What's new

The Best

B

Barney14

I use Proraso green
How does that compare against other brands.

What do you consider the best cream that can be purchased in the UK

lasta

Blade Biter
For me it boils down to scent, which ones smell so good that makes me want to use it!

Proraso green is a simple and pleasant scent, I don't mind it at all.

Performance? More dependent on cream to water ratio than what "base".

I use Proraso green

Spoilt for choice here in the U.K.
I like Taylor’s of old Bond Street Mr Taylor’s cream. Nice smell, decent shaves.
Well under the radar is Liz Earle’s Sensitive shave cream. Bit of a guilty pleasure of mine that I usually take on my travels.
Proraso green works very well though.

Proraso is very nice for the price. The ultimate cream for me is SMN but it’s crazy expensive. Performance and scent are both outstanding.

I find Proraso blue to be slightly better performance wise compared to the green. Maybe try that if you haven’t already.

Proraso is very nice for the price. The ultimate cream for me is SMN but it’s crazy expensive. Performance and scent are both outstanding.

I find Proraso blue to be slightly better performance wise compared to the green. Maybe try that if you haven’t already.
Proraso Blue is as a good a performer as any cream I have tried. While I have not ried a full tub of SMN, I have sampled it.

It holds it's own against the likes of CF, AoF, GFT and others that I have used full tubs of. Where it may fall flat for some, is scent. Some have also complained about white residue after rinsing hardware and sink. I enjoy all aspects of Proraso Blue. The cherry on top, is the metal tube.

Proraso Blue is my top or second most used product (3017) along with Tallow Haslinger. I'm guessing I've gone through a dozen tubes+, used from start to finish, over the years.

While I generally use harder soaps lately, Proraso Blue is the cream I reach for when I want a change. It never disappoints and would be my choice to use exclusively if pushed for a cream choice.

Last edited:
Proraso Blue is as a good a performer as any cream I have tried. While I have not ried a full tub of SMN, I have sampled it.

It holds it's own against the likes of CF, AoF, GFT and others that I have used full tubs of. Where it may fall flat for some, is scent. Some have also complained about white residue after rinsing hardware and sink. I enjoy all aspects of Proraso Blue. The cherry on top, is the metal tube.

Proraso Blue is my top or second most used product (3017) along with Tallow Haslinger. I'm guessing I've gone through a dozen tubes+, used from start to finish, over the years.

While I generally use harder soaps lately, Proraso Blue is the cream I reach for when I want a change. It never disappoints and would be my choice to use exclusively if pushed for a cream choice.
I just picked up a couple of tubes, one green and one blue. Haven’t used Proraso in several years. My packaging says super formula on them and they seem to generally perform better than I remember. Good stuff.

I just picked up a couple of tubes, one green and one blue. Haven’t used Proraso in several years. My packaging says super formula on them and they seem to generally perform better than I remember. Good stuff.
The first tube I 3017 was in 2013.

It's as good as any cream out there, regardless or price or hype. The Green is a good one too.

I know there has been some reformulations over those years (I haven't really followed it closely). But unlike many "artisan" soaps and some UK/EU based ones that had to remove tallow to meet regulations, this is one of the rare instances that it either improved or was the same quality.

Sandalwood (Red) is the only one I can't use. Scent is too strong for my nose.

You really can't go wrong with Proraso creams.

I
Proraso is my #1 choice, simply outstanding. And, if one day they come out with a true Lavender and Rose, I'll be seriously tempted not to use anything else.
I'll take a Lime version if they are accepting requests. If they won't do Lime, how about a Haslingeresque Coconut.

Oh my....one can dream. A lavender Proraso would be sublime though.

My favorite cream is La Toja. Works great. I also enjoy Erasmic. Nothing fancy but works very well.

Speick_bowl.jpg
ATT Windsor Pro.JPG

1. Palmolive from Sainsbury's.
  2. Erasmic is available in Savers.
  3. Maca Root from Body Shop.

3 creams you have a good chance of picking up on your local high street (in my personal order of preference but YMMV).

Performance? More dependent on cream to water ratio than what "base".

I agree with @lasta. I basically used soap for pretty much the whole of my wet shaving career until the last year or so, when I have barely touched a soap and rotated through about 8 different creams. There really isn't much to choose between them. You just need enough product to get the performance you want. Some creams might take a bit more than others, but not enough to worry about.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Proraso green is OK and when it is hot outside the menthol is nice sensation + scent is Great + lather qualities are great.
Two excellent creams that I enjoy that come from the UK are Taylor of old Bond street Sandalwood, nice herbal sandalwood scent with excellent lather qualities.
Cyril R Salter Sandalwood is very nice herbal scented sandalwood but not overly strong like TOBS sandalwood, CRS is one of the better ones if you like Sandal wood scents with excellent lather qualities also.

My first wet shave was with TOBS Cedarwood. Proraso Sandalwood was on sale so I got it because it is Proraso and everyone says they have a solid product line.

I have had several shaves now with TOBS and they are a hit or miss. It might be that I'm not lathering correctly, but I do believe my lather comes out similarly to the YTers. Anyways, a few days ago I used the Proraso to give it a shot and it performed really nicely. It was super slick.

Today I went back to TOBS for a comparison and I felt it was very sticky compared to the Proraso. Maybe I didn't have enough water in it, but I went from clearing up my razor burn to getting all back in a single shave with TOBS.

I'm going to experiment with it a bit more, but I think right now, TOBS isn't as good as the cheaper Proraso.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Today I went back to TOBS for a comparison and I felt it was very sticky compared to the Proraso. Maybe I didn't have enough water in it, but I went from clearing up my razor burn to getting all back in a single shave with TOBS.
Yes, step up the water volume, see how that works.

I use Proraso green

I occasionally use Proraso red. While good I've found many other products that provide greater slickness including LEA, Cyril R. Salter Luxury Cream and my many shaving soaps. These days I generally use my Prorasso red as a superlathering ingredient to my custom blended shaving soaps.

Top Bottom