What's new

The Codger Cabin

I don't know about the rest of you, but Ol' Judge Robbins has about worn me down. I'm ready to go out and buy a tub of that Smoking Joy. I think I may have some stashed in the cellar; I'll be checking.
If I could find a pouch or could pick up 2 oz., I'd buy it. A tub is not something I want to deal with right now. What about the Match PA from Pipes&Cigars? Does it come close?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
If I could find a pouch or could pick up 2 oz., I'd buy it. A tub is not something I want to deal with right now. What about the Match PA from Pipes&Cigars? Does it come close?

The Sutliff Duke Albert does not come close to PA, but it is a very nice dessert smoke in its own right.

I have no idea how the DR PA smokes. I won't smoke it. Principle. Call me stubborn.

My last six tubs of PA I am holding for my son to enjoy. I've enjoyed it enough over the years, and have moved on.

From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

View attachment 1295968

Chubbins is scoping out the newly-weds in panel 3; if Ol' Judge Robbins is hauling her around the country to get her away from those stiffs she was dating earlier in the series, I think he's in for a rude awakening. Chubbins is getting frustrated.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Chubbins is scoping out the newly-weds in panel 3; if Ol' Judge Robbins is hauling her around the country to get her away from those stiffs she was dating earlier in the series, I think he's in for a rude awakening. Chubbins is getting frustrated.

The Judge should be a grandpa by now.

He certainly smokes like one.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

39-6.2.jpg

Just cracked open a tin of McBaren Seven Seas Red blend.
That's interesting. My take, being not from then, was she's like just out of college and Daddy was taking her "out to see America" before settling down to life. And, perhaps perhaps, introduce her to employers. The old school tie.

Or Judge Robbins is a widower (I think?) and appears to be close to the age of hanging up his gavel. A trip across the country that's starting to pull itself out of a Great Depression (advertisers, hint hint) could be just the sort of thing Judge and Mrs. Robbins would take the year he retired. Been working towards that until a few years ago. Well, Chubbins is dutiful enough to accompany him in a once in a lifetime trip.

Either way, it's HIS trip and she's coming along. And either way, Prince Albert is the preferred tobacco of such an obviously fat cat who has access to anything. And the preferred tobacco of everyone from each and every walk of life and occupation he meets! It reaches across to all. In an engaging manner. For that, well done Prince Albert' marketing firm!

That's interesting. My take, being not from then, was she's like just out of college and Daddy was taking her "out to see America" before settling down to life. And, perhaps perhaps, introduce her to employers. The old school tie.

Or Judge Robbins is a widower (I think?) and appears to be close to the age of hanging up his gavel. A trip across the country that's starting to pull itself out of a Great Depression (advertisers, hint hint) could be just the sort of thing Judge and Mrs. Robbins would take the year he retired. Been working towards that until a few years ago. Well, Chubbins is dutiful enough to accompany him in a once in a lifetime trip. . . .
It might be a combo of both. Chubbins was a late and only child, so she finished college just as her parents neared retirement age. Her mother passed on, and she and Daddy are re-connecting and healing on this trip. Since her parents were older and she had no siblings, she's always been more comfortable with adults than with kids her own age (I was like that myself), but as they travel she's finding men her own age are awfully attractive. . . .

Material enough there for a women's magazine serial, and/or a fun drama/comedy film: The Judge Takes America, directed by George Cukor, script by Dorothy Parker and Alan Campbell, starring Carole Lombard, William Powell or Clifton Webb, and John Payne.

It might be a combo of both. Chubbins was a late and only child, so she finished college just as her parents neared retirement age. Her mother passed on, and she and Daddy are re-connecting and healing on this trip. Since her parents were older and she had no siblings, she's always been more comfortable with adults than with kids her own age (I was like that myself), but as they travel she's finding men her own age are awfully attractive. . . .

Material enough there for a women's magazine serial, and/or a fun drama/comedy film: The Judge Takes America, directed by George Cukor, script by Dorothy Parker and Alan Campbell, starring Carole Lombard, William Powell or Clifton Webb, and John Payne.

I'm not so sure the Judge is really a widower. I suspect that Mrs. Robbins grew tired of listening to the old boy drone on and on about his pipe collection, touting good ol' P.A. and pontificating about anything and everything, and threw the old know-it-all over for the local bootlegger. If only she'd put the Judge on a steady diet of Kellogg's PEP.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

39-6.3.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

I’m sure “Darling” from the PEP ad does. Watch out Ed, or that blonde with the PEP might take ‘em from you. Maybe because it’s not a bent, she’ll leave you alone.

39-7-24.jpg

Ed looks like a future clown-suit serial killer, and Tom in pic 4 looks like Liberace.

In the Velvet ad, Dad looks familiar, like an actor who usually played businessmen or mayors, but I can't quite place him.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

I’m sure “Darling” from the PEP ad does. Watch out Ed, or that blonde with the PEP might take ‘em from you. Maybe because it’s not a bent, she’ll leave you alone.

View attachment 1296565
Great for a good estrogen boost fellows.

View attachment 1296565

That copy was as bland and uninspired as the saw dust filled cereal it touts…..

What is Vitamin “G”? Goodness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s old school for Riboflavin. Had a OLD retired General Practitioner tell me that his wife took Vit G every day when I first started working on the ambulance. I thought he was making a joke and laughed, he was not pleased.
I used to see riboflavin listed on my cereal boxes as a kid. (Yes, I read everything in those days.)

This evening I packed a mix of Carter Hall plus Match Field and Stream into my thick-walled Rigoletto pot-bowl pipe. A phone call interrupted my smoke about 15 minutes in, and I didn't get back to it for about that long. Two more relights followed. Toward the end of the next 15 the tobacco began to taste a bit of ashes and to get warmish. When I tapped the pipe out, there was very little dottle to be seen, so I think I got my money's worth this time! A very nice "dessert" smoke.

Top Bottom