotel room fridge, but no opener... The days before twist off/pull tabs; if you weren't creative, you were thirsty!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

My vague remembrance was not tied to the tackle box, but tied to a large bobber, in the tackle box. If you fumbled it in, the bobber kept it from going down. But either way was fairly common. I don’t remember the tabbed cans until the late 60s or early 70s.

And they were still strung in the water tied off to the boat/dock/stump.

ps. Steve, I hope you're passing attention to these tricks and hints on proper beer storage while fishing😁

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
My vague remembrance was not tied to the tackle box, but tied to a large bobber, in the tackle box. If you fumbled it in, the bobber kept it from going down. But either way was fairly common. I don’t remember the tabbed cans until the late 60s or early 70s.
I am stealing the bobber idea. I don’t know why I never thought of this.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

40-6-24.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

40-6-24.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

40-6.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Just a programming note that your humble guide is going back into hospital tomorrow. God willing, I should be back next week. Some of you will have to suffer through Chubbins withdrawal until then. Happy puffs to all in my absence.

Top Bottom