What's new

The "Chrome" Toggle That Isn't

Hi,

Well, there we have it. Makes perfect sense. This shows that Gillette plated pieces and/or subassemblies and then assembled the final product. Which, is exactly what I expected. Since they operated their own plating stations, they could have plated any product with any finish they wanted on any given day.

Replaters do not disassemble these prior to replating. And, I fully understand why not. ;)

Great work, Captain! I tip my hat to you (and, I always wear a hat, usually a Fedora of some kind). :)

Stan

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I never was in that much of a doubt about the validity once Cap got it open and looked it over. However, if I had been, I would be no longer. This is a closed case.

Great job, Cap, getting that baby opened up and clean! And great job to everyone else who contributed insight and information!

Thank you Gentlemen:thumbup:

Glenn kindly asked me to touch up the "black" areas on this toggle. The accents are now redone and right this time, no sloppy painting here! Here are some photos:
$103_0002.jpg$103_0003.jpg$103_0004.jpg$103_0005.jpg$103_0006.jpg

It looks really great. Thanks for the pics Cap.
I'm hoping to score a rhodium Toggle in the wild. I'd settle for any Toggle but my RAD now demands rhodium! :lol:

Nice find Glenn! I certainly believe that Gillette put razors out with different finishes without saying much or anything at all. A friend just picked up a factor bottom dial ....with black parts. :). The seller mentioned he remembered his dad coming home from the supermarket with it and a new fatboy his dad bought. Just like anything else out there, a teat market is needed and this may be just one of those razors. I know Robert has a original box of 2 black handle SS's that Gillette put out just for a trial of new blades I believe.

I just received my Gold "Chrome" Toggle back. It looks beautiful!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much Cap!

Here are some pictures of it in its home.

$L1020838.jpg$L1020837.jpg

Top Bottom