What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

We finally meet one of the Big Two of Philip Morris (we’ll meet the other one soon enough, and they were often advertised together). While world-famous for its cigarettes (“Call for Philip Morris!”), PM (now Altria) was no stranger to pipe tobacco, offering several blends during the golden era. This complicated five-leaf recipe advertised itself as a “blend” more than any other popular brand. It had to be complicated ... Einstein smoked it. Most recently made in a Sutliff match, it remains a cult classic to this day. Say hello to Revelation.

40-5-20.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

Walnut. Perhaps Einstein should have smoked this one. A blend of seven (7) tobaccos, this truly complex recipe was the signature blend of John Middleton, and a first-class pipe tobacco back in the day. And priced accordingly, at a luxury point well above the usual OTC offerings. Named after Middleton’s original location on Walnut Street in Philadelphia, it was an American-English crossover. Most golden era codgers did not smoke Walnut as a daily. Even Middleton admitted that it was for ‘One in 50’ pipe smokers. It was quite popular among the better-heeled Philly doctors and lawyers back in the day. But for most, it was a treat, or to be sent or received as a gift. And lucky indeed was the recipient. Sadly, it was among the first to be discontinued by Middleton in recent years, becoming available only in alternative form with a couple blenders.

40-5-20.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

The great Einstein ponders the fundamental laws guiding our Universe ...

... "Perhaps I should have bought the Walnut."

38-4-11b.jpg

Here is another of Albert with a pipe, from the May issue of Princeton Alumni Weekly. Apparently he was in the US in April 1921, just over 100 years ago, to lecture on his new relativity theory at Princeton's McCosh Hall. The pipe appears to be a Zulu?

Einstein_Pipe.jpg

(No, I didn't attend that school. Someone who used to work here did, and the alumni magazine still arrives on a regular basis.)

Can’t believe Badger and Blade has turned the ventures of the Judge and Chubbins into a soap opera already.

I can't believe no one back in the day turned them into a Tijuana Bible - or perhaps they did

We finally meet one of the Big Two of Philip Morris (we’ll meet the other one soon enough, and they were often advertised together). While world-famous for its cigarettes (“Call for Philip Morris!”), PM (now Altria) was no stranger to pipe tobacco, offering several blends during the golden era. This complicated five-leaf recipe advertised itself as a “blend” more than any other popular brand. It had to be complicated ... Einstein smoked it. Most recently made in a Sutliff match, it remains a cult classic to this day. Say hello to Revelation.

View attachment 1304054

I tried Revelation way back when and didn't really care for it - it had sort of a birch-y note, like a toned-down VIP Mixture or Four Seasons. The House of Windsor reissue and the subsequent Sutliff match didn't have this, so perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me - or perhaps I'd ghosted my pipe with the few bowls I'd tried of VIP/FS.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Walnut. Perhaps Einstein should have smoked this one. A blend of seven (7) tobaccos, this truly complex recipe was the signature blend of John Middleton, and a first-class pipe tobacco back in the day. And priced accordingly, at a luxury point well above the usual OTC offerings. Named after Middleton’s original location on Walnut Street in Philadelphia, it was an American-English crossover. Most golden era codgers did not smoke Walnut as a daily. Even Middleton admitted that it was for ‘One in 50’ pipe smokers. It was quite popular among the better-heeled Philly doctors and lawyers back in the day. But for most, it was a treat, or to be sent or received as a gift. And lucky indeed was the recipient. Sadly, it was among the first to be discontinued by Middleton in recent years, becoming available only in alternative form with a couple blenders.

View attachment 1304055
At last! Walnut makes an appearance. This was a high class blend in its day known to be smoked by doctors and lawyers in Philadelphia in its heyday. Even though a Bachelors degree was my top level, I enjoy it from time to time myself.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I'm a big fan of the Sutliff Revelation Match. Walnut is good too, again the Match. I don't know about the original versions of these, but they are cool and comfortable smokes.
I too enjoy it as well. I was hoping it would improve my my math skills but only after reading Orwell’s “1984” the third time did I realize two plus two didn’t actually equal five.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

40-5-20.3.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

We now meet the other of the Philip Morris ‘Big Two’ duo, Bond Street. No doubt about it, this was an aromatic. And PM always made sure you knew it. PM painted Bond Street as a bit controversial in these early 1940s ads ... as if smoking an in-your-face aromatic was somehow risqué. Perhaps to the tobacco purists of the day, it was. They say Prince Albert lived at Carter Hall. Did Captain Black once live on Bond Street? The more things change ...

40-5-27.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

40-5-27.2.jpg

We now meet the other of the Philip Morris ‘Big Two’ duo, Bond Street. No doubt about it, this was an aromatic. And PM always made sure you knew it. PM painted Bond Street as a bit controversial in these early 1940s ads ... as if smoking an in-your-face aromatic was somehow risqué. Perhaps to the tobacco purists of the day, it was. They say Prince Albert lived at Carter Hall. Did Captain Black once live on Bond Street? The more things change ...

View attachment 1304519
That dog does not look happy to be there with that pipe going.

P & C has a match they call "Bourbon" Street. Since I grew up there -- literally, on that street! -- this catches my attention. They say it has "Burley, Cavendish, Dark Fired Kentucky, Virginia" tobaccos.

The original had a heavy floral, perfumey, anise casing. Just not my cup of tea. It was the kind of blend you dedicated pipes to, because it would ghost a pipe pretty thoroughly.

View attachment 1304517
Call me shallow and superficial, but I can't get past the downright ugliness of the Kirsten. I have a few radiator pipes from Viking (Dr. Grabow) and a Yello-Bole Airograte that is surprisingly good, but the Kirsten just looks hideous.

Call me shallow and superficial, but I can't get past the downright ugliness of the Kirsten. I have a few radiator pipes from Viking (Dr. Grabow) and a Yello-Bole Airograte that is surprisingly good, but the Kirsten just looks hideous.

I dig the atomic age Cadillac wing look of them. I got mine a couple weeks ago. I’m really liking it. Couple weeks I’ll get another making 4. Soooo easy to clean and smoke…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, we're getting into Match territory here. It's a real shame Match doesn't offer a tub like their originals, like Stuliff offers EGR. I'd point up the extra for that, at least once.

Top Bottom