What's new

The Big Decision... Help!

Alright folks. I need some input from experts. Please help if you can.

I've been using the Thiers Issard Art of Shaving blade for a while now, and I'm ready expand. I've been looking at three Dovos... all 5/8"s. Two are stainless steel, one with the genuine snakewood handle, the other with genuine mother of pearl. The other is carbon steel, with the buffalo horn handle. They all seem like pretty elegant tools, but I can't make up my mind. Anybody have any strong input any given way?

Also, while we're at it, does anyone know where online you can order Tabac shaving soap to get in the United Kingdom?

...Hahaha, and while I'm posting, suggestions for a good, solid, starters, cheap honing stone?

Last edited:
Lots of folks around here seem to be going with diamond lapping film instead of traditional stones. Makes sense. I think the film is approx $9 for an approx 6"X6"(?) sheet. The best price I have found for a new Norton 4k/8k combo is around $90 + shipping.

Did a lot of research before I picked up my second str8. I'd go with the buffalo and the carbon steel (I did). Easier to keep sharp, but more prone to oxidization/rust.

Now I'm looking at John Crowley's blades.... some good looking razors. I might go ahead with on of those Wackers, unless anyone happens upon this and has radically different advice....?

The Wacker blades are nice blades but in my experience, they seem to be made out of a little harder steel. Honing them takes a bit more than some of my other blades. However, just purchase it in shave-ready condition, and it should be good for a number of months with just stropping. I would also avoid the ones that are heavily decorated with gold wash.

I've had a Wacker and they are a cast iron ..... to hone. The steel is very hard. I would spend my money on a TI or DOVO if I wanted a "new" razor. The Wackers are problematic in quality. Some are good, some I wouldn't accept at half the price. A nice vitage razor is a very good choice (IMHO)

+1 on the Tuf-Glide. It has worked very well for me.

While you're browsing aroun John's site, why not try this out for size?

The two Worldmasters I have had are both nice shavers. I imagine the stainless (rostfrei) will be quite nice as well!

I bet the QC on that blade will be better than current Dovo/TI as well.

I've had a Wacker and they are a cast iron ..... to hone. The steel is very hard. I would spend my money on a TI or DOVO if I wanted a "new" razor. The Wackers are problematic in quality. Some are good, some I wouldn't accept at half the price. A nice vitage razor is a very good choice (IMHO)

+1 on the Tuf-Glide. It has worked very well for me.

That's interesting - I don't believe you have ever purchased one from me. If you had, you would know that there is an absolute satisfaction guarantee. That's why I sell so many of them. I have had some complaints and their razors were quickly replaced or if someone wants a refund because of a quality problem I will do that. The fact is no one to date has wanted their money back. Then again, if you have purchased one from me why didn't you tell me there was a problem so I could take care of it?

John Crowley
http://www.ShavingShop.com

Lots of folks around here seem to be going with diamond lapping film instead of traditional stones. Makes sense. I think the film is approx $9 for an approx 6"X6"(?) sheet. The best price I have found for a new Norton 4k/8k combo is around $90 + shipping.

I just purchased a DMT 8000 grit (3 micron) stone for about $80. The best thing about it is that it never needs lapping.

That's interesting - I don't believe you have ever purchased one from me. If you had, you would know that there is an absolute satisfaction guarantee. That's why I sell so many of them. I have had some complaints and their razors were quickly replaced or if someone wants a refund because of a quality problem I will do that. The fact is no one to date has wanted their money back. Then again, if you have purchased one from me why didn't you tell me there was a problem so I could take care of it?

John Crowley

http://www.ShavingShop.com

I purchased a Wacker 2 years ago from you. 6/8 with blond horn scales. I dropped it and broke the tip is why I never returned it. What would have been the point of complaining about a damaged razor?

Please refrain from inferring I am lying for some reason. Why would I be? I have nothing to gain from posting my thoughts. I merely answered the question based on my experience with that razor and another I purchased elsewhere.

Top Bottom