What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

40-3-4.jpg

Still makes no logical sense, although I do appreciate your explanation. Yes Farm to Table makes perfect sense in that reference. Been driving tractor trailers for over thirty years and I have never heard the usage of 'truck farm'. But if that is what they called it, far be it from me to question. :biggrin1:

The name has to do with the proximity of fresh fruit and veg growers to the markets they had to serve on a more-or-less daily basis. A truck farm was an overnight drive (or less) by truck to the market. Think of the big city markets like the one in LA or Philly. My grandfather trucked produce and live poultry to the Roanoke City market during the Depression.

I think this quote from The High Window is my favorite, only because I've known living examples of it:

"From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class. From 10 feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from 30 feet away."
I've seen a few of those in my time.

In other news, I'm glad to see Chubbins able to get a dance in with a guy. There's hope yet!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
”Matched-Grain Sets $100 to $1,000” … in those days I bet you could buy a new car for $1,000. What gives or am I missing something?

We'll be finding out what you get in those sets around the Christmas holidays. They were definitely a gift for the wealthy of that era. Most new cars then sold for under $1,000.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

40-3-18.1.jpg

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I think this quote from The High Window is my favorite, only because I've known living examples of it:

"From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class. From 10 feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from 30 feet away."
Reminds me of the time I was going to a concert with some friends, and we saw a nice looking lady broke down on the side of the highway, so we pulled over to see if we could be of assistance. We sent the most chronically single guy among us to see if he could help. After several minutes watching him standing around and not actually doing anything, I, the next most chronically single, decided to go see what was going on. Turns out that somebody was already on their way, and she didn't need our help. Which was just as well, because her expected appearance and her actual appearance didn't align. As I told the other guys when I got back to the car: "She looked a lot better at 65."

That Hudson Six convertible looks cool in yellow. I can't recall the last time I saw a modern factory paint job in yellow, unless it was a modern Camaro (rare) -- or a subcompact of some kind, which then looked like a bumblebee or a scoop of butter, not like a car. My dream car would be to have a modern Buick LaCrosse submodel, a coupe and or convertible, with a bright blue, forest green, or yellow color available and a white leather interior. It'd be a car which essentially says, "I like what I like, and if you don't like it, well, stinks to be you. And I can afford it."

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
That Hudson Six convertible looks cool in yellow. I can't recall the last time I saw a modern factory paint job in yellow, unless it was a modern Camaro (rare) -- or a subcompact of some kind, which then looked like a bumblebee or a scoop of butter, not like a car. My dream car would be to have a modern Buick LaCrosse submodel, a coupe and or convertible, with a bright blue, forest green, or yellow color available and a white leather interior. It'd be a car which essentially says, "I like what I like, and if you don't like it, well, stinks to be you. And I can afford it."
Cars with flashy colors are on the extremes of the spectrum typically, they are either cheap or exotic. Middle of the road cars get middle of the road colors. And Buick no longer makes cars so that's not an option.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Late 1950s two tones, and Late 60s into the very early 70s. Colors then were IN.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

40-3-25.jpg

Cars with flashy colors are on the extremes of the spectrum typically, they are either cheap or exotic. Middle of the road cars get middle of the road colors. And Buick no longer makes cars so that's not an option.
Oh, I know Buick no longer makes cars (grrrr . . .). But they were never "middle of the road." They ranked just below Cadillac in cost and luxury for a very long time -- Oldsmobile (I had 2, and loved 'em) would have been closer to "middle of the road." At the time of these classic ads, Buicks were thought of as "doctors' cars." A doctor (at a time when they made house calls) didn't want to be seen as getting rich off his patients, so Cadillac would have been out, but he wanted to seem prosperous, so Chevrolet was out. Buick was perfect.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Oh, I know Buick no longer makes cars (grrrr . . .). But they were never "middle of the road." They ranked just below Cadillac in cost and luxury for a very long time -- Oldsmobile (I had 2, and loved 'em) would have been closer to "middle of the road." At the time of these classic ads, Buicks were thought of as "doctors' cars." A doctor (at a time when they made house calls) didn't want to be seen as getting rich off his patients, so Cadillac would have been out, but he wanted to seem prosperous, so Chevrolet was out. Buick was perfect.
Yes I am familiar with the "doctor's car" history and always liked Buicks myself, Alas the past 30 years or so in the GM corporate family the blending diluted all of the Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac brands to nothing more than a tarted up Chevy with more stuff to go wrong. Of course, all of the automakers did the same thing during the same period to the present. The Lincoln Town Car of the last 20 years or so is another prime example, a taxi cab with chrome.

Top Bottom