What's new

The Codger Cabin

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Dontcha know? She ran 300 feet out from her kitchen to light him up.

Because he's got P.A. Draws them from a distance.
For some reason, which may be related to an incompletely repressed misogynistic gene group, I couldn't for the life of me imagine a woman carrying around matches. Maybe a lighter, particularly if she was a smoker, but matches seems like a pipe thing.
I realize that gas stoves didn't always have a pilot light, and required kitchen matches to light, but again, that seems sexist to think she was carrying them for that reason.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
For some reason, which may be related to an incompletely repressed misogynistic gene group, I couldn't for the life of me imagine a woman carrying around matches. Maybe a lighter, particularly if she was a smoker, but matches seems like a pipe thing.
I realize that gas stoves didn't always have a pilot light, and required kitchen matches to light, but again, that seems sexist to think she was carrying them for that reason.

... or maybe they're for the candles at their romantic dinner later.

I'm a traditionalist, and frankly too old to care at this point if it causes pearl clutching speculation among the younger set.

I'm married many decades AND happy (to misquote an old Stooges line). And I think there's a correlation between the two.

A woman smoker might carry a book of paper matches, though. I can't see a woman using a wooden kitchen match for her smokes either. Maybe if she were at home in her own kitchen, but a book of matches is far more compact and convenient for her purse -- 20 matches she can't accidentally spill in a compact packet.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

49-10-17.4.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

Here’s another one for hocus-focus players. Looking over thousands of print ads, sometimes you notice these things. Like Dad standing in that doorway next to the boiler. Here, he’s standing next to a 1949 GM oil boiler:

49-10-17.5.jpg

But he was also standing there in a 1941 ad … next to a gas boiler. Let’s do a coffee table flashback:

49-10-17.5b.jpg

Eight years, holding that hammer in that smock, smoking that pipe. He and junior both need a bath. At least Mom and Sis changed, and Mom is now sitting down. Probably when they remodeled the basement. But Dad and Junior remained, nearly motionless for eight years. No wonder Junior never grew up. Trapped in the basement that long probably stunted his growth.

Eight years. The World Record for smoking one pipe load.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
The boy's hair is dark in the '49 ad, fair in the '41. And there's a water heater in the '41. But I love that basement with the settee flanked by the world map!

Having had both oil and gas over the years, there’s almost certainly a hot water heater in the ‘49, too.

The majority of oil-fired boilers have integrated hot water supply coils in them. There used to be a quaint little name for the setup, but I no longer recall it. We’re comfy gas users.

It’s only been in more recent years that you might occasionally see a separate hot water heater with oil heat. And they would almost always be electric, not nearly as cost efficient as gas or oil, until perhaps very recently (with exploding heating oil costs).

There’s a mountain of artwork that invariably gets recycled in print advertisements over the years. This one just sort of jumped out about it.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Having had both oil and gas over the years, there’s almost certainly a hot water heater in the ‘49, too.

The majority of oil-fired boilers have integrated hot water supply coils in them. There used to be a quaint little name for the setup, but I no longer recall it. We’re comfy gas users.

It’s only been in more recent years that you might occasionally see a separate hot water heater with oil heat. And they would almost always be electric, not nearly as cost efficient as gas or oil, until perhaps very recently (with exploding heating oil costs).

There’s a mountain of artwork that invariably gets recycled in print advertisements over the years. This one just sort of jumped out about it.

My memory finally caught up to my mind on this one.

For anyone still interested, it's called a "summer-winter hookup" on the integrated heating/hot water models.

They were very popular in the older deep suburban and rural homes, many of which used oil (or even coal!) boilers, before the natural gas mains could be extended out to them, or before on-site propane tanks became popular.

And with many homes back in the day having only 50-60A service, a separate electric water heater would often be pushing the circuit limits, especially at night.

So one fuel, and one combined unit, did it all.

I much prefer separate hot water heaters over the summer-winter types. The latter need tempering valves to prevent serious scalding burns if too close on the line. I've seen a few of those happen. The hot water comes off the coil often exceeding third-degree burn temps.

Of course, many newer homes don't use 'hydronic' hot water or steam heating at all, and employ forced air furnaces, as part of HVAC-combined year-round climate systems. But not ours. We love those warm old baseboards and radiators, especially when it gets really cold outside at night.

Another happy little detour about trivial things! Happy puffs!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

I don’t know what it was with Kotex and smoking pipes during this era. But I added this one, like the last one, for the same reasons. We’re mature gentlemen here.

49-11-7.jpg

Any of y'all ever get to try a kaywoodie carburetor pipe? Was there any real difference in the experience? One doesn't see those common on pipes anymore (as far as I know).
I have a Zulu I bought at Christmas, not a Kaywoodie but with the carburetor feature. It's odd to glance down as you breathe into the stem and see a tiny puff of smoke come out of the bottom of the bowl as well as the top. It doesn't seem to smoke that much cooler than other pipes of the same configuration.

Top Bottom