What's new

The Codger Cabin

Today’s buyers should heed some of this solid advice not only for homes but vehicle purchases as well.
I've always tried to manage that for my cars. The most recent one, the '16 Buick bought in '19, was a little higher than I usually go for, but I was able to make a big down payment. The monthly note was low enough that I doubled up and paid the car off in 25 months.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

46-9-9.3.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

The old dinosaurs were extremely prolific pipe smokers. Many were all-day pipe users.

Five Hundred Million pipe filters sold ... for just one pipe brand.

Reminds me of those signs outside of McDonalds.

46-9-23.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

46-9-23.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

46-9-30.3.jpg

And they want you to spend 33% or more of your *gross* income, not your net! Excuse me, Miss Realtor, but you can't spend your gross income. You never see it! The net is what you have to work with.

In our third home now. Each purchase was less than half what we qualified for. Mortgage payment no more than 20 percent. First mortgage banker we ever worked with was in shock. He said "no one does that. Ever. Are you sure you don't want more house?"

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
For what it’s worth, red and black hunting jackets in that general pattern were very popular in the late 1940s through the 50’s. I remember my father wearing several such hunting jackets from that era. This was long before the fashionable construction zone orange of more recent years.

The fiberglass lining not so much. Those old hunting jackets I remembered were lined, not with glas, and some were heavy on the wool if I recall right.

proxy.php

proxy.php

For what it’s worth, red and black hunting jackets in that general pattern were very popular in the late 1940s through the 50’s. I remember my father wearing several such hunting jackets from that era. This was long before the fashionable construction zone orange of more recent years.

The fiberglass lining not so much. Those old hunting jackets I remembered were lined, not with glas, and some were heavy on the wool if I recall right.

proxy.php

proxy.php

My father-in-law wore one. I had a similar one, LL Bean hanging in my closet for decades until I stopped hunting. Warm coat. Folks who don't hunt have little idea how cold a day sitting in the woods can be. Add a little soft weather as the Irish say and your health becomes questionable. These are warm coats, darn fine coats. Nothing better than wool.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

46-9.1.jpg

proxy.php

proxy.php
Somebody stole my hunting jacket! I still use these for my Ohio winter deer hunts. I also have the matching wool pants and hat. Everybody in three counties knows it’s me back in town for a hunt when they see me at the 711 getting coffee before hitting the stands. 🤣

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

46-10.jpg

Top Bottom