What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

49-9-12.4.jpg

Check out the old episodes of TV detective Martin Kane, Private Eye. The entire show was shot, apparently live or in as few takes as possible, on a soundstage. Lines get flubbed, the scenery wobbles, and the whole thing is basically a 30 minute commercial for Old Briar, Model, and Dill's pipe tobacco. They had one or two integrated commercials per episode that took place in Happy's tobacco shop, where Kane would drop in to stock up on the American Tobacco blend of the week. Invariably the banter would turn to Martin's current case and some background info would be imparted to the audience. You couldn't duck out for a snack during the commercial without the risk of missing a clue. These little interludes probably ruined the show for later syndication, but the medium was just getting started and relied heavily on the programming customs of radio. Three or four actors played Kane over the show's run; Lloyd Nolan was the best in my view but William Gargan was pretty good too. TV private eyes got younger, more suave and better looking as the decade progressed.

The radio soap commercial model extended to TV.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

View attachment 1620360
A great thread, I really enjoy the old imagery. Why do you suppose that a selling point is made of the briar being of 'pre-war quality'? Were/Are pre war pipes, or other wooden items, regarded as being produced from superior quality wood?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
A great thread, I really enjoy the old imagery. Why do you suppose that a selling point is made of the briar being of 'pre-war quality'? Were/Are pre war pipes, or other wooden items, regarded as being produced from superior quality wood?

If you go a bit upthread, into the War years, there is some extended discussion why.

Briar imports were cut off very early in the War. While there were some pre-war stockpiles available thereafter, many substitute materials were eventually used, and the best imported briar stocks were used up first.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I guess I don't know. I've never said "Alpacuna" in my life.

There was some controversy over the materials used at some point, which is why they had the disclaimer.

Still, they are apparently well sought after even today. An 8+ lb coat ...

Alpacuna.jpeg

Top Bottom