What's new

The Codger Cabin

Good point. I should grab a few pouches of both Sir Walter himself and his cousin R.O. Matic. Never should a pipe smoker be without that staple if he likes it.
The tall canning jars with the wide mouth can fit like 3 or 4 pouches in them, so you can store them safely airtight without having to even open the pouch, for double insurance against anything going wrong with the stash. My other pouch blend I like is Erin Go Braugh, which I also stashed pouches of in the same way.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

53-10-26.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

Sir Walter Risqué shows us a little cheesecake on a Sunday, forcing a longer line at next week's Confession ...

53-10.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Like a institutional jack in the box, good old Wally Frank pops out again from the back pages of a typical early 1950s periodical, with another almost too good to be true offer, to another new generation of pipe smokers.

53-10.3.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Bought out by their competitor Strohs, which was then later bought out by Pabst!

And Pabst, and quite a few other smaller marques (including Old German), is today brewed by City Brewing Co. based out of LaCrosse, WI.

Still American owned and brewed, and not by one of the gigantic beer conglomerates.

Pabst remains our lawnmower beer fallback (or Schaefer if someone has a sweet tooth) when the distributor is out of Hamms (which sadly remains owned by one of those big conglomerates), and is the driest tasting of the three. And Yuengling is also a good standby around here.

We still like decent tasting cheap beer in summer. And a Zywiec if it's a holiday.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
And Pabst, and quite a few other smaller marques (including Old German), is today brewed by City Brewing Co. based out of LaCrosse, WI.

Still American owned and brewed, and not by one of the gigantic beer conglomerates.

Pabst remains our lawnmower beer fallback (or Schaefer if someone has a sweet tooth) when the distributor is out of Hamms (which sadly remains owned by one of those big conglomerates), and is the driest tasting of the three. And Yuengling is also a good standby around here.

We still like decent tasting cheap beer in summer. And a Zywiec if it's a holiday.
Old Style is another good yard work beer, made by City. It was made in Milwaukee, but I had heard it was moving to LaCrosse.
Yeungling is a good beer. The oldest brewery in the US.
My favorite drinking beer is Weihenstephaner, from the oldest brewery in the world.

View attachment 1844984

It’s interesting to see that Zippo marketed to women. Both my parents were lifelong cigarette smokers and my mother always used matches as far as I remember. My dad on the other hand always had a Zippo. He used to let me put the new wicks and flint in. Different thoughts on smoking in the 60s and 70s, I think we were conditioned to smoke as kids.

It’s interesting to see that Zippo marketed to women. Both my parents were lifelong cigarette smokers and my mother always used matches as far as I remember. My dad on the other hand always had a Zippo. He used to let me put the new wicks and flint in. Different thoughts on smoking in the 60s and 70s, I think we were conditioned to smoke as kids.
My mother was a Pall Mall woman for years. I think she had a lighter; at least there was always lighter fluid in the kitchen. (It came in handy for me as thinner for model kit paints.)

Strange but wonderful that, though I grew up around them, I was never interested in firing up the white sticks. Odd, too, in that my boyhood fictional heroes like James Bond and Ellery Queen were big cigarette smokers, and of course I saw people on TV and in real life outside the house puffing away. Darned if I know where my interest in pipes came from -- unless it was from Sherlock Holmes films.

I didn't take up the pipe until my 50's. Never had any interest in cigarettes.

Wonder if your mom used matches to light the stove?

I didn't take up the pipe until my 50's. Never had any interest in cigarettes.

Wonder if your mom used matches to light the stove?

It’s funny you mention that. My childhood home went up for sale last year and now with Zillow I could see everything that had been done/remodeled. One thing that wasn’t touched was the majority of the kitchen. It had the original cabinets and the electric stove had been replaced with a newer model. I do remember boxes of Blue Tip matches always being in one cabinet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom