What's new

The Codger Cabin

From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

This guy looks a bit like Patrick Macnee in his prime. I was half expecting to see Diana Rigg pop up behind him in some sort of cat suit when I first saw it.

View attachment 1617745
To me he has something of the young Laurence Olivier about him, the Larry of the Rebecca time period.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

49-8-8.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Just in case attracting one girl is not enough, smoking PA moves the needle to two girls ...

49-8-22.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Time for a comparison with the viewing audience, thanks to the vast Internet.

First, our man of a million faces, David Rose:

Rose.jpg

Or, when he's not selling Edgeworth ...

Rose 2.jpeg

Next, Macnee:

Macnee.jpeg

Then Olivier:

Olivier.jpeg

And last, Scourby:

Scourby.jpeg

But only two of them appear the way we best prefer them here at the Cabin...

Macnee Pipe.jpeg

Olivier Pipe.jpeg

Ok audience, place your votes and any other selections for our best match.

The winner gets happy puffs from the tobacco gods tonight.

As I smoke my morning pipe with coffee, a few roadmap notes for our intrepid codgers and readers:

We are now fast approaching 1950 on our long trek. There are still over 700 items in queue for our digital ‘coffee table’, and likely hundreds more to be added. So worry not, there is still a very long way to go, and plenty we can talk about, before the magazine rack empties. God willing, the math suggests at least into 2024. Always, God willing.

I hope the journey is bringing back (or soon will) happy memories for some, and for others, revealing a slice of the rich culture and overall gentility of mid-Century America that the codgers of the golden pipe era enjoyed. And the simple, easy joy of being just a humble, codger style pipe smoker … the entire point of this place. For newer visitors, I encourage starting upthread at the beginning, as there were many interesting things covered, some major, others trivial, in that long march of years.

But it’s increasingly a lot of work for me and my helper(s). I have to flip through all these pages, tag the nice ones, and then they all need to be digitally prepared. It’s not as easy as just snapping my daily smokes with an iPhone (although if I did, we’d likely have thousands more posts by now!). It all takes many hours. And age sometimes makes those hours very precious. I am now investing just a few hours a week. The mind stays sharp, as the body slows. As my stamina and health permits, I’ll continue to add some interesting thoughts if something strikes me as worth sharing. And others are always encouraged to do so, too. This is not my thread. It belongs to everyone. All are welcome here, and to take the conversation wherever they like.

So as we wander into the 1960s, things may start to taper off, in part from fatigue, and in larger part from the fact that the worthwhile images themselves become increasingly scarce. By 1970, pipe smoking placements, even in the specialty publications, are often a 1-2x a month event (if that). Unless stumbled upon, the effort to result ratio becomes difficult to justify or sustain much after that point.

As mentioned upthread, the other coming change is that increasingly, many of the items are reprints (week after week, and then month after month), and lack the individual uniqueness of those from earlier years. You may catch some glimpses of that already. Again, it’s because of the sea change as pipe smoking slowly recedes as a common avocation. Elsewhere, I called it the evolution from habit to hobby (and now an increasingly expensive one). No one wants to see the same old images, day after day. So I again ask your understanding, as it is likely some repeats will inevitably slip through. With thousands of pages and images passing by, we can only do our best.

Again, we still have a long way to go, and a lot of interesting images and memories still to see and share. But the times and landscape, they are changing. And as always, the contributions and thoughts of those gathered around (or just visiting) are always welcome and encouraged, so that our little front porch here remains a pleasant retreat from that crazy current world just down the street.

Happy puffs!

Columbo

Wow, I had no idea. Thank you. 🙂

Wow, a 12.5" picture tube! No, I'm not making fun of 1949's technology. Hardly fair it is to critique the past by the standards of the present. Each step forward in TV tech has led us to our 55" screens.

Though it does seem odd to us now that Dad, smoking his pipe at home with the family, appears to be wearing a tie with his suit or sport jacket. Of course it could be that they have company coming over shortly. Grownups dressed like grownups in those days, not like Bart Simpson.

Wow, a 12.5" picture tube! No, I'm not making fun of 1949's technology. Hardly fair it is to critique the past by the standards of the present. Each step forward in TV tech has led us to our 55" screens.

Though it does seem odd to us now that Dad, smoking his pipe at home with the family, appears to be wearing a tie with his suit or sport jacket. Of course it could be that they have company coming over shortly. Grownups dressed like grownups in those days, not like Bart Simpson.

About the tie...people had better manners. People were more social with their neighbors. Not unusual for a post dinner get together of coffee or a game of cards. Some sat out on the porch with drinks visiting with passing neighbors.

Not like today when people shut themselves in after work and seldom socialize with neighbors. Heck, I will bet many don't even know the names of neighbors.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

For those that may still remember, the very early post war TVs could often only be watched in a darkened room, because the tube brightness was so relatively weak. Weak contrast, too. So curtains would be drawn, and lights turned down low (or off) to watch them.

That’s why the sets heading into to the early 50s (as in this 1949 ad) were often touted for their increasing brightness, and the ability to watch them in more normal lighting. Everything else quickly improved, too, but better brightness was a big deal then.

