What's new

The best Scotch, Bourbon, and Whiskey for a beginner

Phew!
I'm drinking some Gibson's Gold 12 year old rye right now.
I think my next purchase will be some Wild Turkey...try a bourbon out. Shall I go with regular WT or the American Honey?

The best cheap bourbon is not Jim Beam white label, in my opinion.

The best cheap bourbon is Evan Williams black. I could put a glass of Evan Williams next to a bourbon that cost twice as much, and you would not be able to tell me which one was more expensive.

WT 101. It's the best bourbon in that price range that you can buy.

While I definitely didn't dislike WT 101, it wouldn't be the first I would reach for, within a couple of bucks. That is such a tight category, price-wise though, stepping up even $4-5 a bottle puts you in a whole 'nother range of brands. Here, it is around $22-23 a bottle, putting it really close to some other really fine bourbons. What price range are you referencing?

While I definitely didn't dislike WT 101, it wouldn't be the first I would reach for, within a couple of bucks. That is such a tight category, price-wise though, stepping up even $4-5 a bottle puts you in a whole 'nother range of brands. Here, it is around $22-23 a bottle, putting it really close to some other really fine bourbons. What price range are you referencing?

$22-24 range. There are plenty of goods ones in that range - 4 Roses Yellow Label is another that comes to mind. To my taste buds I would pick WT 101 or 4RYL before any others.

Speysides are the best to start with if you are a beginner. Aberlour is nice too, just a wee bit stronger flavored.

Phew!
I'm drinking some Gibson's Gold 12 year old rye right now.
I think my next purchase will be some Wild Turkey...try a bourbon out. Shall I go with regular WT or the American Honey?

Wild Turkey HONEY is an abomination, the work of Satan himself. AVOID at all costs. It is fit only for Jr. High kids who stole it from their parent's liquor closet...they were actually doing them a favor by taking it.

Wild Turkey 101 is for many the gold standard of respectable bourbons. I like it; so did Clint Eastwood in "The Eiger Sanction"

My go-to, everyday bourbon will always be Old Forester (preferably 100 proof). At less than $20 a bottle, it is a remarkable whiskey.

Wild Turkey HONEY is an abomination, the work of Satan himself. AVOID at all costs. It is fit only for Jr. High kids who stole it from their parent's liquor closet...they were actually doing them a favor by taking it.

Wild Turkey 101 is for many the gold standard of respectable bourbons. I like it; so did Clint Eastwood in "The Eiger Sanction"

My go-to, everyday bourbon will always be Old Forester (preferably 100 proof). At less than $20 a bottle, it is a remarkable whiskey.

Old Forester is a very good and often overlooked bourbon. It's made in the same distillery as Woodford Reserve, which should tell you something.

Macallan 18, Glenmorangie 18, Macallan 15, itching to give Aberlour A'bunadh a try on the single malt side.
Got a Jack Daniel's Single Barrel to try even though not into Tennessee whiskey.

George Dickel is a better Tenn. whiskey, IMO.

The A'bunadh is amazing. It's like high octane Madeira wine on steroids.

I haven't tried that, but I did buy a nip of another major brand's honey version (I think it was JD) for medicinal use. It tastes awful (not a fan of sweet spirits) but I figure it must be great for killing throat germs and soothing a sore throat.

$22-24 range. There are plenty of goods ones in that range - 4 Roses Yellow Label is another that comes to mind. To my taste buds I would pick WT 101 or 4RYL before any others.

For whatever unknown oversight, I have never tried Four Roses yellow label. I will have to take another swing at Wild Turkey 101 to make sure I gave it a fair shake.

And we're forgetting the blends. There's some good ones out there, and you can get a great blend for the price of an average malt.

I particularly recommend :

Cutty Sark (and that's cheap enough to mix with, also works great with some ice)
Naked Grouse
Chivas 18YO
Cutty Sark 18YO

I've heard of the 'Famous Grouse' (actually my go to, everyday scotch & always on hand); and the 'Snow Grouse'; and the 'Black Grouse'... but somehow I missed the 'Naked Grouse' LOL

PS: The Famous Grouse is a blend of Macallans and Highland Park and IMHO is a very good entry level scotch both in price, flavor and strength.

And as for bourbon - hard to beat the old standard Maker's Mark for price and availability

Top Bottom