What's new

The "Chrome" Toggle That Isn't

Glenn, that photo is surely blinding - Shiny Blingy Razor Goodness! The toggle looks fab...

Hi David, thank so much. I took that shot in direct morning sunlight and used a flash too. I was happy with the way it turned out. Up to this point my pictures have been turning out too dark or out of focus.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The bottom dial looks like it would be difficult to hold at the balance point.

It was awkward, at first, but it took me only a couple of shaves to really get the hang of it. Figuring out that balance was part of the fun with it and one of the reasons I chose it for Fatboy February. I'll pick it up and get it wet from time to time.

It's kind of like that car you love to drive, even though it sticks in second from time to time. It's all part of the charm.

This is "Buy It Now" on eBay. So I can talk about it before the auction ends.

$ChromeToggle ThatIsnt.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gillette-Ad...811292?hash=item2a7142851c:g:7eYAAOSw4shX4qoq

I would just love to say this is ANOTHER "Chrome Toggle that Isn't". That is, it is a Chrome Toggle but in factory gold plating. But for three observation, I am reasonably confident that it is just a standard F-4 gold toggle.

1) It would be great if the picture showed the "reference mark". But it does not. On a standard toggle the reference mark is a red dot. On a Chrome Toggle the reference mark is a bent spring loop similar to a Bottom Dial. When I look at my Chrome Toggle and my Standard Toggle the black dot between the numbers on the adjusting knob are smaller on my Chrome Toggle than on my Standard Toggle. The black dots on this razor for sale are too big in my humble opinion. (I could be wrong though.)
2) On a Standard Toggle the toggle lever itself has a preceptibly "flat" area near the top of the leaver. The toggle level on a Chrome Toggle is less pronounced with this flat. From the picture in the listing the light reflection on the lever shows a prononced flat area. So strike two in my humble opinion (I could be wrong though).
3) On a Standard Toggle there is a black ring/band just below the adjusting ring/"knob". On a Chrome Toggle there is no black ring/band below the adjuster ring/"knob". So strike three.

For these three reasons I think the razor in this picture is a Standard F-4 Toggle and not a gold plated Chrome Toggle. The case is right for a Chrome Toggle and the Blade Pack is right (Super Blue Ten Pack). It would be nice to see the reverse side of the blade pack though. The correct Chrome Toggle blade pack has the "Easy Does It" Fatboy Instruction Sheet. So there it is I believe this to be a mismatched case with a Standard Toggle F-4. Knowing the strange stuff Gillette does, I could be wrong. Would have been nice if the listing had more pictures from different angles. Good luck to the seller and the buyer.

This is "Buy It Now" on eBay. So I can talk about it before the auction ends.

View attachment 690180

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gillette-Ad...811292?hash=item2a7142851c:g:7eYAAOSw4shX4qoq

I would just love to say this is ANOTHER "Chrome Toggle that Isn't". That is, it is a Chrome Toggle but in factory gold plating. But for three observation, I am reasonably confident that it is just a standard F-4 gold toggle.

1) It would be great if the picture showed the "reference mark". But it does not. On a standard toggle the reference mark is a red dot. On a Chrome Toggle the reference mark is a bent spring loop similar to a Bottom Dial. When I look at my Chrome Toggle and my Standard Toggle the black dot between the numbers on the adjusting knob are smaller on my Chrome Toggle than on my Standard Toggle. The black dots on this razor for sale are too big in my humble opinion. (I could be wrong though.)
2) On a Standard Toggle the toggle lever itself has a preceptibly "flat" area near the top of the leaver. The toggle level on a Chrome Toggle is less pronounced with this flat. From the picture in the listing the light reflection on the lever shows a prononced flat area. So strike two in my humble opinion (I could be wrong though).
3) On a Standard Toggle there is a black ring/band just below the adjusting ring/"knob". On a Chrome Toggle there is no black ring/band below the adjuster ring/"knob". So strike three.

For these three reasons I think the razor in this picture is a Standard F-4 Toggle and not a gold plated Chrome Toggle. The case is right for a Chrome Toggle and the Blade Pack is right (Super Blue Ten Pack). It would be nice to see the reverse side of the blade pack though. The correct Chrome Toggle blade pack has the "Easy Does It" Fatboy Instruction Sheet. So there it is I believe this to be a mismatched case with a Standard Toggle F-4. Knowing the strange stuff Gillette does, I could be wrong. Would have been nice if the listing had more pictures from different angles. Good luck to the seller and the buyer.

Having been the one who stumbled across the "chrome Toggle that Isn't" a couple of years age. This posting certainly caught my eye. I agree with your points. I believe it is a "standard" Toggle as well. I had hoped that another had surfaced but apparently not. I am glad you stepped up and gave still only known Gold Chrome Toggle a good home.

Having been the one who stumbled across the "chrome Toggle that Isn't" a couple of years age. This posting certainly caught my eye. I agree with your points. I believe it is a "standard" Toggle as well. I had hoped that another had surfaced but apparently not. I am glad you stepped up and gave still only known Gold Chrome Toggle a good home.

Hi Stan. Thank you for recognizing it for what it is and preserving it so I could get it from you. It is a great addition to my collection. I couldn't be more happy with it. I was able to obtain the correct case for it thanks to copierguy (Tom's) sharp eyes and his kindly informing me of it. Here is a link to it on my website http://www.gilletteadjustable.com/f-4chrometogglegold.html I should really take some time to put better pictures of it up on the site.

Top Bottom