As far as the clothes, adults didn’t lounge around the house so much in suits or dresses, except perhaps for the gentlemen for a short time after work (and that depended on the job; obviously not happening in blue collar homes). But they weren’t flopped all over the couch in sweats and sneakers, either. Slacks, shirts and casual shoes were the usual wear in the nicer homes. And kids tended to be better dressed (there were exceptions). But as always, it did depend on the household. I’m sure there were many homes during this era where ripped up work slacks and wife beaters might be the evening wardrobe to watch Uncle Miltie or Studio One.

There was still a correlation between family income/station and having a TV set at this time, but it was very quickly fading.

I would say by the early 1950s, most homes had a television set, and most homes could afford one. But radio was still very much a part of most homes, too. Radio as a primary family entertainment medium starts to fade a little later in the 50s. Color TV remains a far off Popular Science article for a few more years, with competing standards still to be sorted out.

Obviously, ad copy tends to be on the more idyllic side of the equation in these depictions.

A movie from that accurately depicted the balance between TV and radio in most homes during this era (and how the leading news personalities of the day used and jumped back and forth between them) was The Day The Earth Stood Still. And I think there’s even a pipe in that one somewhere.

I remember repairing a few of those in the mid 60's. In the mid 60's the common TV was a huge 21" to 23" or really huge 25" TV. They would need repairing at least once a year. The day I was 16, got my drivers license, was assigned and started driving a school bus and running TV service calls on my own. People actually were happy to see the TV man coming to fix their TV that would receive 3 or 4 channels. After you finished the repair or installation, would offer you to sit down with them to eat if it was meal time. Things have certainly changed.

For those that may still remember, the very early post war TVs could often only be watched in a darkened room, because the tube brightness was so relatively weak. Weak contrast, too. So curtains would be drawn, and lights turned down low (or off) to watch them.

That’s why the sets heading into to the early 50s (as in this 1949 ad) were often touted for their increasing brightness, and the ability to watch them in more normal lighting. Everything else quickly improved, too, but better brightness was a big deal then. . . .
In Rex Stout's In the Best Families from 1950, Nero Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin is at a house party as part of the current case. He's disappointed that after dinner everybody gathers in the den to watch the then-new television; he'd hoped to be able to quiz some of the guests. Part of the setup is that the lights are turned off and curtains drawn. (His opinion of TV: "TV is ruining the detective business," and "Most of the programs are for the over-brained or the under-brained, and I come in between.")

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
In Rex Stout's In the Best Families from 1950, Nero Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin is at a house party as part of the current case. He's disappointed that after dinner everybody gathers in the den to watch the then-new television; he'd hoped to be able to quiz some of the guests. Part of the setup is that the lights are turned off and curtains drawn. (His opinion of TV: "TV is ruining the detective business," and "Most of the programs are for the over-brained or the under-brained, and I come in between.")

Early golden era TV programming was an interesting mix.

On the one hand, you had a lot of boxing, wrestling, and network drama and comedy/variety shows. And timeless classics came from that, such as Sid Caesar’s Show of Shows (and perhaps the funniest comedy sketch in all TV history, “This Is Your Story”).

But because there was still a lot of open affiliate time slots, and still a lot of independent stations, there was plenty of very interesting local shows and content. Some just fledgling local comedy stars, but more thoughtful content, too.

Besides the great religious classics, such as Life Is Worth Living (a healthy rival to The Milton Berle Show), there were excellent local science shows, such as Science In Action, a small academic production, out of San Francisco.

And plenty of less erudite great local TV programming, where future national stars cut their teeth in comedy or news, such as the early shows of Ernie Kovacs (a legendary cigar smoker, from nearby Trenton, NJ) and Edie Adams, out of Philadelphia.

The production quality may not have been highly polished, but the content was for the ages. It may remind of the early Internet as to the wide variety of nearly amateur content on what was still an infant medium. Many local markets had their own home town TV stations, programming and shows, all with their own local flavor. It was wonderful!

And many of these early TV broadcasts are still available, either freely in public domain, or for a few dollars on DVD. And they are just as educational, entertaining and uplifting now as they were 70 years ago.

Watching TV on that 12 inch GE set, once the lighting and antenna were just right, was almost certainly lot of fun back in the day.

Check out the old episodes of TV detective Martin Kane, Private Eye. The entire show was shot, apparently live or in as few takes as possible, on a soundstage. Lines get flubbed, the scenery wobbles, and the whole thing is basically a 30 minute commercial for Old Briar, Model, and Dill's pipe tobacco. They had one or two integrated commercials per episode that took place in Happy's tobacco shop, where Kane would drop in to stock up on the American Tobacco blend of the week. Invariably the banter would turn to Martin's current case and some background info would be imparted to the audience. You couldn't duck out for a snack during the commercial without the risk of missing a clue. These little interludes probably ruined the show for later syndication, but the medium was just getting started and relied heavily on the programming customs of radio. Three or four actors played Kane over the show's run; Lloyd Nolan was the best in my view but William Gargan was pretty good too. TV private eyes got younger, more suave and better looking as the decade progressed.

Top Bottom