What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

“Look what I married! … A bent pipe! It comes with slippers! And we can’t have that!”

She feeds him processed cereal from a box, so who’s the awful one?

Maybe that’s why he smokes a bent. Keep on puffing, buddy. You might want to go smoking with Ed in the upcoming Post ad.

39-5-29.2.jpg

From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

“Look what I married! … A bent pipe! It comes with slippers! And we can’t have that!”

She feeds him processed cereal from a box, so who’s the awful one?

Maybe that’s why he smokes a bent. Keep on puffing, buddy. You might want to go smoking with Ed in the upcoming Post ad.

View attachment 1295046

Tell your grocer "I'd like some of that cereal that's loaded with Vitamin B.D. for my husband! And maybe a box for the milkman, too!"

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

39-5.3.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

39-6-5.1.jpg

A buck for 3 tins of tobacco and a nice pipe in '39? Probably equates to about $15-20 today? Sign me up! (If you bought 3-5 oz. of Edgeworth Match and an entry-level new briar on Smokingpipes, you'd probably pay about $65 now.)

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I'm glad I don't have this ad's nerve in my tooth - nothing screams "cheap pipe" louder than a Yello-Bole.

These last two ads provide an interesting $1 buying comparison (perhaps set up by coincidence ;)).

For the guy with just a single spare dollar to spend: spend a buck on that Edgeworth pipe package ... or spend a buck on a Yello-Bole?

I know where I'd be spending my dollar.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

39-6-12.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

39-6.1.jpg

With the Hudson ad, you have to read the fine print to see that the extra-long car in the campfire scene is $854 (with fresh air and heat extra), not the $695 touted in big print. And I'm willing to bet the artist carefully left out the front seat in the illustration of the leg room (pun gleefully intended). Mercedes did it in ads in the Fifties, making the Ponton sedan look roomier all around and especially in back than it actually was.

Top Bottom